• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trouble on America's Loneliness Hwy

R

Rjeffery

It all started last spring when I got word that I would have to spend several months in California (Bay Area), so I decided to ride my R1150 RT out there. Imagine spending the weekends in Napa and the costal Hwy. I planned my trip, check tires, oil, and shipped 7 boxes of clothes/stuff to my hotel. I would travel light and leave July 30
On July 1st I had to take some vacation time so I thought why not ride up to Hartford CT and visit my sister then on my way home stop at the BMW rally in Kingsport TN. After all it's kinda on the way. This trip was about 2000 miles or more.
July 29. (Wed.)Head out and drove through TN,KY,IL,MO and KS. Spend the night somewhere west of KC. (Thur) The next day I rode from KS, to Colorado Springs CO. (Fri) Spend day and a half visiting my Mother and other Sister. (Sat)Headed out of the Springs and drove through the Rockies and into Utah/Nevada. It was hot as hell in Utah but beautiful desert! When I planned my route I wanted to stay on back roads from Colorado to California, so I ended up on Rt 50 "America's Loneliest Hwy" in NV. I got into Ely NV around dinner time with a few more hours of light and decided to keep going on to the next town. I was half way between Ely and Eureka when I pulled over to put my lowers on as it gets chilly in the desert at night. I did my usual walk around the bike to check things out when I saw CORD showing through on my rear tire. I was doomed! There is no traffic, no towns, no cell signal. Even the edge of the road fell away quick, so if I had to pull over I would be in trouble. I continued on to Eureka at half speed just waiting for the tire to pop. I limped into Eureka at about 9pm. The place was dead and the sidewalks rolled up. I found a room at one of the two hotels in town went to the bar next door and had a few tall cold beers with cheesy nachos as they stopped serving food 15 min ago. I had noticed a classic 1956 Ford pickup in the hotel parking lot and as I was asking around for motorcycle services, this guy mentioned that he had the Ford and was heading to Reno for Hot August Nights. I mentioned to him that I would be willing to pay someone with an empty pickup truck heading west to haul my bike. (His could not handle the load) I called my insurance; naturally they couldn't find my records... but the only way to Reno would be to get a tow truck from Fallon. The round trip cost would be about $1200.00 (note: my insurance has $50.00 tow coverage)
Let me stop here for a moment. Remember the extra 2000 miles I put on going to Hartford? I forgot to calculate those miles for the CA trip. Originally I had enough tread to get to CA then get Oil and new tires. Ya I felt stupid for allowing myself for getting into this situation.
Sunday morning I am on the phone with the tow service and trying to comprehend the $1200.00 fee, when I get a knock at my door. I'm thinking "it's early, clean my room later" but it was the hotel manager saying "Are you the fella with motorcycle trouble?" I opened the door and he is standing there with two other guys, "These two are willing to give you a ride to Carson City, interested"? I ran back to the phone and told the tow truck driver "I'll call you if I need you".
In the hotel parking lot is an old diesel 4x4 pickup with about 300,000 miles on it. The bed of the truck is waist high. I look at the bike then at the bed, how do we get the bike up to the bed? I walk around the parking lot and notice that in the rear of the building next door we could back the truck up to a hill and be able to drive right onto the bed! Wow what luck. Now we need tie downs. Remember it is Sunday morning in a small town in the middle of nowhere. The gas station is open, I walk in and check out a half dozen empty shelves then spot the last two heavy duty tie downs with ratchets! So the bike is on the truck and tied down. There are eyelets screwed into the sides of the truck for tying things down, but the sides of the truck wobble. We sinch things down but I am wary of the eyelets. The three of us start off for Carson City, mile after mile of empty road. You could drive on the wrong side for 20 min without any oncoming traffic... Every few min. I would rubber neck and check the bike, straps and eyelets. The guy in the passenger seat was doing the same. Then "Stop the truck, don't turn..." I look back and one of the eyelets was hanging by a few machine screw threads. We stop the truck in the middle of the road, I jump into the bed and get on the bike, holding it up. We re-strap the bike, this time to the frame under the truck. (No cars pass this whole time)
It turns out that these guys were going from Ely to Carson City with an empty truck so they could get stuff out of a storage unit. They stopped in Eureka for fuel when the guy in the 56 Ford was filling up too and mentioned that there was a guy with a motorcycle willing to pay for a tip west. These two looked like they stepped right out of the desert; I suspect you would avoid them if you saw them in a bar.
Anyway, Jim and Larry knew of a Honda dealer in Carson City where I could be dropped off and get service first thing Monday morning. We rolled up to the dealer "Closed Mondays". These guys had to load their truck and drive all the way back to Ely so I said just unload me and I will figure out the rest. Humm how do we unload? We drove around looking for a spot that would work, and we found a ditch next to a parking lot. We backed into the ditch, borrowed a plank from a construction site and rolled the bike off to the parking lot. I thanked them and parted company.
There I was on a Sunday afternoon in Carson City with a bald but functional rear tire. Reno was only 30 miles away and has more services, even a BMW dealer (closed mondays). I called around and found that the Honda dealer was open on Monday. I plugged the address into my GPS and started out (slowly) for Reno. I drove straight to the Honda dealer W/O a problem then found a hotel two blocks away.
Monday morning I was at the dealer’s front door 10 min before they opened. By 10 am I was back on the road with a brand new Metzler, the service tech even washed my bike! You can imagine all the bugs, rain, dirt that I collected from TN to NV. I felt good, a clean bike, full tank, and deep tread on my rear tire. I went on to the Bay Area CA. and even put a few hours of work on Monday.
I did not have the amount of cash on me to "reward" my new found pickup truck friends, but I remembered where he worked. I Googled his work and finally found them, got an address and sent them both some money for their troubles.
So, many thanks to my desert friends willing to help out a stranger in need!

Attachments

• Utah.jpg
    Utah.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Kerouac and HST may not be threatened but I like the rush of your rhythm anyway. Frantic little tale. Quite an adventure eh? - Bob

Last edited:
I always tell people that if they think they might need a tire, they NEED a tire.

"Don't pull a Darryl!"

(This was taken on Tuesday after Labor Day Weekend. It resulted from too much fun in the Trinity Alps, and cost me a U-Haul rental from Yreka, CA to Medford, OR.)

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 287
You have a very interesting, trip, tale and memory. Occasionally I've had the odd hiccup on the road, but it seems that guardian angels always appeared to assist. Yours were driving an old 300, 000 mile pickup. :thumb

Good story, glad you looked at that rear tire when you stopped, or this story may not of had a happy ending.

Alone on a motorcycle when you are having mechanical trouble miles from home; it is the one thing that gives me faith the world is not so bad. It is then that you almost always find some great people. :dance

I have headed out in the night more than once to go rescue a rider with a broken bike, and the same has been done for me when I’ve been miles from home.

Finally made to to the Pacific Ocean, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge

Attachments

• Pacific Ocean.jpg
    Pacific Ocean.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 181
Finally made to to the Pacific Ocean, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge

I like your photo! One cannot, or at least should not judge a book by it's cover. Your "pickup" friends may have looked like desert rats in appearance, but for you they were desert angels. Happy it all turned out well for you.
JD

right on and you have a good story for the trip. be safe. h

I did that ride coming back to Texas after the last rally in Redmond. Reno to Ouray, CO. I thought it was hot in Nevada; then I hit western Utah. What the heck was I thinking. :scratch

Back