• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Transport Canada BMW issued a recall on the K1600GT, R NINE T SCRAMBLER, and R NINE T

So a key part of this is that they are measuring dBA SPL at 20 inches. A weighting significantly discounts the low frequency portion, and penalizes the high frequency part. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

If I was designing to meet this standard, I would choose dimensions giving a low frequency exhaust note (which IMHO sound better anyway). I'm OK with these kind of regulations, I just wish they were enforced. All I seem to see / hear are Harley's blaring away, and in addition to being annoying, I think this image does harm for the motorcycle community as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In Quebec, the sound meter test is a pilot project. The actual law is a bit flawed, it actually says that all non manufacturer exhaust are illegal, and that no one can alter an existing exhaust or remove baffles. Before the pilot project, officer were probing offending exhaust with sreel wire and taking picture, if the string could go straight to the engine or it showed a marking of an aftermarket manufacturer you ended up with a fine (300)$. This was not considering the accoustical baffle like on sport bike and the rt1150 that the officer were also driving, not really coherent as a rule!

Robert

I get furious when in a National Park and I am subjected to loud pipes. Stay away from Yellowstone the weeks before and after Sturgis. Hundreds of HDs crusing around in packs of 30 or more, wife beater shirts, shorts and sandles on display, and doing 10-15 MPH under the speed limit. They seemingly could not care one bit about spoiling the experience for thousands of others. It would be relatively easy for the NPS to establish noise standards and put in the equipment to monitor compliance at the gates. :banghead

We live on TX 118, a 70 mph two-lane highway, 28 miles north of the west entrance to Big Bend National Park. We seldom get a group of 30 but a group of ten with a sag wagon or two is not uncommon. I can often still hear them for 3 minutes as they charge on down the road away from the house. This is from over two miles away. It is annoying as they rumble past, doo rags flapping. I have often wished the NPS would put a sound monitor at the entrance booth and deny entry to loud bikes.

It is the same pathetic "notice me, oh please notice me" mindset that I saw among the least liked kids on the playground in grade school plaintively pleading "pick me, oh please pick me."

While we are on the topic, I don't care to know the status of their pillon, or appreciate them questioning my ability to read. Hopefully Quebec can find legislation to fix this annoyance as well. (Maybe they require the question in both English and French?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMO.... and for me, I like the sound of a nice exhaust rumble. The Ford Mustang is a good example. Like all noise, it's the overdoing of the noise that gets annoying. "Coffee can" mufflers on the "tuner" cars. Thumpy mega-base in cars.......It's not just straight pipes on V-Twins.
OM

The tests that romay described being used in Quebec is virtually identical to the tests described in SAE Recommended Practice J2825. These tests were developed as a simple, repeatable way to quickly measure noise and eliminate any subjective evaluations. The test procedures are supported by the AMA and the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC).

Yes, but the AMA priority is fighting any legislation that hinders the biker. So, effectively, the AMA says we like helmets and quiet mufflers but you can't write a law to enforce those things.

In other words.........the AMA doesn't represent anything of substance.

Neither jackhammers nor jet engines serve to excuse the unnecessary noise from motorycles, period.

Jackhammers? That is an easy one. Nobody likes the noise of a jackhammer until it is being used to dig up, perhaps, their sewer line so they can poop again.
Jet engines? Another easy one. Nobody likes the sound until they have to fly somewhere.
Unnecessary is the key word. The V-Twin exhaust note is most likely louder than necessary due to a purchase made by the bikes owner. It would seem the purchaser of the new exhaust thought it was necessary.
I remember on the old Honda's, stringent stamped in warnings against messing with the stock exhaust. The warning didn't stop anyone that I know of.
OM

The V-Twin exhaust note is most likely louder than necessary due to a purchase made by the bikes owner. It would seem the purchaser of the new exhaust thought it was necessary.
I remember on the old Honda's, stringent stamped in warnings against messing with the stock exhaust. The warning didn't stop anyone that I know of.
OM

So the ducktards should pay the price for their violation of the law. Tickets! Denial of entry to facilities like state parks and national parks. Impoundment of motorcycles. You bet!

I used to give a $#!T about helmets. I don't care any more, as long as I don't have to sweep their brains up. But I do care about noise that is annoying and offensive and illustrative of a psychological disorder - the craving for attention.

Back