• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Topping off Clutch Fluid '14 RT

k100fran

Anyone else have to periodically (more often than I'd like to) top off their clutch fluid? I have a 2014 RT and every three or four rides, maybe 800 miles or so I'm adding fluid. I can tell when it needs it because it engages further from the handlebar. I have not been able to find any leaks near the reservoir or the visible clutch fluid lines. Can't figure out where it is going.

Is this an "RT" or "RTW"? 2014 was the "transition" year for these.
RT - Locate the slave cylinder at the bottom end of the line... if that's dry, the fluid may be seeping into the clutch housing.
RTW - Since the engine and trans share the same oil, pop the cap or drain it, and look for discoloration or other signs of contamination (thinning, foaming).

Last edited:
Would that include the "inboard" end of the slave cylinder?
Unfortunately yes. My guess is that's where the issue lies.

And it doesn't appear that the slave cylinder itself is serviceable. A new one is $318 from Max BMW. Check all lines and connections for integrity before springing for one.

Last edited:
Is this an "RT" or "RTW"? 2014 was the "transition" year for these.
RT - Locate the slave cylinder at the bottom end of the line... if that's dry, the fluid may be seeping into the clutch housing.
RTW - Since the engine and trans share the same oil, pop the cap or drain it, and look for discoloration or other signs of contamination (thinning, foaming).
Thanks. It's an RTW, are you saying look for discoloration/foaming in the engine oil? If yes, I have changed it twice since noticing the clutch fluid issue and cannot see anything unusual. I called three oil analysis companies and none said they would be able to test for clutch/hydraulic fluid diluted in the oil. They're very good with testing for metals etc. but not hydraulic fluid.

I've been suspecting a leak somewhere in the slave cylinder or other not easily (or cheaply) accessible location. No leaks anywhere near the clutch control assembly. I also suspect that may be why the previous owner traded it in with 10k and I discovered it when it was almost empty.

If it is the slave cylinder, is that a job on par with a stator replacement? Or is there reasonable access to slave cylinder?
v/r
Fran

Around 2016 there was a recall for the clutch slave on some R1200 Wetheads. I don't know what years were affected and we're not home so I can look at our recall letters.
It's in a tight spot but does not take long to replace.

Thanks. Just tried it and it says no open recalls or technical enhancements. I'm scheduled to have a dealer check it out in 2 weeks, he ran the VIN when I scheduled the appointment and said there is a software update concerning a warning light that shows up yellow or red and when it should be the other color...

I appreciate the feedback from everyone and was glad to here that work involved isn't it the level of a stator:D

Anybody know if the 2014 slave cylinder has the same issue as earlier ones? That being the plastic parts inside, instead of metal... :eek

Back