• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To Burlington the long way

D

dickhein

I left Sebring Florida on June 1st and headed west. Arrived in San Diego on June 5th. About half the miles on I-10 & I-20 and about half on US & state highways. Mostly nice ride, avoided rain but Phoenix and points west were in triple digits. Not fun!

Wife flew out and joined me in San Diego. We left there on June 9 and together rode the coast road to San Francisco. We departed San Francisco on June 12 heading North on 101 to Eureka. From there, it was Hiway 1 and up the coast to Port Angeles, Washington arriving on the 14th. Beautiful ride, really great roads and except for the fog and rain which alternated, and the cold, it would have been perfect. We're from Florida and riding in the 50's is frigid.

Took the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, BC. The sun came out, first sun I'd seen since the Arizona desert. Hard to tell which is worse, triple digit temps or 50 degrees in the rain. After a couple days in Victoria we went on to Seattle, and ended the day in Lacey, WA.

The next morning in the rain, I exited I-5 near Tumwater and in the three lane exit ramp I hit a slick spot and the bike dropped like a lead sled. We got tossed off immediately. It's a strange feeling finding yourself sliding down the pavement watching the bike slide on it's side away from you. It was doing a two point slide on one cylinder and the bag.

I got up, checked the wife and ran to shut off the bike. It was still running, in gear with the rear wheel turning. Fortunately, my wife only got a slightly scraped knee and I think I cracked some ribs. A moment later, a car came along and couldn't completely stop and hit the bike. Talk about adding insult to injury! Another motorist help me move the bike to the shoulder.

Then the cops showed up. First a local, then the firetruck, then a county guy and finally a State Trooper. Trooper sez if damage is under $1000. then no report need be made. They could not have been nicer. Firemen gave my wife some bandages for her knee and duct tape for me to try and stop the oil leak from the valve cover. Local cop was particularly helpful and taped the cyclinder himself. Then gave me directions to an auto parts store nearby. Again really nice people!

At the auto parts store I bought some oil, duct tape and some JB Weld. I applied the latter to the valve cover but it needs several hours to set up. We waited a couple, using the waiting time to duct tape our rain gear. Called the dealer in Portland but he had no valve cover in stock. We took off as we had to be in Mill Valley the next day. The weld helped a bit, and we stopped every 40-50 miles to check the oil level. Got plenty of oil on my pants leg and boot, but the engine had enough. Stopping in Portland that night, I applied more weld and let it set up overnight. Made it to Mill Valley the next day June 18th. Pretty eventful trip, GPS says 5162 miles in 87 driving hours.

We now are house-sitting for friends in Mill Valley until July 11. We are next bound for Burlington and the National Rally. Oddly enough, my wife will fly to Chicago. I'll meet her there and together we'll head for Vermont. After the rally it will be back to that great Florida summertime via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hope to see you in Essex Junction.

Dick, heckuva trip so far. Best wishes for improved luck on the way to Burlington! Hope to see you there. :wave

Amazing trip so far. Good fortune that car hit the bike and not you or the missus. A scary thought. And how are the ribs?

Dang Dick, glad you and the Mrs. are both OK. They have allot of those crash-traps up here when it gets wet. And, the cage driver's are never looking for us even when the wheels are still pointed downward.

Maybe I'll see you somewhere along the way east. I'm still planning on leaving here (Tacoma) on/about the 9th going to Boise. If I get the 1150 back in time?

Doc

low side on the exit ramp

probably a diesel spill. When will those guys learn to put their fuel caps back on... sorry for the inconvience and I hope she is o.k.... See you in VT.. john shuck

Happy Trails to ya both.

I'll be coming through the area about the same time your heading out again(11th). I am crossing into Canada, via Glacier N.P. and crossing Canada to Vermont on my R100/7,'78. I'm in Central CA. and making the loop, too. Probably not Florida, though. I'll be leaving CA. on the Saturday, the 8th, coming north your way. Happy Trails, Randy13233

BradfordBenn said:
Dang, Glad you are okay!

Have you been documenting your trip for the Long Distance Tourer?

Maybe...What documentation is necessary?...Dick

Boxer said:
Amazing trip so far. Good fortune that car hit the bike and not you or the missus. A scary thought. And how are the ribs?

You're right! Sliding down a wet highway is a lot better than getting run over.
The ribs with a lot of help from advil, are better. I can cough without pain. Thanks for asking...Dick

Polarbear said:
I'll be coming through the area about the same time your heading out again(11th). I am crossing into Canada, via Glacier N.P. and crossing Canada to Vermont on my R100/7,'78. I'm in Central CA. and making the loop, too. Probably not Florida, though. I'll be leaving CA. on the Saturday, the 8th, coming north your way. Happy Trails, Randy13233

Rain or shine, I'm going to be out of here by 4 PM on the 11th, cuz I have to pick up the wife in Chicago on the 15.

I did the reverse of your trip (on my burnt orange 1978 R100/7) in 1984 going to the Missoula Nat'l. Across the prairie provinces to Jasper, Bampf and Glacier NP. Beautiful trip! Today US dollar is almost at parity with CDN $. Too bad because things are expensive up there. I priced a K1200GT in Victoria 2 weeks ago that went out the door for $32K CDN. Have a nice ride...Dick

dickhein said:
Maybe...What documentation is necessary?...Dick

Receipts to prove that you took the route that you took. So hotel receipts, pictures, toll receipts, motorcycle maintenance receipts...etc. Basically a way to prove to me, cause I am the Awards Chairperson, that you took the way you say you took and that you clocked up the miles you claim.

If you are familiar with the IBA, if you follow their guidelines for documentation http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1 I will be happy with it :)

Dick, what a ride! glad you are safe, that must have been frightening when you hit the slick. I had it happen with wet leaves once! It is great to see another Roadster doing the long haul mileage. Ride safe and enjoy.

I've had broken ribs ... coughing made my eyes bug out for about 5 minutes. Laughing was almost as bad. Getting out of bed was 3 min ordeal. I feel your pain!

Sounds like a helluva journey and you've still got a LONG way to go. Good luck and best wishes.

BradfordBenn said:
Receipts to prove that you took the route that you took. So hotel receipts, pictures, toll receipts, motorcycle maintenance receipts...etc. Basically a way to prove to me, cause I am the Awards Chairperson, that you took the way you say you took and that you clocked up the miles you claim.:)

Thanks for the reply. How/where/when do I provide this documentation to you? Thanks...Dick

dickhein said:
Thanks for the reply. How/where/when do I provide this documentation to you? Thanks...Dick

When you register there should be a box for entry. If you do not want to hand over originals, just let me know and I will review and return. I am still working out the schedule of when I will be there, but I am sure we can figure something out.

Ride Safe, Ride Far. Better to stop today and be able to ride again tomorrow.

Back