• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires for R50/2 with Stieb sidecar

fargobob

Howdy, just bought this bike/sidecar. First BMW I have owned; first sidecar too. There's a Metzler 4:00x18 on the spare and on the sidecar. The bike has some Avons that have to go. I want to put Metzler K-block 4:00x18 on the bike to match the car and spare. I think I have enough room under the front fender. Is there any problem with doing this...running the same size all the way around? I know I'll have to re-align the car because the one that was on the front was lower in profile. If Metzler made a 3:50x18 K-block I would use it; but they don't. Have driven the bike about 10 miles since I got it. I know I'll have more questions as I get into it. Thanks, Fargo Bob

Welcome to the forum, Fargo Bob! I don't have a lot of experience with sidecars, but having a square profile K-block tire on the car makes sense. If you can only get a 4.00x18 and it had one on before, seems like it would be OK. Use of the 4.00x18 tire on the rear wheel depends on the final drive gearing. Late model BMW /2 bikes went to the taller tire because the final drive was taller too.

Go with the 4.00 x 18 K blocks. If your hack is set up properly, you shouldn’t have to realign it following your tire change. You might also want to take this to the sidecar forum. To the OP, you might also look at the hack forum, on the Adventure Rider website. Lots of good hack info there and knowledgeable folks. Enjoy your new ride!

Here’s a photo of a friend’s ‘60 R60/2 with a Ural, and K blocks:
0752C4A6-67E5-490D-A764-1E917A90ABE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Back