• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Wear - 2018 RT

News flash...its not the bike. :)

With factory recommended pressures on my K1200 I've got 14,000km with my Conti RA3s and can probably get at least another 3,000 out of them before the wear bar surfaces. I rarely ride chip seal roads (fortunately) and typically cruise at 120km/h, half of it in stinkin' hot (35C+) weather.

Well if I ride the same roads in the Southeast, the same way, running the same tire pressure, and now I struggle to get 8000 miles from a set but on my previous 2 BMW’s got 11-12000 miles
And it’s not the bike then I’m not sure what the heck it is!

I have 10,000 miles on my front PR4 — probably could go another 1,000. The rear PR4 has 6,400, and could also easily go another 1,000. ‘17 RT.

I have 10,000 miles on my front PR4 — probably could go another 1,000. The rear PR4 has 6,400, and could also easily go another 1,000. ‘17 RT.

Please tell me exactly how I can get that kind of mileage on tires....I'd love to learn how to do that, and I'm not kidding! My 2017 RT has 16,500 miles on it and I go thru tires at 4,000-5,000 miles (Michelin, Conti's) maintained at recommended pressures. I'm thinking the tire compounds made for the RT are softer than for some other touring bikes, but that's just a guess. I do know that I wear them more-rounded than some folks, thus increasing the fun factor.
I'm on my first set of Continental Road Attack 3 GT's with 5,000 miles on them and the front tire is worn out, while the rear tire seems to have a little more miles in it...this is the first time I've worn out a front tire before a rear tire, and a mystery to me. This past week, the bike rather suddenly became heavy-feeling in the front and turn in/out was hard up to a point and then oversteered a bit. The front tire had a noticeable longitudinal ridge about 1/3 from centerline on each side. As a test, I'm ordering Michelin Road 5 GT's today.....Ride safe! jb

2016rtw

I have 8,500 miles on my 2016RT with the Michelin PR4's. Wear is still very good, but I have cupping on the sides of the front tire. I've ridden on both back roads and Interstate highways in heavy rain and high heat with no issues other than that already stated. I am very pleased with the cornering and wet weather handling, just want something a little quieter and less likely to jump at the vertical grooves in the pavement.

XWingNut - Where are your "recommended pressures" coming from? They're probably wrong.

LOOK AT YOUR TIRE'S SIDEWALLS for the Maximum COLD Pressure, subtract ten to fifteen per cent, and use those numbers instead.

Probably worthwhile to verify your tire gauge against several others while you're at it.

Back