• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Throttle body clamps

enriquez

Yes, probably a silly question, but here it goes...

I'm trying to remove the throttle body intake tube (the ones that attach to the airbox) but the hooking points (tabs?) are on the backside. Please see attached image.

Is there any workaround here that is not obvious to me? I tried to rotate it but is tight as expected...

p.s. I rather avoid messing with the other side where the injector are, but if there is no other way...

throttlebodyclamp.jpg

Can you remove the tube on the right, goes to the airbox as I recall and maybe twist the tube to access the hooking points? I ended up breaking at least 2 of those taking them off, not sure why BMW could not have gone with a more common clamp that doesn't require a special tool or an improvised tool.

I had to put these back on with double zip ties as I broke the 2 and it took a bit to get the replacements as was hard to find an alternative to the OEM BMW parts quickly for reassemble to test the bike.

Can you remove the tube on the right, goes to the airbox as I recall and maybe twist the tube to access the hooking points? I ended up breaking at least 2 of those taking them off, not sure why BMW could not have gone with a more common clamp that doesn't require a special tool or an improvised tool.

I had to put these back on with double zip ties as I broke the 2 and it took a bit to get the replacements as was hard to find an alternative to the OEM BMW parts quickly for reassemble to test the bike.

I'll take look, later today, when I back on the garage.

Thank you,
Mario

Fully loosen the clamp at both ends of the intake tube.
Slightly loosen the clamp at the throttle body to head interface, just so it can wiggle a bit.
Rotate the tube first, back and forth a little, to break any friction seal that has built up over time.
If it's stuck and won't move, apply a little plastic/rubber-compatible spray lube into the interfaces and let it work its way in.
The tubes eventually come "out and down"; the end that goes into the airbox is longer and more patience is needed there, so looking at the innards (alongside the filter) while doing this may help.
Afterward, putting the clamps back over the tabs is done by sight and feel.
And as long as the tube is off, clean out any dirt in there, and in the mouth of the T/B.

Fully loosen the clamp at both ends of the intake tube.
Slightly loosen the clamp at the throttle body to head interface, just so it can wiggle a bit.
Rotate the tube first, back and forth a little, to break any friction seal that has built up over time.
If it's stuck and won't move, apply a little plastic/rubber-compatible spray lube into the interfaces and let it work its way in.
The tubes eventually come "out and down"; the end that goes into the airbox is longer and more patience is needed there, so looking at the innards (alongside the filter) while doing this may help.
Afterward, putting the clamps back over the tabs is done by sight and feel.
And as long as the tube is off, clean out any dirt in there, and in the mouth of the T/B.

Thank you Pauls1150, would try your'r strategy later today!

Regards,
Mario

The ends of the tubes at the airbox are actually shorter than what I was envisioning, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

Back