• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The REDMOND 1000!

Rob Nye, Is the route posted from the various start points? I'll probably register for Mesquite but I'd like to see the route in order to do planning. Or do we get the route after registration (didn't look like it was on the registration page either). Maybe my brain in just asleep?

Hello,

There really is no required route only required receipts at the start, finish and in the case of Mesquite riders a receipt from Pocetalleo, Idaho. It is up to you to decide the best way to get from place to place.

Having said this I encourage folks to post their ideas for routes. I think that pretty much every mapping program will come up with the same results if you input start and finish points.

Once folks post a few of their ideas we can discuss road conditions, construction and ideal fuel stops. We could even break out our Anonymous books and make a few calls if we need some local knowledge.

Last edited:
A quick question, is the registration set up for a passenger and if so what is the cost? Thanks.

Hello,

There really is no required route only required receipts at the start, finish and in the case of Mesquite riders a receipt from Pocetallea, Idaho.

Hey, Rob. I'm guessing you mean Pocatello, ID, right? I've been looking for Pocetallea on MapQuest and wondering if this is some IBA hazing thing...

Hey, Rob. I'm guessing you mean Pocatello, ID, right? I've been looking for Pocetallea on MapQuest and wondering if this is some IBA hazing thing...

Good catch! I've edited the error.

Hazing starts after you get your certificate. ;) :bolt

A quick question, is the registration set up for a passenger and if so what is the cost? Thanks.

Greetings,

On the bottom of the registration form there is a line for passenger name. There is no additional charge unless your passenger wants a pin or T-Shirt.

Best,

Rob Nye

Greetings,

On the bottom of the registration form there is a line for passenger name. There is no additional charge unless your passenger wants a pin or T-Shirt.

Best,

Rob Nye

If your passenger sits for that long you better get them a pin, a tee-shirt and a hat or something better. That's a long ride for a passenger!

More info coming?

Will there be more detail coming on documentation, etc. or will we simply follow the Saddlesore 1000 documentation requirements?

Will there be more detail coming on documentation, etc. or will we simply follow the Saddlesore 1000 documentation requirements?

Yes and yes. ;)

The ride will follow the Saddlesore 1000 documentation requirements, however we will provide some specific information for the finish.

Having said this the information we will provide will make it easier for someone to finish the ride at the rally site. During specific hours (likely following registration) we'll have it set up so you can come directly to the rally site, get the clock stopped and get your end witness form completed.

Finishing at the rally site during specific hours is not a requirement of the ride.

What is required is that you complete a starting witness form, start the clock with a computer generated receipt showing the city, state, time and date with the city being one of the three starting points.

If you start in Mesquite, NV you will need to get another computer generated receipt from Pocatello, Idaho again showing the city name, state, time and date.

To finish you will need to get a computer generated receipt showing Redmond, Oregon as the city and state along with time and date OR come to the rally site during specified hours where we will stop the clock and witness your ending odo reading.

Remember that your witness can not be someone on the ride with you so if you are in a group you can not be each other's witness. You can ask the person at the gas station if they will be your witness, if they say yes simply note the phone number of the gas station and the witnesses name. Anyone (except someone else on the ride with you) can witness for you, all we need is their name and a way to contact them. This will be an issue for your start as you will be on your own. At the finish there will be plenty of folks to sign your witness form, you don't have to get a witness at the same time you get your receipt. I'd get the receipt and then come to the site rather than ask the attendant to be your witness.

If you arrive when registration is open you don't need to get a receipt or witness we'll take care of this for you.

If you are tight on time entering Redmond I'd suggest getting a computer generated receipt rather then stressing about stopping the clock at the rally site.

Many of the rallies I've been to the last five miles to the site can be confusing and the area near registration can be crowded. I wouldn't cut my arrival to the site too close; again if it's tight simply get a computer generated receipt in Redmond, relax and come to the rally. We'll take care of your witness form when you arrive.

More details will be posted as we finalize them.

Best,

Rob Nye

Here's my tentative plan for the Redmond 1000 leaving from Mesquite. It's pretty much slab riding thru Utah and Idaho into Oregon. Shame to miss some great secondary roads through Utah and Idaho but I'll head through the Sierra on my way down to Mesquite to get some twisties in.

Acc. to MS Streets and Trips, this route is 1069.2 miles. Google Map says it's 1058 miles so I think I'm good mileage-wise.

If I leave Mesquite at 10am, I'll get to the Oregon border sometime between 11pm and midnight, averaging 60mph ;) and including breaks. Following Rob's good advice, I can sleep for 5 hours, and hit the road again around 4am. 24/7 gas stations on Highway 26 look non-existent so leaving at 4am means gas stations will be open during my final stretch into Redmond. Going 55mph ;) on 26 into Redmond will get me there in less than 24 hours.

Is it time to go?

Attachments

• Mesquite-Redmond.JPG
    Mesquite-Redmond.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 253
Here's my tentative plan for the Redmond 1000 leaving from Mesquite. It's pretty much slab riding thru Utah and Idaho into Oregon. Shame to miss some great secondary roads through Utah and Idaho but I'll head through the Sierra on my way down to Mesquite to get some twisties in.

Acc. to MS Streets and Trips, this route is 1069.2 miles. Google Map says it's 1058 miles so I think I'm good mileage-wise.

If I leave Mesquite at 10am, I'll get to the Oregon border sometime between 11pm and midnight, averaging 60mph ;) and including breaks. Following Rob's good advice, I can sleep for 5 hours, and hit the road again around 4am. 24/7 gas stations on Highway 26 look non-existent so leaving at 4am means gas stations will be open during my final stretch into Redmond. Going 55mph ;) on 26 into Redmond will get me there in less than 24 hours.

Is it time to go?

That is a beautiful plan.

Best,

Rob Nye

Would we be allowed to leave from Mesquite on the 10th or 11th so that we would arrive in time for. A pre-rally off-pavement GS Ride exploring the beautiful Cascade Mountains of Oregon will be held on July 13 and 14 to benefit the BMW MOA Foundation. I'm not familiar with how they do the IBA Log Book to verify your times. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Alicia

Alicia, et all.

Due to the number one request being early starting times we've changed the starting time to the following:

Riders can start anytime between 12:01 a.m. Saturday, July 10th and 11:00 a.m. Thursday, July 15.

Lethbridge to Redmond

Hopefully work won't get in the way and I can attend as well. New BMW Owner, picked up a 2009 R1200GSA, but still have my 2004 ST1300 as well.

Coming through Miles City which is almost exactly 500 miles from my place, so I should be able to submit for a Bun Burner as well afterward. Hoping that I can drop the slab in Missoula and come through 12 and 95.

Redmond.jpg

Rob,

A point of clarification to be sure I understand and qualify.

You stated "Remember that your witness can not be someone on the ride with you so if you are in a group you can not be each other's witness. "

If I plan to ride with 2 other riders and there are additional riders who will be gassing up at the same time, can they sign my starting documentation as witnesses since I won't be riding in a group with them?

Rob,

A point of clarification to be sure I understand and qualify.

You stated "Remember that your witness can not be someone on the ride with you so if you are in a group you can not be each other's witness. "

If I plan to ride with 2 other riders and there are additional riders who will be gassing up at the same time, can they sign my starting documentation as witnesses since I won't be riding in a group with them?

Yes.

The three of you can not witness for each other but you could witness for another group as they could witness for you.

Hopefully work won't get in the way and I can attend as well. New BMW Owner, picked up a 2009 R1200GSA, but still have my 2004 ST1300 as well.

Coming through Miles City which is almost exactly 500 miles from my place, so I should be able to submit for a Bun Burner as well afterward. Hoping that I can drop the slab in Missoula and come through 12 and 95.

Redmond.jpg

I'll be coming out from RI, leaving Friday after work or early Saturday morning. I plan on Being in Miles City late Sunday night or early Monday.

My route from Miles City to Redmond will include Lolo pass. That means leaving Miles City around 5pm and getting a room in Missoula.

I'll be on the bike by 5. and in Redmond for supper. I have to say I think your route is a little agressive, do you know what 13 is like from Kooskia to Grangeville?

FYI, almanac data for Missoula, MT.

Wednesday
14 July 2010 Mountain Daylight Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 5:18 a.m.
Sunrise 5:56 a.m.
Sun transit 1:42 p.m.
Sunset 9:27 p.m.
End civil twilight 10:05 p.m.

MOON
Moonset 10:33 p.m. on preceding day
Moonrise 9:45 a.m.
Moon transit 4:29 p.m.
Moonset 10:58 p.m.
Moonrise 11:05 a.m. on following day

Phase of the Moon on 14 July: waxing crescent with 12% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.

New Moon on 11 July 2010 at 1:40 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time.

Thanks for the feedback

Rob,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate someone with your experience taking a look.

I agree its aggressive, so I'm planning to run Lolo to Redmond in late May or June, if it doesn't look dooable I'll be sticking to the slab.

Rod

Rod,

You are most welcome.

When I plan a ride like this I look at it in segments. In the case of your route it would be fast, rest and ride.

Miles City to Missoula is 486 miles. I'd allocate 7 hrs of no BS riding. It's all slab so I'm putting in a rate of advance of 70mph, that's quick but not difficult out west so long as your gas stops are effecient.

Ideally I'd be in Missoula with 17hrs remaining and 596 miles to ride.

This is where things get "aggressive".

Sitting at my desk in Rhode Island all I have to go on is the maps, internet research and my experience to try to figure out what my anticipated rate of advance will be for the second and backroad segment of the ride. I've done Lolo but have no experience with 13 down to Weiser, 201 or 245 in to Redmond.

*If* my overall rate of advance is 50 I'll need 12 hours to do this leg. Add in the fast leg and I've left myself five hours for rest and meals. Very doable but not a lot of margin for error on the back road segment. I'd want to build in a cushion so I'd only plan on sleeping for four hours, which is getting down to my minimum. Sure I could do this ride on less sleep but no matter the route the final segment is in back roads, plus as I've mentioned previously why show up all knackered.

It's aggressive because if you average 45mph instead of 50 your leg time will increase over one hour. From the routing aspect it's aggressive because if you plan too much rest you might run out of time, too little and you might run out of energy and you won't know if you timed it right until 20 hrs or so into the ride.

I like the idea of including Lolo so I'd look at other ways to include it in my route.

Using Delorme's Street Atlas if I put in a via on 12 west of Missoula it routes me on 12 all the way to Wallula, then I84 to 97 south to Redmond. This route is 30 miles shorter, however I think 97 might be a busy road.

If I simply calculate fastest way from Miles City to Redmond I end up on I 90 through Spokane.

Here's De Lorme's take on the three routes.

Fastest (90% slab) 1051.2 miles 18:45:53
Lolo direct (fastest including Lolo) 1051.5 miles 20:38:46
Lolo fun (your route) 10832 22:10:56

For my plan I'm thinking Lolo direct. I'd plan to get on the clock at around 6pm with a planned stop in Missoula at around 1am for a four hour nap. If the weather is nice I'd probably go a little bit west on 12 and find a NFS site to make into my own version of the Iron Butt Motel. This means my overall rate of advance for the next day is 45mph and I have 12.5 hrs to do the 564 miles.

That is a big day of riding. If there was any rain in the forecast or I wasn't feeling my best in Missoula I could cut out Lolo, run slab and gain an hour or two for rest if necessary.

Being the Ritalin Poster Boy I'd also have it calculated to know how I was doing on schedule Kooskia, Idaho. That's the spot on 12 where Lolo Fun deviates from Lolo Direct. If felt good on time I'd make the decision there; do I stay direct and go for fun.

I'm thinking with my 97 RT, which doesn't have a lot of range, a gas stop every 200 miles is pretty realistic w/o worrying about running low on fuel. Looking at the map and starting in Cheyenne, there are possible stops for me.

Wamustter, Wy 190 miles I 80
Emory, UT 193 miles I 80
Heyburn, ID 196 miles I 80/84 I 15 I84
Ontario, OR 213 miles I 84

Total of 792 miles on the Interstate Little over 12 hours at 65 MPH rate of advance.

John Day, OR 133 miles OR 26
Redmond, OR 135 miles OR 26

268 miles (more or less) left on two lane.

So that is 5 gas stops between Cheyenne and Redmond.

Seems to me to be small enough chunks to not be discouraging, but large enough chunks to make time with the last two legs being shorter distance but also not on the super slab.

Make any sense?

The other option is to get an aux gas tank and extend my range. If I could go 250 between stops it would save one stop.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Cheyenne+wy&daddr=wamsutter,+wy+to:emory,+ut+to:Heyburn,+id+to:eek:ntario,+or+to:John+Day,+or+to:Redmond,+or&hl=en&geocode=FQ2_cwId6pHA-SmT73MudjhvhzErLZePQTAKsQ%3BFTbhewIdD16Q-Sm5GS-zgJdbhzFq_24b-1SZ-w%3BFQNbcgIdWKFd-SnrCRchyTFShzEVr5Ek4RyGIQ%3BFThkiQIdvxk4-SnltAJrkTarVDH-l12fPqUHzg%3BFbjKnwIdhkkH-SlhZ8uqq4-vVDHFV5TAbv6xQg%3BFfS7pQIdzuvo-CmrV6drcQW7VDGmF97QJw8tnw%3B&mra=ls&sll=42.779275,-111.884766&sspn=7.948841,19.753418&ie=UTF8&ll=42.811522,-108.413086&spn=15.881541,39.506836&z=5
maps

Last edited:
Any chance of an additional route

I only ask cause I am a newbie (to BMWOA, Forums and IBA) but......any chance of a sanctioned ride from Topaz, Nevada (site of the BMWST UnRally from July 12-15).
I would expect that there are a number of us that will be attending both Redmond and Topaz? Or have I just committed the ultimate member faux pa by referring to another club?:dunno:ca

Back