• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Case of the Missing Gallon (2012 R1200GS)

bobframe

I have a new-to-me 2012 1200GS and I'm perplexed with the fuel fill up process.

The owner's manual (didn't get one with the bike...so I downloaded one) lists the bike's fuel capacity at 20L or about 5.3 US gallons. When my "low fuel" warning system comes on it advises that I have about 45 miles to empty. When I fill the tank I consistently add about 3.0-3.5 gallons, at which point the gas station fuel nozzle clicks off. I never add fuel beyond this.

I would think that with 45 miles remaining, that is, approximately one gallon fuel still in the tank (assuming 40-45 mpg), and a total tank capacity of 5.3 gallons, I should be able to add 4.3 gallons or so...yet I never can add more than about 3.3 gallons. Am I not really "filling" the tank, i.e., is there a gallon of air still in the tank? Or if 3.3 really does fill the tank, then does this mean that there was actually 2 gallons still in the tank, meaning that my range was more like 80-90 miles?

Which is it?

Just my opinion as I come riding motorcycles with no gas gauge- I only trust it as an estimate. I would ride the bike until It took around 4 gallons to fill, make a mental note that when you hit that point on your trip meter, it's time to look for gas.
OM

If you never fill beyond the point the nozzle clicks off you are probably not utilizing the total capacity of the tank. The stated capacity is total volume, not necessarily the same as what you may actually get into the tank under the circumstances you mentioned. Keep in mind there are emissions regulations/equipment that have to be considered and those come into play in this situation.
On my '05 GS I get similar results if I don't fill beyond the nozzle cutoff. If you continue to fill beyond that point you can always get more gas in the tank. How much more depends on how patient you are and how full you want to get the tank.

If GS are like RTs, the fuel capacity decreased when BMW changed from fuel strip to float. Did you download the correct manual?

I can only relate my experience with my 06 R12RT. Until I had the fuel strip replaced about 4 months ago, my fuel gage was overly optimistic, showing 1 1/2 gallons and 60 miles of range to empty even as the bike was running out of gas. Now since having the fuel strip replaced, when the low fuel warning light comes on and I stop and fill up, I can't get more than around 5 gallons of gas before the tank is full. The RT has a 7 gallon tank. My guess is you still have a couple of gallons left in the tank. Only way to know for sure is to carry a small container of gas with you and ride till empty. Then you will truly know what the range is.

Get a gallon can of gas and go for a ride. When you run out add the gallon and go directly to the nearest station. Fill the tank. Do a little math to account for the distance between adding the gallon and arriving at the station.

In the older days when there was a low-fuel light I recorded both miles to low fuel and then miles to sputtering. I did this every time I got a different bike. The last time I did this with my K75RTP I didn't even need to use the gallon I had. When it started to sputter out of fuel I coasted in to the only gas station within 30 miles. :) I had actually figured out about when I expected to run out so was hovering fairly close to the station.

at which point the gas station fuel nozzle clicks off. I never add fuel beyond this.

On my '13 RT the nozzle goes pretty far into the tank. I normally just pull the nozzle out a little and add gas until I can see it coming up. Adds at least a gallon.

My tank is 6.6 gallons and if I run down to under 10 miles left, I can add 6 gallons. I figure the .6 is my reserve

I've put more than 5 gallons of gas into both my '05 and '13 GS. When the "reserve" light comes on the tank will take about 3.8 gallons to automatic pump shutoff. I can then add about another 0.5 gallons by lifting the nozzle a little bit and SLOWLY adding fuel. This is hard to do with some gas pumps as they seem to only have two flow rates... off and full on.

The times I've put in more that 5 gallons I'd run the bike down to single digits on the guestimated range remaining.

Edit: that's using California pumps with the air condom. A non-Cal pump nozzle might go further into the tank. If that is the case the pump auto shut off might occur even sooner.

...when the low fuel warning light comes on and I stop and fill up, I can't get more than around 5 gallons of gas before the tank is full. The RT has a 7 gallon tank. My guess is you still have a couple of gallons left in the tank.

This pretty much matches my RT. I have ridden as much as 30 miles past zero miles-to-empty and apparently still had about a half gallon left. For peace of mind, I start looking for gas at 250 miles (~5 gallons), which is well before the light comes on. After MTE hits zero, I'm feel I'm running on "emergency reserve".

the missing gallon

I am of the belief that it is a faulty fuel strip. On my 2013 GSA I average about 39 to 42 miles to the gallon according to the on-board computer. Now when I fill the bike up often it will read 288 miles till empty. At a minimum the 8.7 gallon tank ( 1 gallon reserve) should yeild at least 300 plus miles. Unless the on-baord is calculating based on a 7.7 gllon tank but I find that hard to believe. Dealer inquires were made and I was told to deal with it , its the tape. When it breaks you'll get a new one. It drives me crazy.

I am of the belief that it is a faulty fuel strip. On my 2013 GSA I average about 39 to 42 miles to the gallon according to the on-board computer. Now when I fill the bike up often it will read 288 miles till empty. At a minimum the 8.7 gallon tank ( 1 gallon reserve) should yeild at least 300 plus miles. Unless the on-baord is calculating based on a 7.7 gllon tank but I find that hard to believe. Dealer inquires were made and I was told to deal with it , its the tape. When it breaks you'll get a new one. It drives me crazy.

Trip meter broken?

I am puzzled by the description of filling until the auto-shutoff clicks the nozzle off. The reason I am puzzled is that I can usually stick at least 3 to 4 inches of the nozzle down into the tank. That 3 or 4 inches accounts for at least one gallon and maybe as much as 1.5 gallons which can be added after the nozzle clicks off. I'm describing traditional tanks as on my K75s and R1150R. But even on the underseat tanks on my F650 single and Voni's F800S I could add at least a gallon after click-off. So what is the logic of quitting when it clicks off instead of filling the tank?

Last edited:
I am puzzled by the description of filling until the auto-shutoff clicks the nozzle off. The reason I am pizzled is that I can usually stick at least 3 to 4 inches of the nozzle down into the tank. That 3 or 4 inches accounts for at least one gallon and maybe as much as 1.5 gallons which can be added after the nozzle clicks off. I'm describing traditional tanks as on my K75s and R1150R. But even on the underseat tanks on my F650 single and Voni's F800S I could add at least a gallon after click-off. So what is the logic of quitting when it clicks off instead of filling the tank?
Paul - I've heard a couple of reasons for limiting the amount you fill into the tank.

1. Provide room for volume expansion as the fuel warms. On the newer tanks the overflow will go to the charcoal canister, and it's not a particularly good thing to flood that canister with liquid as it then won't easily allow air to flow the other way as fuel is pulled out of the tank. When the overflow just runs onto the ground, not so good of an argument.

2. Relating to #1 above, on at least the RTs and GSs I've seen, the point where the vapor fitting takes off from the top of the fuel pump is lower than the top of the fill neck. So, if you fill full up, you run the risk of fuel gravity flowing out the vapor canister. This advocates for stopping the fueling a bit before the top.

But I agree, it's quite reasonable to fill additionally after the pump shuts off. That gets a bit more difficult when you have the vapor recovery nanny nozzles that we do in California. I often add another quarter gallon or so after the pump shuts off. Maybe not huge, but I've been places where 10-15 gallons additional range made me a bit more comfortable.

JayJay

I reset the values on most fill ups, the onboard figures your mpg average and miles to go on previous riding session from what I have resd and experienced.You drive 55 all day, it will show a high mpg and miles to go...you ride 80 in western states and it drops
I also thought the 2013 went back to the float...the fiche shows both setups:dunno

And on my GSA, hard to not stop before the tank is empty...my personal tank is usually full around 250.H's R12R needs fuel about 225, so a non issue most the time.

Trip meter broken?

Paul, i do reset the trip meter just because i don't trust the DTE on the computer. I am of the belief that the DTE reading is in my favor since as I said it always seems to short me at least what i think should be another 50 miles or so. Perhaps I am wrong but the DTE reading to me seems like it should be nothing more than average mileage times volume of fuel in the tank . This is why i think it is the strip not accurately calculating the fuel volume.

Paul, i do reset the trip meter just because i don't trust the DTE on the computer. I am of the belief that the DTE reading is in my favor since as I said it always seems to short me at least what i think should be another 50 miles or so. Perhaps I am wrong but the DTE reading to me seems like it should be nothing more than average mileage times volume of fuel in the tank . This is why i think it is the strip not accurately calculating the fuel volume.

Are you also resetting the average consumption and average speed values?

1. Don't run the tank 'dry.' Some fuel used to lubricate/cool the fuel pump.

2. Only put the nozzle from the pump into the filler neck till it reaches the lower end of it (about 3-3.5 in.) - then fill your tank 'hands-on' till gas reaches low end of filler neck - done.

3. Keep in mind that trip meters are not a 100% reliable system, simply because your mileage will vary between city and highway, with wind, topography and other factors also entering the equation. I've met riders pushing their empty bikes because they relied on trip meters without a healthy margin of error.

Good Luck! :thumb

Same Problem

For what it is worth, my 2011 R12GS has the exact same issue. I have asked the dealer about it, he had no thoughts of merit. Overall, I have have learned to just ignore it. I consider that 0 miles to go mark "on the reserve". I did get it to zero miles to go last summer, and still the tank did not take the full amount the manual indicates. Usually, I'm ready for a leg stretch and brain reset anyway.

For what it is worth, my 2011 R12GS has the exact same issue. I have asked the dealer about it, he had no thoughts of merit. Overall, I have have learned to just ignore it. I consider that 0 miles to go mark "on the reserve". I did get it to zero miles to go last summer, and still the tank did not take the full amount the manual indicates. Usually, I'm ready for a leg stretch and brain reset anyway.
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Side or center stand?

I have a new-to-me 2012 1200GS and I'm perplexed with the fuel fill up process.

The owner's manual (didn't get one with the bike...so I downloaded one) lists the bike's fuel capacity at 20L or about 5.3 US gallons. When my "low fuel" warning system comes on it advises that I have about 45 miles to empty. When I fill the tank I consistently add about 3.0-3.5 gallons, at which point the gas station fuel nozzle clicks off. I never add fuel beyond this.

I would think that with 45 miles remaining, that is, approximately one gallon fuel still in the tank (assuming 40-45 mpg), and a total tank capacity of 5.3 gallons, I should be able to add 4.3 gallons or so...yet I never can add more than about 3.3 gallons. Am I not really "filling" the tank, i.e., is there a gallon of air still in the tank? Or if 3.3 really does fill the tank, then does this mean that there was actually 2 gallons still in the tank, meaning that my range was more like 80-90 miles?

Which is it?

For what it's worth, on my RT and R bikes I always put the bike on the center stand which, I assume, gives me the best position to (carefully) fill to the top of the tank (not the fill hole!) while leaving as little air space in the tank as possible. When packed for long camping trips, I've been known to ask for a hand in getting it on the center stand. I also assume the fill volume is more consistent than on side stand fills.

Back