• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

You do not exaggerate! Jeez, we really need to do something about this… maybe something like RevZilla’s “Get On” advrally at our rally? :dunno

That’s because BMW is pursuing conquest sales (sales to riders of other brands) and also because Sturgis is also covered with cruiser riders and the R18 is targeted to “the rest of Sturgis” market. You probably already know this, given your location.

We are considered to be already in the fold.

Maybe we need to invite HoYaKaSu, KTM, Moto-Guzzi and Triumph to Springfield next year? :ha

When it comes down to it, there are 5,000 people at our rally, 300,000+ in Sturgis.

Maybe we could resurrect the old Beemer get-together at Sturgis…. I know the ideal location. :evil
The Revzilla AdvFest is two weeks before the "Sturgis Rally". It is being held at the Buffalo Chip. BMW and HD are apparently bringing ADV Bikes for demo rides.

https://www.revzilla.com/adv-fest

You do not exaggerate! Jeez, we really need to do something about this… maybe something like RevZilla’s “Get On” advrally at our rally? :dunno

That’s because BMW is pursuing conquest sales (sales to riders of other brands) and also because Sturgis is also covered with cruiser riders and the R18 is targeted to “the rest of Sturgis” market. You probably already know this, given your location.

We are considered to be already in the fold.

Maybe we need to invite HoYaKaSu, KTM, Moto-Guzzi and Triumph to Springfield next year? :ha

When it comes down to it, there are 5,000 people at our rally, 300,000+ in Sturgis.

Maybe we could resurrect the old Beemer get-together at Sturgis…. I know the ideal location. :evil

I’ve been going to MOA rallies since 1987. The only other time I remember BMW not doing demo rides was maybe 20 years ago and Moto Guzzi was there. You can bet BMW was there the next year.

I’d like to ride a new Tiger 1200. Hope Triumph comes to Springfield.

The only other time I remember BMW not doing demo rides was maybe 20 years ago and Moto Guzzi was there. You can bet BMW was there the next year.

There is a certain “cranky Yankee” that was responsible for that!

They are fast, but somewhat top-heavy, which is a challenge for shorter riders.

I’ve been going to MOA rallies since 1987. The only other time I remember BMW not doing demo rides was maybe 20 years ago and Moto Guzzi was there. You can bet BMW was there the next year.

BMW did not attend the rally the year that AMA vintage days had BMW as the featured marque. Not sure the year but I was at Vintage days that year and recall the MOA Folks being upset. Was around 2005?

BMW did not attend the rally the year that AMA vintage days had BMW as the featured marque. Not sure the year but I was at Vintage days that year and recall the MOA Folks being upset. Was around 2005?

I was there too but I believe that was the RA rally, not MOA.

I was there too but I believe that was the RA rally, not MOA.

Did you mean "RA" members (not rally?)

I was a member of both in 2004, and attended AMA Vintage Days... and "yes", I also was perplexed by the absence of MOTORRAD.

I purchased a Honda later that year.

In the 80's and 90's BMW always had demo rides at Daytona, I was riding Suzuki then and switched to FJR1300 based on rides around 2002, BMW was not present. I purchased 4 FJR's '03, '07, '11, and '13 and finally purchasing a 2016 BMWR1200GS without even taking a test ride. I always wanted a K1200RS based on a demo ride. I guess BMW figures the people at a BMW rally are already loyal to the brand, but you think you would get new customers at non-specific BMW rallies. AT 78 yrs old the GS fits fine, already have ~50,000 miles.

I only recall R18 demo rides at Daytona this year. Just got the following from my guys and gals at BMW of Grand Rapids, MI. I think NA is pushing the R18 trying to get the Motor Company crowd and the Motor Company is pushing the Pan America trying to get the GS crowd.

R18 Rides Rebel Roads.jpg

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

The management of BMW Motorrad USA has swung back and fourth over the years from catering to the MOA membership to ignoring it. Sometimes their thinking seems to be that the MOA is a bunch of old touring riders (NOT their future). Other times we are seen as ambassadors of the brand. However, the primary pattern has been mostly ambivalence and reluctance to spend the large money providing their demo truck - and it is very costly. From a business standpoint it's not unreasonable to argue that if you have to choose between having your demo truck at a gathering of The Faithful or one of potential new customers, the latter is the better choice.

We'll see how next year goes as the MOA's 50th Anniversary with Motorrad's 100th Anniversary following in 2023.

Not sure how many trucks, loaded with bikes, BMW is operating. The (A) truck just made day stops at all 4 MAX locations, appointments suggested for available bikes/time slots. I would have to guess that efficiency dictates making a “loop” out of the visitation route.
I think it would be nice to have a truckload of bikes at a rally, considering the past year, I’m happy the rally went off so well and the truckload of bikes is making the rounds.
Keep an out at the dealership of your choice and have a test ride when it’s the (your) dealership’s turn to host the truck.
From what Wayne posted, looks like it’s headed west.
OM

My first Rally - I enjoyed volunteering and meeting new folks.

Big events aren't really my thing.

At almost 70 I was surprised to be one of the younger attendees.

Really surprised BMW Motorrad chose not to attend the National Rally but apparently will be at the Revzilla AdvFest in Sturgis later this month?

I worked the Ambassador Booth for two hours Thursday afternoon, and it was non-stop first time rally attendees. I would estimate 50% of them were under 40. My definition of a young BMW rider - given the costs of the bikes, and other lifestyle requirements to travel by bike - is 35+, so I found this encouraging.

The Montana Club is seeing rapid growth with many of the new members being under 50. This is good; very good, but it may cause some angst among older, long-time members as the "kids" take control. Change is coming and for good or ill it may include some fundamental changes in the culture of the MOA. We may have some, or many, long-time members who leave with their noses out of joint, or stay and grumble deeply, loudly and often. Should be good times.

The Montana Club is seeing rapid growth with many of the new members being under 50. This is good; very good, but it may cause some angst among older, long-time members as the "kids" take control. Change is coming and for good or ill it may include some fundamental changes in the culture of the MOA. We may have some, or many, long-time members who leave with their noses out of joint, or stay and grumble deeply, loudly and often. Should be good times.

Change is almost always good.

Had a Great Time and Great Falls was Great!

I attended the Rally in Great Falls and had a great time. It was "sort of" my first rally - OK, the one in Salt Lake was my first and it coincided with my return to riding and first BMW after a 27 year hiatus from motorcycles, so I did not have a full experience at the SLC one as I was a bit overwhelmed as an excited newbie. Also, I live in SLC so as a local, life at home and work got in the way that week and I didn't get to attend as many things as I would have liked.

I hotel stayed at the Travelodge downtown. Older hotel undergoing renovations and there were a lot of things that needed some major TLC. But, it was cheap, had an underground parking garage and the room was clean. The underground garage was a bonus for security as I worried about being parked in too visible a location. (After 27 years without a bike I am possessive of this one!) If only that damn swimming pool was not sitting there empty and mocking me, I would have been set!

Met some great folks at the rally and also had some laughs and good conversations with complete strangers over dinner or drinks at various places I went in GF. As a beer aficionado I really enjoyed the Brew Fest and thought that was a great idea. Although more limited in a small town I was able to work my volunteer shift on Friday morning, ride back to my hotel and park the bike and then catch an Uber ride back to the venue for the Brew Fest. Drank way too much and then managed to share an Uber back with a guy from North or South Carolina. (Uber app says "no cars available" - you force it by scheduling a time and it worked just fine. Maybe waited 10 minutes for a ride.)

Remembering all the vendors at the SLC Rally, I wish there were more at this one BUT I understand the difficulties with the last year of shut downs, uncertainty of how many were actually going to attend and the amount of planning and time and resources it takes a company to attend so it is not that surprising that many were absent since we are still in the "reopening phase" in some ways. Still, would have loved to see Touratech and Givi and some others there as I am considering purchasing some of their wares and would have liked to see/touch feel in person.

Took a BMW training/riding course which was fun. Was very disappointed that BMW corporate did not have a presence there and no demo bikes. I know others talk of the logistics and business decisions on that BUT I still find it to be inexcusable to not have them there. I supposed that one year GM, Ford and Chrysler could suddenly decide that there was no need for them to attend the North American International Autoshow in Detroit but that would seem odd. Again, I know there is a lot that goes into those decisions but it would have been nice to have them there.

Overall, a great time and I found the locals in Great Falls and nearby to be friendly and welcoming. Kudos to all the folks that helped set up and pull off a successful rally! Cheers! D.

Back