• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tank Bag for a 1978 R100S

SGTBILL

The Big Red One
Hello Airhead fans. I have a 1978 R100S which is painted in Motorsport white with the original paint and pin stripes. I'd like to add a tank bag for my day rides to carry an extra pair of gloves and a few other small items. I sold a 45 liter Harro ElefantenBoy a couple of years back. It had sat on a shelf in my garage for about 25 years. It was put to good use by the purchaser but now I have sellers remorse.

Any suggestions for a currently available tank bag that would fit with my R100S?

There are many bags out there that will fit the bike, those with straps, those with magnets. For me, I wanted a small bag to use on my R90S, later my Motorsport. Those bikes are gone now, but I still have the bag, it is a Wolfman. I currently use on a Triumph, but it has also been used on a F700GS and R1200R. The quality is very good, and the price was not bad either.

Attachments

• Bag1.jpg
    Bag1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 243
  • Bag2.jpg
    Bag2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 243
+1 to Wolfman Luggage.

A small, American company based in Colorado, staffed by motorcyclists. Most of their products are made in-house. Call em up and a human will answer- last time I called anyway, no menu or anything... IIRC.

I actually have TWO Wolfman tankbags. I think they are great, tho some changes to their line-up have occurred so not sure what's available now for flat-topped tanks. IF you call, ask about 2nds or leftovers. They might have something for you.

not sure that Eclipse is still in business

But i have one of theirs on my '77 R100S.. fits the flat tank perfectly

I've used different tank bags over the years, mostly BMW. I picked up a used GIVI T429 magnetic tank bag and have to say I LOVE not having to monkey around with a bunch of straps that scuff paint. It's an old and very simple design but you can still find them. If I have security concerns at a motel or other stop I just grab it off the bike and take it with me. Simple design, not a lot of pockets and pouches to deal with, just one very useful and large storage compartment with two easy pull zippers on either side. Seems to keep swallowing nearly endless amounts of stuff. The magnets are plenty strong and it's easy to move it from one bike to the other. I use it on both my airheads.

Found a photo of it online:

t429.jpg

Caution, magnetic tank bags can scratch the paint underneath them.

I've NEVER, EVER had this happen. The fabric between the magnets and the tank is both thick and durable. N'ery a mark on the tank when I remove the bag -- even after thousands of miles of use.

My $.02

I have an old Eclipse and also a small magnetic bag...I forget who makes it. I try very hard to keep the top of the tank VERY clean when using the tank bags...and never, never let them touch the ground or dirty surfaces. Otherwise any bag is going to have a chance at messing up the tank. I like the Eclipse but the downside is that it can move around...could be grinding dirt into the tank. The magnetic bag though is STUCK. No movement at all.

-- Update -- The small magnetic bag is by Nelson Rigg...might be the CL-300 Mini tank bag. I got it for my R69S which has much less room behind the gas cap...the /7 has the flush mounted cap.

I have an old Eclipse and also a small magnetic bag...I forget who makes it. I try very hard to keep the top of the tank VERY clean when using the tank bags...and never, never let them touch the ground or dirty surfaces. Otherwise any bag is going to have a chance at messing up the tank. I like the Eclipse but the downside is that it can move around...could be grinding dirt into the tank. The magnetic bag though is STUCK. No movement at all.

+1 on what Kurt said. I was very skeptical about magnetic tank bags for close to 40 years. I got one used at the Quincy rally a couple years ago and quickly realized my fears were unfounded. You do have to keep the tank clean and the tank side of the mag bag clean also or risk scuffing the paint but as long as you are aware there has been zero issues with my tank paint. They don't move around as Kurt stated and the ease of removal and replacement on a long ride where you are in and out of restaurants and motels and campgrounds and ...? It makes things easier. Only needing one tank bag for multiple bikes with metal tanks is a nice bonus also.

I was using a brand name tank bag on my G/S that had lots of straps. Those straps caused scuffing damage in one short season. After two years with the mag bag absolutely no damage.

We need our own acronym for "urban myth". Something like "moto myth" maybe? There's a lot of moto myths :blah :nod

Multivario....only way to go that looks right.

I had one on every airhead I've owned. Never had a problem with one of them and of course they look amazing!

image.jpgIMG_2146.jpgIMG_0057.jpg

Back