• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tall Bike - Short Rider? R1200GSA

Eldor

I spent the weekend watching the 3-DVD set of "Long Way Round". What a great adventure! And those Adventure bikes are amazing! Got me thinking...

I'm inseam challenged... 30" and use the optional low seat on my K1300GT.

How important do you think it would be for someone to be able to flat-foot it with such a bike?

My feeling (never having done any off-road riding nor ridden an "adventure" bike before) is that it would be even more important than with a road bike. After all, chances are better that when you want/need to put a foot down, the ground beneath your feet will be uneven and maybe even further away than if the bike was on a flat road. And that probably makes it less safe.

Are there many (any) folks here with shorter legs riding tall bikes like this? How much of a problem is it? (I'm thinking it might be a show-stopper.)

Thanks for any comments...

It is by no means a deal breaker.

Take the Yamaha YZ450 I was on a few weeks ago. It has a seat height of 39 inches. Granted, the suspension has huge travel and it is very soft and compressible, but still, 39 inches. Feels like climbing a tree.

The problem you will have is more related to weight. The GS is heavy. You should start on a light bike.

Once you get started, you really, just like street, don't want a foot down. You will spend more time standing on the pegs than with feet down. When you stop, stop like a street bike with one foot down. Sometimes you put out a foot and pivot around the foot plant and that is still one foot down and leaning over.

Differentiate also between trail riding (GS is good) and full bore off road (jumping, flying over big deep ruts, etc.). The GS can't do this (or at least can't do it well). Watch some Motocross races on TV, you'll see what I mean.

I'd start with a basic dirt bike class (MSF or others) and get some training: riding on pegs, steering with the rear wheel, clutch feathering, engine braking, deep sand, ruts, jumps, etc. And start on a motocross frame. This type of training is invaluable. You won't have your feet on the ground much. You'll fall a lot, so proper protection is a must, even on a GS trail ride.

I think the worst thing you can do, and I see it a lot, is get a GS and then go offroad, not knowing any of the skills an offroad rider needs. It is not street riding at all.

Master the skills, then you won't have any problems. I ride with a lot of guys shorter than you who are far better riders than I am.

Thanks very much for your comments, Robo.

I'm glad to hear that short legs and tall bikes are not necessarily a deal breaker.

The GSA is heavy for sure, but it's lighter than my KGT! And at my age, (pretty darned old) I'm not about to start stump jumping or anything like that. At most I see myself doing dirt trail riding or logging type roads. Nothing like the Road of Bones!

But as a photographer, I would like to get off the (paved) road somewhat to access roads that my KGT just isn't any good on.

Good advise about taking a basic dirt bike class. I'll investigate to see if there's one somewhere in the Montreal Canada area.

Cheers!

I should stress I'm mostly "hard trail" riding, not jumping. But still, the classes at least at a basic level are very good. Alternatively, a good off road book would likely suffice. If I were trail riding, and not mixing street touring and multi day rides, I'd take a Suzuki DRZ or equivalent before the big GS. But then, if you are mixing street and dirt, and carrying equipment, the GS is the bike to have.

Last comment: it is good to not go alone. You can so easily get into trouble. At least if you do carry a SPOT (or the ilk) and let people know where you are going so that if you don't come home, you have help!

They do make a factory lowered R-1200-GS, not sure about the adventurer, that you should be able to flat foot. Try your local dealer or BMWNA for more info. Good luck.:thumb

I would think that it does, but if rider hight is a problem, then this might be a fair exchange. Seems there is a second thread going covering the same topic..

I'm trundling this over to the "Wedge" forum - since this is a Wedge bike..

Hang on..

Thanks for moving my thread to the Wedge forum, BUT...

I'm talking about an R1200GA Adventure bike here, which if I'm not mistaken is a 2 cylinder bike and NOT a Wedge bike.

Did you even read my post? I do mention that I currently ride a K1300GT but am asking for opinions about the R1200GSA in terms of short inseam (30") and whether or not people think that would be a safety issue.

Would you kindly move this back to the proper forum where it started?

They do make a factory lowered R-1200-GS, not sure about the adventurer, that you should be able to flat foot. Try your local dealer or BMWNA for more info. Good luck.:thumb

Thanks! I didn't see mention of lowering on the BMW Canada web site for the GSA. I'll check to see if they mention it for the GS and will talk to my dealer.

Thanks for moving my thread to the Wedge forum, BUT...

I'm talking about an R1200GA Adventure bike here, which if I'm not mistaken is a 2 cylinder bike and NOT a Wedge bike.
Sorryaboutdat..
Did you even read my post? I do mention that I currently ride a K1300GT but am asking for opinions about the R1200GSA in terms of short inseam (30") and whether or not people think that would be a safety issue.
Actually - yes, and I just re-read it, and still see no mention of a R1200GSA.. I do see mention of Long Way Round, but that assumes we're going to assume you're referring to a GS.. two assumptions. Which is why putting the bike model (and year if necessary) in the thread title is a very good thing. Some of us confuse easily.
Would you kindly move this back to the proper forum where it started?
Sure.. not a problem. And I'll change the thread title to reflect what your question is about so hopefully more of us old pharts aren't confused by it.. :wave

I'd recommend a careful evaluation of what it is you really plan to do. There are other options available to do adventure riding besides a 1200GS. If you are thinking dirt roads up to and including the haul road or Dempster Hwy then a F650GS or G650GS will do the job. In my opinion both are better for a person who is not real experienced in dirt riding and is not built like a 6 foot 5 inch tall superman. Both come in lowered versions, are much less expensive and are capable enough to carry you around the world. Ride them all and go with the one that feels right for you. Ewan and Charlie would have fallen less often and still made it around the world on a F650 or G650.

i'm really short. at less than 1/8 mile an hour, i feel really clumsy on my bike. i'm getting used to it. it's going to take a while. i finally figured out that part of my start/stop issues have to do with my harley wet clutch with 110 ft lb torque at 2250 rpm vs boxer setup. i'm not going to lower the bike. i refuse to mess with german engineering. i've done some really stupid things on boxer twins, and they have never fallen down.
i want an "adventure" bike. 650-800 cc. remember, 750 cc used to be the big boy.
chain drive has a lot going for it. carbs will be cool in a 3rd world country. i would like to spend a lot of time in mexico, but i don't want to get shot or whatever. maybe i'll try arizona.
a boxer gs with panniers and a box will never be "nimble". especially for a small person.i was 36 years old when i discovered i was small. i honestly had no clue. fwiw, jp

DSC00246.jpg

Long Way Down

Now you need to watch the sequel "Long Way Down" and you will be hooked. I got Hilda two years ago 'bout this time. Using my Netflix, watched both over the next year and was hit by the GSA bug. Started looking. Next thing you know, found Heidi and just had to have her. These girls are addictive. The BMW Motorrad website (http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html) gives some information on how to measure for proper seat height for both the GS and the GSA. Good place to start but go to the dealer, get on one and check things out with no stand down, the side stand down and the center stand down with the bags you intend to use. They do have impact. . Even at 6'3", i had to make some adjustments.

And if your adventure riding DVD thirst is not quenched, go for Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa next. Sort of Long Way Round by normal people on a budget.

Short legs

I'm 6'1" and run a GSA. The seat has 3 positions for height, although the range is only about 1 1/2". When I'm around town or in the dirt I use the lowest position but on the hiway for any distance, I'll put it in the upper position. When in the latter I can touch the road with My tip toes and in the lower position I can put one foot flat on the ground and the other on my toes.
Before getting one, I suggest you take it for a ride and explore the seat positions. It's a pretty tall bike but in motion, it's really cool.
I'm not sure but I think my inseam is 32".
God Luck

I'm 5'6, 30" inseam, and ride an '09 GSA. No problems. I have the extra low seat from the low-suspension "R" Model. I'm not completely flat footed, but almost. Never had a problem.

I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam and have no troubles with the height even though only my toes touch when both feet are on the ground.

I've actually learned to really enjoy sitting up high and being able to look over cars while riding.

I was on a trip with my dad 2 weeks ago and we switched bikes (R1100RT). I did not like going back to a bike with a lower seat and decided to switch back to my back after an hour of riding.

Back