• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suggestions for a week trip in Nor Cal.

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I'm thinking of taking time off of work in late June for a trip. Starting point is in Nor Cal. Any suggestions on where to wonder to? Some ridding buddies are heading up to the Chief Joseph Rally in Oregon, but I'm not sure I want to go to another rally a month after going to the 49er Rally. Granted they are different and the trip to the Chief Joseph Rally is a much longer ride and would be a first time for me. While some people like to travel by themselves, I'm not sure I really want to do that for a week.

A few thoughts…
  • First, I’m jealous. I wish I could join you since we’re in the same area.
  • I know it’s much later than June but some friends of mine and I usually ride up to Reno the few weekdays ahead of Labor Day weekend to attend the Rib Fest. That’s always a fun time, except for the heat.
  • As for destinations, Have you ever ridden the original Route 66? It’s my understanding there are some interesting sights once you get out of California.
  • The last time I rode cross country there were a lot of obscure attractions I wanted to check out but didn’t have the time to do so. I think one was a crater somewhere off I-10 in Arizona or New Mexico but it was over 10 years ago so I don’t remember exactly where.
  • Make sure to let us know where you end up going and maybe in the future I can tag along.

Your definition of good riding and mine may differ, but I have always enjoyed the remoteness of the Trinity Alps.

Pic below is the back way into the Redwoods SP & NP…

i-bz3ScvQ-X3.jpg

Ferndale, the coast road and the Lost Coast are another favorite…

i-PnrpBkn-X3.jpg

i-8hVgKJg-X2.jpg

i-4PTC5LP-X2.jpg

I'm thinking of taking time off of work in late June for a trip. Starting point is in Nor Cal. Any suggestions on where to wonder to? Some ridding buddies are heading up to the Chief Joseph Rally in Oregon, but I'm not sure I want to go to another rally a month after going to the 49er Rally. Granted they are different and the trip to the Chief Joseph Rally is a much longer ride and would be a first time for me. While some people like to travel by themselves, I'm not sure I really want to do that for a week.

But before I make any recommendations, how do you want to do it? A week in one spot as a base with rides out of it? A week of moving every day or every other day?

What do you want for mileage? A couple hundred miles a day to leave room for poking around?

But before I make any recommendations, how do you want to do it? A week in one spot as a base with rides out of it? A week of moving every day or every other day?

What do you want for mileage? A couple hundred miles a day to leave room for poking around?

I'm kind of open to either at the moment. It kind of depends on what strikes my boat--or what roads look good. That being said, this is a rare opportunity to travel farther than I can normally go, so I'm leaning towards the later, or a new place every day or two days.

I'm kind of open to either at the moment. It kind of depends on what strikes my boat--or what roads look good. That being said, this is a rare opportunity to travel farther than I can normally go, so I'm leaning towards the later, or a new place every day or two days.

A day to Pismo, a day at the Peterson Museum in LA. An easyish day down to SD county. A couple days riding San Jacinto/Idylwild/Palms to Pines. Back up through the LA basin, but explore the mountains kind of west of the valley, then maybe back up your favorite coastal roads to the Bay?

It's pretty SoCal oriented.

We did a car tour one time that was here, up to Eureka, explored for a couple days (36/299. w00t!), then we were over to Shasta, explored all up there, then down towards Quincy, then Auburn, then a rip home on 80. We did it in our Miata, but it was still a terrific time, to say the least.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for all the suggestions. One advice I got, which I probably do is to wait until it get closer to see what the weather's like. If it's really hot, then a trip along the coast would be better.

From Walnut Creek meander however suits your fancy to Muir Beach, then ride CA 1 North as far as Stewarts Point, turn Right - East on the Stewarts Point - Skaggs Springs Rd and take it all the way over to the 101, turn North on the 101 and head up to Cloverdale, jump onto CA128 and head as far as Boonville, turn left and head back out to the coast on Mountainview Rd, Turn North on CA 1 again and ride North until you hit CA 128 at the Navarro River - head back to Boonville, then East to 101 at Ukiah on CA 253, North on 101 to Orr Springs RD, West on Orr Springs RD to Comptche and then West on the Comptche-Ukiah Rd to Mendocino. At Mendocino turn North on CA1 and head to Fort Bragg, at Fort Bragg head East on CA 20 to Willits. At Willits head North on 101 to Laytonville. Turn West onto Branscomb Rd and head to the coast at Dehaven. Turn North on CA 1 again and head back to the 101 at Leggett.

There are a couple of days of good riding in the above, plenty of places to stay, and good eats along the way.

Eureka and Crescent City isn't a bad ride. There are roads up that way that are pretty good. Also, there was a motel in Crescent City made from one redwood tree, the curly redwood lodge? It's been a while. Old school pull in front of your door type of place. Lots of fishing boats there, reminded me of a New England town.

Unfortunately it looks like the website motorcycleroads.com is no longer operating.
But there was a road up there that was on my bucket list that went from the coast to inland. I believe the road starts with a sign that says, "warning, curvy road next 111 miles."

Hoping someone here knows what I'm talking about so that I can perhaps give you a good option, as well as write it down so that I can find it. I know it's pretty far north. I used to live in Santa Cruz and generally stayed between San Francisco and LA so I don't know that much about those roads north of SF.

Unfortunately it looks like the website motorcycleroads.com is no longer operating.
But there was a road up there that was on my bucket list that went from the coast to inland. I believe the road starts with a sign that says, "warning, curvy road next 111 miles."

Hoping someone here knows what I'm talking about so that I can perhaps give you a good option, as well as write it down so that I can find it. I know it's pretty far north. I used to live in Santa Cruz and generally stayed between San Francisco and LA so I don't know that much about those roads north of SF.

I am betting that's CA36, from Susanville west to to Fortuna/Ferndale. Fantastic ride.

If you do that, ride the coast road south from Ferndale to Petrolia. I highly recommend the Gingerbread Mansion B&B...

20160831_083921-X3.jpg

20160831_093612-X3.jpg

I am betting that's CA36, from Susanville west to to Fortuna/Ferndale. Fantastic ride.

If you do that, ride the coast road south from Ferndale to Petrolia. I highly recommend the Gingerbread Mansion B&B...

By the look of google maps on that road, it could very well be. Either way, it looks like a treat.
I believe the review of that route on motorcycleroads said there was maybe only one gas station and that there were rarely cars on it so I'm not totally sure though.

That'd be CA36.

If you're heading north, I can't recommend the Butler NorCal Map highly enough. I've lived here for nearly 25 years and it still shows me roads I've never ridden.

A classic loop is the 36>3>299 loop out of Eureka. It's a full day with everything from goat trails to perfect and endless sweepers all day long.

https://butlermaps.com/motorcycle-road-maps/northern-california-map/

They make these for a bunch of states and the roads they point you toward are absolutely outstanding. These aren't like Mad Maps, which seem to be directed to the "roadhouse tour" gang, but to folks like us that want to see cool stuff and ride cool roads.

Eureka and Crescent City isn't a bad ride. There are roads up that way that are pretty good. Also, there was a motel in Crescent City made from one redwood tree, the curly redwood lodge? It's been a while. Old school pull in front of your door type of place. Lots of fishing boats there, reminded me of a New England town.

The Best Western on the south end of Eureka is pretty decent and you can walk to restaurants, including a terrific breakfast joint right in their parking lot. Beers are a short walk away, including a brewery.

That'd be CA36.

If you're heading north, I can't recommend the Butler NorCal Map highly enough. I've lived here for nearly 25 years and it still shows me roads I've never ridden.

A classic loop is the 36>3>299 loop out of Eureka. It's a full day with everything from goat trails to perfect and endless sweepers all day long.

https://butlermaps.com/motorcycle-road-maps/northern-california-map/

They make these for a bunch of states and the roads they point you toward are absolutely outstanding. These aren't like Mad Maps, which seem to be directed to the "roadhouse tour" gang, but to folks like us that want to see cool stuff and ride cool roads.

Thanks Dave. That one is on its way to me.

Last edited:
With the national rally being in Redmond next year, a trial run up to Oregon sounds good. So, I’m going with some buddies up to the Chief Joseph Rally. Thanks for all the suggestions, and Butler Map for Oregon is on its way.

Back