• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stainless Steel Fasteners

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
The stainless steel fasteners that I have in stock are usually labelled A2-70 or A4-80 on the head of the fastener.

When I see 8.8, 10.9 or 12.9 on other bolts, they are the typical bolts that are zinc plated or black. They are not stainless steel.

Now the socket head cap screw in the muffler clamp for my GS shows a 8.8. I was able to buff it up (no rust on them) after many years and it appears to be stainless steel. Yet when held to a very strong magnet (an Apple laptop I scrapped and kept the case magnets) the socket head cap screw is highly attracted to it. :scratch and :confused: I know some stainless steels are slightly attracted to a magnet but not as strong as I witnessed.

Muffler Clamp.jpg

The stainless steel fasteners that I have in stock are usually labelled A2-70 or A4-80 on the head of the fastener.

When I see 8.8, 10.9 or 12.9 on other bolts, they are the typical bolts that are zinc plated or black. They are not stainless steel.

Now the socket head cap screw in the muffler clamp for my GS shows a 8.8. I was able to buff it up (no rust on them) after many years and it appears to be stainless steel. Yet when held to a very strong magnet (an Apple laptop I scrapped and kept the case magnets) the socket head cap screw is highly attracted to it. :scratch and :confused: I know some stainless steels are slightly attracted to a magnet but not as strong as I witnessed.

View attachment 92951

Most every stainless steel has carbon tool steel in the formula. In fact, tool steels can be considered stainless when chromium content reaches 13%. So s/s has enough iron in it's content to be attracted to a magnet

Most every stainless steel has carbon tool steel in the formula. In fact, tool steels can be considered stainless when chromium content reaches 13%. So s/s has enough iron in it's content to be attracted to a magnet.

That explains how shiny the minor diameter of the fasteners is, because I could not get any metal polish into that zone. Of course there was also no rust. OK, I am just very surprised at the strong pull towards the magnet.

I'm surprised somebody polishes their muffler clamps! ;)

Its called mental therapy aka my form of relaxation.

That clamp and the other two are 33 years old. I treat all my things that way and it comes from growing up with very little and appreciating things. I guess I could never be an entitled millennial. :laugh

Last edited:
That explains how shiny the minor diameter of the fasteners is, because I could not get any metal polish into that zone. Of course there was also no rust. OK, I am just very surprised at the strong pull towards the magnet.

It could be one of the Ferritic stainless steels. This type of stainless steel is magnetic primarily because it contains large quantities of ferrite in its chemical composition, which is a compound of iron and other elements. The crystal structure of ferrite and iron is what makes these types of stainless steel magnetic.

Stainless steel, also known as inox or corrosion-resistant steel (CRES), is an alloy of iron that is resistant to rusting and corrosion. It contains at least 10.5% chromium and usually nickel, and may also contain other elements, such as carbon, to obtain the desired properties.

In making knives, chromium content is 13% or above for it to be classified as s/s

Here is a rabbit hole to read up on the 5 types of SS..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_stainless_steel :D

Thanks brownie0486 and for the above as well. Some of those terms rings a bell now.

Reading up on the "Weldable grades were developed" in that link took me back some 10 years ago when I used 304L plates and 304L rods (that I drilled and tapped to M16-2.0) and welded to the 304L plates for the 2 post lift in my garage. Damn thing still has a car on it some 9 years later non-stop. Too many vehicles, so little time.

If needed, you're more than welcome to spend some hours/days in my garage - I won't even charge your insurance! :brad:brad:brad

But in my books, you have new motorcycles. What could possible be wrong with them.

We get free medical paid for by our high beer prices. :laugh and :rolleyes

But I have done that before. Sent mom to Oz for the winter, and took her 10 year old car and made it new again, like showroom new.

Back