• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speedo blues

eastbay

I tried to dig in and see if I could figure out why my speedometer isn’t working. First issue is I cannot disconnect the cable from the speedometer the metal is spinning in the plastic housing. If I spin the end that goes into the transmission I can hear something moving in the speedometer but the needle doesn’t move should I bother trying to take this apart it appears I have to pry the bezel off to remove the plastic part from the metal housing . there seem to be an expensive Speedo‘s from India for about $30 but the cable comes straight out the back instead of an angle like the stock unit and the metal housing mounts differently. Advice? Has anyone tried to adopt one of those.
BA3538C4-D0CC-4F58-8A2F-7E6BAD133806.jpeg
0EB10145-B9D6-4C65-AAB5-09EF474D2014.jpeg
B6BFC9C7-2A8D-4146-8BF1-11562280B74E.jpeg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Dual...d-f2e3-4529-a8aa-f45b1b0d293b&redirect=mobile

I took what was the retaining screw out and the gear is worn flat in spots.. Is this available? It,s mating gear inside looks ok. 050756FC-5217-4D15-86C0-EF992FC93012.jpeg

I don't think they sell individual parts for speedometers. There is a speedometer section in the link in my signature line. You could try contacting them to see what they offer. Terry Vrla is an independent one-man operation. Bigger outfits include North Hollywood, Palo Alto, and Overseas. Joe's Speedometer in Reseda is a name that I've seen lately. I notice there's a link to Odometer Gears...not sure what they can offer.

I don't think they sell individual parts for speedometers. There is a speedometer section in the link in my signature line. You could try contacting them to see what they offer. Terry Vrla is an independent one-man operation. Bigger outfits include North Hollywood, Palo Alto, and Overseas. Joe's Speedometer in Reseda is a name that I've seen lately. I notice there's a link to Odometer Gears...not sure what they can offer.

Thanks I already tried Palo Alto they said they only have a few of them left and the manufacturer has discontinued them so they need to keep them

The IBMRW ad speedo has a ratio that is not the same as the OP's unit, so speed readings would be compromised. Maybe the parts inside could be useful but that seems pretty expensive.

The IBMRW ad speedo has a ratio that is not the same as the OP's unit, so speed readings would be compromised. Maybe the parts inside could be useful but that seems pretty expensive.

The R65 had a 3.44 vs the 3.36 of the ST. Not a significant difference considering the accuracy of the airhead speedos. I still think it would be worth consideration.

The R65 had a 3.44 vs the 3.36 of the ST. Not a significant difference considering the accuracy of the airhead speedos. I still think it would be worth consideration.

thanks, I may go this route as I'm having difficulty sourcing the worm gear. There are cheap copies available from India on ebay, but the cable comes straight out the back instead of at an angle and the mounting surround is different.

and it's too big , review :[it was advertised that it would fit my R80 BMW. It's about an inch too big in diameter to fit in the space.]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254503212611

I had an R80ST speedometer redone at Foreign Speedometer in San Diego.
http://www.foreignspeedoinc.com/

They can walk you through the process to get a turns count on your speedo over a measured distance, which I can’t remember, and with that info can calibrate the speedo to match. Make sure the bike is shod with the size rear tire you plan to run, as the difference between 120/90-18 and 4.00-18 can have an impact.

Best,
DeVern

Back