• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

source for funnel for filling final drive 2017 RT

cheap tool for final drive oil change.

I use a turkey baster syringe. Tony Chachtre's baster works fine, just don't use for turkey basting after changing your oil.

Go to your local farm supply store and buy a 60 ML syringe, fill it three times and you get the exact amount of gear oil into your final drive.

I use a bottle with a angled tip. The angled tip makes it easier to get all the oil out compared to a straight tip.
It's a bottle that beauticians use for hair coloring. It costs $1 or $2
Before that I used a syringe.
I bought a couple in 2016 from the lady who cuts my hair.
Looks like they cost more on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PZ6XPMY/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_plhdr=t&aaxitk=467f48e7333100ab8b7f718b6ee5adf3&hsa_cr_id=0&qid=1698698116&sr=1-3-9e67e56a-6f64-441f-a281-df67fc737124&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_2_img&pd_rd_w=M0zz5&content-id=amzn1.sym.cd95889f-432f-43a7-8ec8-833616493f4a:amzn1.sym.cd95889f-432f-43a7-8ec8-833616493f4a&pf_rd_p=cd95889f-432f-43a7-8ec8-833616493f4a&pf_rd_r=B01VEECEJJ74SDZ8ZXR4&pd_rd_wg=MHpo8&pd_rd_r=fe97785e-ee13-4ffa-b859-a41706d56110&th=1

Looks like I type really slow :)

View attachment 93450

What's the part number for that Final Drive Oil Drain Oil Deflector Tool? :)

And that angled spout bottle works much better than the turkey baster I was using. Thanksgiving turkey tastes better, too. Thanks for that suggestion!

Last edited:
What's the part number for that Final Drive Oil Drain Oil Deflector Tool? :)
Not available in Canada :)

Now I usually chain the final drive oil wheel the wheel is off for a tire change.
If the wheel is in place I rest the oil pan on the rim.

I'm with Geekmaster; I use a 200 cc syringe. No spill and makes it easy to insert a precise amount. They're a one use only thing as the rubber on the plunger seal isn't compatible with the final drive oil. No problem as they're inexpensive.

IMG_4544.jpeg

@stooie

Please note that on your worksheet that you have on the clipboard...the correct tool for the FD Drain Plug is T-45.
I see that you have marked through the TP for Torx Plus, but the correct size of Torx is T-45 so you don't round out the inside of the drain plug.

I'm with Geekmaster; I use a 200 cc syringe. No spill and makes it easy to insert a precise amount. They're a one use only thing as the rubber on the plunger seal isn't compatible with the final drive oil. No problem as they're inexpensive.
Wow, I didn't know about the issue with the rubber, as this was the first time I used the syringe. You're right, they're cheap, but I may try to clean the rubber to see if that prevents disintegration. Thanks for the tip.

@stooie

Please note that on your worksheet that you have on the clipboard...the correct tool for the FD Drain Plug is T-45.
I see that you have marked through the TP for Torx Plus, but the correct size of Torx is T-45 so you don't round out the inside of the drain plug.
Boxflyer: You are the ABSOLUTE BEST! Thanks for looking out for me.

I don't now how that TP spec came into my mind. At one point I purchased a set only to discover that they didn't work at all for this application. The photo is an old one; it turns out I'd already discovered the error and updated the spreadsheet.

As Sundance told Butch, "You just keep thinkin' Butch. That's what you're good at." Thanks again.

Wow, I didn't know about the issue with the rubber, as this was the first time I used the syringe. You're right, they're cheap, but I may try to clean the rubber to see if that prevents disintegration. Thanks for the tip.
Good luck! My experience was that the rubber shrank within minutes. I originally tried using some 100 cc syringes I had on hand. No luck; after the first 100 cc dose, the plunger wouldn't suck up the extra 80 cc for the second dose. If you're lucky maybe the bigger syringes use a different rubber compound that's compatible with the oil.

Yeah, if the rubber fails on the syringe, that's what I'll do.
I would probably have a new one on hand so you can finish the job when the used syringe has found to have given up either from the petroleum products or age of syringe- since last use.
OM

Back