• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

source for funnel for filling final drive 2017 RT

Dp1guzzi

MOA 27106
I just changed the final drive oil in my 2017 RT and it was a pain because I did not have an appropriate funnel. I used one from the kitchen, and guess who didn’t appreciate me doing that. Anyway, the filler hole is small and the funnel had to be held pretty horizontal, so it was slow going to prevent spillage.

I could partially melt one of my plastic funnels and reshape it, but I’d rather just buy one. Does anyone know where I can find an appropriate funnel? Thanks

I just changed the final drive oil in my 2017 RT and it was a pain because I did not have an appropriate funnel. I used one from the kitchen, and guess who didn’t appreciate me doing that. Anyway, the filler hole is small and the funnel had to be held pretty horizontal, so it was slow going to prevent spillage.

I could partially melt one of my plastic funnels and reshape it, but I’d rather just buy one. Does anyone know where I can find an appropriate funnel? Thanks

I would find a small funnel and a short length of flexible tubing.

Yes, I could do that. I could also fashion a funnel out of aluminum foil. But I’d like a one piece funnel with an angled spout. Doesn’t anybody make such a thing? I just changed the final drive oil, so I have at least 6k miles to find one.

I use a bottle with a angled tip. The angled tip makes it easier to get all the oil out compared to a straight tip.
It's a bottle that beauticians use for hair coloring. It costs $1 or $2
Before that I used a syringe.
I bought a couple in 2016 from the lady who cuts my hair.
Looks like they cost more on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07P...d_r=fe97785e-ee13-4ffa-b859-a41706d56110&th=1

Looks like I type really slow :)

View attachment 93450
Works perfectly, possibly more than 180mm in bottle as shown

Look up 100ml or 200ml SYRINGES on Amazon. Lots to choose from. Some with tubes, some without. Just suck it up, then push it out into the FD with little or no spillage. They all have better graduation marks on them than hair dye bottles and easier to clean.

Boxer2valve has 60 and 100 ml syringes and angled funnels and measure cup/vessels with flex spouts etc. Look under "Maintenance Accessories" on their web site.

The hair color bottles are cheap at any Sally Beauty Supply store. They have graduation markings on the bottles so I just used a felt marker to highlight the 180cc mark. Used them for years. Sally stores are everywhere, should be easy to find.

I keep an empty Mobil 1 gear oil bottle for filling the final drive. Just measure in the appropriate amount of oil and it works great.

2513340.jpg

I use a industrial syringe from amazon and some flexible tubing. If you look at the syringes they come in different sizes. I have a 100 cc syringe. They are made for this type of application and allows for a precise amount of oil in the final drive per the manual. And they're relatively cheap, ie not much more than a funnel.

I've got a Motion Pro thing that works like a big syringe. I usually measure it out in a RatioRite, then pour it into the "syringe".

The hair color bottles are cheap at any Sally Beauty Supply store. They have graduation markings on the bottles so I just used a felt marker to highlight the 180cc mark. Used them for years. Sally stores are everywhere, should be easy to find.

Also in the Beauty Aisle at your neighborhood Wal-Mart - about $2

Back