• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Skid Plate for a 2006 / 2013 R1200GS?

bboucher2003bmw

Hi all!

I was wondering which skid plate or bashplate you would recommend for a air / oil cooled R1200GS for road and not so intense off-road use?

Thank you

Bruno

The OEM is adequate for most occasional off roading. Some of the aftermarket such as Touratech cover the crossover pipe on the headers and are a bit larger overall. There are a few that are very heavy duty in construction being steel opposed to aluminum.

Depends on whether it's a gravel forest road or you plan on crawling over downed trees.
A big hit sometimes will shear the OEM rubber mounts that screw into the engine case...that's prob a good thing!
You can find a used one from one of the salvage guys , sometimes they have an aftermarket one listed as well.

The OEM is adequate for most occasional off roading. Some of the aftermarket such as Touratech cover the crossover pipe on the headers and are a bit larger overall. There are a few that are very heavy duty in construction being steel opposed to aluminum.

Depends on whether it's a gravel forest road or you plan on crawling over downed trees.
A big hit sometimes will shear the OEM rubber mounts that screw into the engine case...that's prob a good thing!
You can find a used one from one of the salvage guys , sometimes they have an aftermarket one listed as well.

Thank you so much! I'll go for the OEM one as I do not think I'll need the heavy duty stuff. Try to find one on the flea market section or on ebay. Thanks

Hey, I have one I just took off my 07RT, I bought from a guy who took off his GS, you can have for $30 all hardware and shipping included (lower 48)

^^^^^^Can you send him a message through the private message system?^^^^^^^
Just click on his username and follow the prompts. We don't have provisions for "in forum" buying and selling. This is to prevent the forum from looking like Craig's List on Crack :hungover
Thanks, Gary

to answer the OP

AltRider makes a very nice skidplate. I just recently ordered one, that i am very happy with. Will be doing a write up it as soon as it warms up a bit.

Back