• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

She LIVES!

stepvan7

A friend sold me an 87 K75s with 25000 miles on the clock that he had not been able to start for the last 1 1/2 years for $1200. Nice stock metallic red color, looks like it spent time at high speed on gravel roads by the look of the lower faring.

Got it home and in the garage, and a week later a friend and I began to trace the problem. Symptom was the fuel pump was not coming on, and therefore the bike wouldn't start or run. The previous owner had made a direct bypass to power the pump using the center wire from the fuel injector relay, but still couldn't get it to start. That of course would never work as that causes the computer to be unable to determine the state of the system to be able to start and run the engine. We figuredo the problem was electronic, and once we corrected the disconnected relay, we began tracing from the battery through the electrical system, checking the operation at each junction by using the wiring schematic. The injectors had power, the engine had spark, and the computer had power. All fuses were good.. we worked our way finally to the tank, and found a corroded power pin in the connection between the wiring loom and the tank. We replaced the connector, and tried to start the engine, and heard the fuel pump engage-causing us to shout after two hoursof work. We kept trying to start it for another minute, when I remembered that I had pulled the muffler, rear wheel and final drive in preparation for switching to a k100 drive with a taller gear ratio. I knew that without the pressure of the muffler, the mixture probably would be to lean for the bike to start, so while my friend kept cranking it over thinking that after a while it was bound to start, I turned on the choke, and the engine started. Of course we gave another cheer, and then I saw that it was blowing oil smoke. It had spent some time on its side stand, and we all know what that means. No problem there. I mounted the drive, buttoned it up, and started it up. After leaning this bike to the right for about20 seconds the smoke dissipated, and I rolled it out of the driveway. Drove it gently up the road, filled the tank with ethenol free gas, put air in the tires, and...chickened out because of the indeterminate age of the tires, drove home. Very smooth, no misses, no smoke, no leaks. Flushed the radiator, put new tires on it, double checked the oil--good level, pretty clear so will change oil and filter later but soon, and took it on its first real test ride--then as I pulled into the street, it bounced so much that I stopped after 50 feet, turned around and headed back towards the garage. My father in law stopped me before I got to the driveway. Big one inch gravel stones had stuck in the tread of the new tires. Pulled that out and the bike rode and drove as it should. First real test cruise, I gently let the engine warm up to operating temperature at 30mph, then took the bike up to 45 mph for about 15 minutes, and returned home to check it out. No leaks, no smoke, very smooth. Nice.

The next day, there was a drip on the floor at the front of the engine under the water pump. First felt slippery like oil, then stickylike rubbing your fingers on a balloon. Smelled like rubber, not antifreeze or oil. Bottom of the engine is dry, no drips from the coolant drain plug, no oil leaks. What it is, and where it's coming from is a mystery to me. Any suggestions?

Doug

Good sleuthin' ! :thumb

No doubt that bike's been sitting around for a few years, and will have some dry seals. You'll probably want to keep your rides short for a while, until you've got them all sorted out. :)

Doug,

There is a weep hole on the bottom of the water pump. It will let oil from the oil pump seal or coolant from the water pump seal out. A bike that has been sitting for a long time will have dry seals that might seep for a bit until things get happy again.

Also check the oil pressure sender on the left side of the oil pump. Pull the boot back to see if the sender is seeping.

Your going to enjoy that '87 S. I think it is the best year (it MUST be because that's what I ride).

What are the last 3 numbers of your VIN? I'll tell you what day it was born on.

:dance:dance:dance

thanks for your help!

So at this point, instead of pulling the water/oil pump, I should calm down, ride it gently when I get a chance, and keep my eye on all the fluid levels, and watch the floor under the bike. I think that during each ride I will stop about half way and check her over as well.

I have another k75 that I bought a year ago and put an engine from eBay in. The engine was guaranteed, so I felt pretty safe. That one runs like a champ. I didn't know bmw's when I bought Frank, short for frankenbeemer, and I learned all about k75's from that building experience. It was my first build ever, and when I finished the install, I turned the key and pressed the starter button, and it fired right up. (It is made up of 5 separate bikes, maybe 6, but that is another story ) The rush I got from that success has hooked me for life on these things, and I love this one because it is stock except the final drive from a k100 I put in because I liked taller gear ratio, and the good gas mileage I get from that. (55 mpg at the last fill up) ... I am rambling on..I'll call it quits for today. Thanks again gents for your kind responses.

Oh, and the last three numbers are390

drips all gone

All the drips have stopped-- at least for the last three days. None after riding it either. Good. I didn't want to pull the pump. Thank you guys for your help..

I've I've been on a few all day rides with her now, and she's doing better than I can. The paint is beautiful in the sun, though still scratched up and rock struck. I sold my royal enfield to finish paying her off, but will have to wait on the paint job till I sell my other project bmw, frankenbeemer. I put a new-er engine and transmission with 25000 miles on the clock, a whole new fuel system from fuel pump to injectors. The engine runs well, plenty of power. The shock on the bike is 3inches shorter than stock, which makes getting her on the center stand a challenge. Has wheels from a k1100 (I think, unless there is no such model), the faring is from an 70's r bike. I've been told that the faring is worth more than the bike. Anyway, a good project for someone, or they can ride her as she is. Shiny black paint with white pinstriping . The build was fun but now I'd rather ride than build. Hope I can sell her soon. Somebody is going to get a steal.

Back