• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shameless Trolling - For Touring Tips

Reminder

The Touring Tips being sent are wonderful :dance

The readers in Owners News will greatly benefit by these cleaver tips.

Please don't forget

In order to complete submission of your Touring Tip:

Please send
First Name - Family Name & MOA Number
City and State

Thank You
Paul

Last edited:
Up Dated Blue Ribbon Awards

goodjob.jpg

rmarkr

goodjob.jpg

pffog

goodjob.jpg

JanMiller

Thank you!

Obviously there would be no Touring Tips page without members who take their time to share their experiences with the rest of us.

Quote:
And For Today:

My watch loses six minutes every hour. I set my watch at 7 A.M. using an accurate clock. Now, the time on my watch reads 1:45 P.M.
What is the correct time?

Correct time is 2:30 P.M.

Another tip: Wet a rag towel and lay it across your windscreen for 10 minutes or so before heading out in the morning. This will loosen up bug debris while you load your bike. Prior to departure, simply wipe off the windscreen and enjoy a clear view to start your day.

Bob Smith, 116468
Marlton, NJ

Last edited:
About $1-$2 ( http://www.firstaidmonster.com/product_info.php?products_id=6905 )
They are about the size of a cell phone when folded, but very light, they open up to about 4x7 feet.

As well as first aid for shock, which is going to be present in any trauma injury, the could be used as:
An emergency waterproof or sun proof shelter.
Replace a tent fly left home, torn, blown away in the wind.
Replace a torn or forgotten ground cloth.
They are shinny silver so could be a signal device if lost in the wilderness.
Could be used to make a solar still for collecting water in the desert.
A cloth to collect fluids, and errant parts during a road side repair.
A waterproof cover for the tent or sleeping bag strapped to the rear of the bike.
A waterproof poncho if you cut a couple of holes in it.
And of course, as an emergency blanket, or a supplemental layer on a cold night.

I am sure there are hundreds more.

They are pretty tough and can be refolded, although the reflective coating suffers with a lot of use.

I carry one in my bag of first aid supplies and in the coat of my ski jacket, should I ever be on a lift that quit and be stranded for a period of time, I would have my own little wind and waterproof shelter.

I put one on the tent floor under my Thermarest. Used to have a great one, thin red vinyl on one side, reflective silver on the reverse, lasted for 2 decades before falling apart. Couldn't find a replacement, so using these mylar guys... pack to nothing, that is the beauty!

Got another one or two for you.

Get a large zip lock bag and a neck strap with wide metal clip/grabbers.
When it rains, and you have to cover your tank bag with its opaque cover, take your map, put it in the ziplock (with the part you want to see on the clear side) oriented so the 'zip' is at the 'bottom' of the map, put the strap around your neck, and put the clips over the ridge of the zip part... Presto, instant "NEKMAP", you can access in the rain. Wants to blow around, I tuck it between my belly and the tank bag...

Use the same kind of clip strap and attach it to your small camera wrist strap, if you drop it while one-handing pictures it will save it.

Keep a small metal thermos in your tankbag, water during the daytime, last stop for gas, fill it with coffee, nice in the morning.

Buy coffee in small individual filter-packets, you can put them in your cup, and save washing your Jet Boil or coffee pot.

Get small single-serving packets of Chrystal-Lite or the like, and keep them in the tank bag with that thermos of cold water.

Keep several small 6" bungees in the tank bag.. Invaluable.

Bring your extra spare eyeglasses if you wear glasses...

Pack what you need first.... on top... in the bag you can open without unstrapping your tent.

Ha, I cannot WAIT for the snow to melt and to get back on the road...

Jan Miller # 112765
Superior Wisconsin

From Michael Friedle

Mike Friedle - extraordinary arranger of events large and small - past and present gave me this tip recently:

He brings with him one of those sample carpets that carpet stores have bins of. He places it outside the entry to his tent and lets it collect all the debris and detritus, flotsam and jetsam of a day's journey.

If has been a rainy day the mud goes on the carpet sample. The sample can be discarded when sodden or no longer meeting the high standards of a BMW adventure.

Thanks Michael

Ash Wednesday Trivia Question

What does the mayor of Munich, Germany, traditionally dip into the city’s Fish Fountain (Fischbrunnen) every Ash Wednesday?

Here's a clue - It's not a fish!
But at sea it could catch a fish.

Take a guess folks. Leaving a tip is not a requirement.

Quote:
And For Today:

My watch loses six minutes every hour. I set my watch at 7 A.M. using an accurate clock. Now, the time on my watch reads 1:45 P.M.
What is the correct time?

Correct time is 2:30 P.M.

Another tip: Wet a rag towel and lay it across your windscreen for 10 minutes or so before heading out in the morning. This will loosen up bug debris while you load your bike. Prior to departure, simply wipe off the windscreen and enjoy a clear view to start your day.

Bob Smith, 116468
Marlton, NJ

tipofhat3.gif

A tip of the hat to the Chromehead and BIG Gig participant. Bob is absolutely correct - 2:30 or 1430 in Navy usage.

If staying at a hotel or motel the front desk will usually be happy to provide and old towel for this purpose.

Thanks for a simple, easy tip and thanks for remembering to include
Name & MOA Number
City & State

What does the mayor of Munich, Germany, traditionally dip into the city’s Fish Fountain (Fischbrunnen) every Ash Wednesday?

Here's a clue - It's not a fish!
But at sea it could catch a fish.

Take a guess folks. Leaving a tip is not a requirement.

No takers? :wave

Second clue - every lady has one!

Last edited:
The answer: a purse. The reference to fishing. Purse net.

OK for today - 2/25/09

What did legendary aviatrix Amelia Earhart carry with her to keep awake on lengthy flights?
hmmmmm.gif

tipofhat3.gif

Tip of Hat to fellow VetBMW Rider MTsweger

Now for today's question ...

muppets.jpg

Careful now - the movie is the made for TV movie the Muppets Wizard of Oz. Answer any three of the following. Who/What played:

• Toto
  • Dorothy
  • Tin Thing
  • Cowardly Lion
  • the Scarecrow
  • Wicked Witch of the West
in the 2005 made-for-TV movie The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz?

Even Tony from Navy NCIS would have trouble with this one.

Toto? Not a dog!

Last edited:
Cannot believe there was not even a guess! :scratch

Here are the answers:

Toto - A prawnÔÇöplayed by the Muppet Pepe the King Prawn.
Dorothy - pop star Ashanti as Dorothy
Tin Thing - the Great Gonzo as the Tin Thing
Cowardly Lion - Fozzie Bear as the Cowardly Lion
the Scarecrow - Kermit the Frog
Wicked Witch of the West - Miss Piggy as the Wicked Witch of the West

The prawn was difficult. But Miss Piggy was type cast.

Wait a sec and a new trivia question will appear. ;)

mind-the-gap.jpg

For at least one of the BIG Giggers in Gotham this next trivia question should be a piece of cake.

What U.S. city was the first to have a subway?

I have ridden it many times and it feels and acts like the first one.

In a couple more days will be sending in my May column to Vince and Mandy. Any May tip that must be part of the submission? Send me an email or a PM and don't forget:

To include
First Name - Family Name & MOA Number
City and State

Thank You
Paul

This city, known for digging, had a subway before Chicago.

No charge for a second opinion especially for a fellow rider from the Green Mountain State.

Thanks for dropping by.

Back