• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Service manual questions 2009 R1200RT

callbr549

I’m a new BMW owner — 2009 R1200RT. I have lots of questions. Please forgive me if this is not the right forum for this, there are a lot of forums and I’m still figuring out what topics go where.

My first question is about maintenance procedures and documentation. I see that there are a lot of procedures with an impressive amount of detail on this site. I’m sure I’ll refer to that often. But I also like old fashioned books on paper as references. Is the manual that Haynes publishes worth having? Also, what about the BMW factory service documentation? It seems to only be on DVD. Have owners here found that to be helpful? I’m on a Mac, not PC, so I’m also concerned about compatibility.

Thanks
Rob

One plus for the service dvd is that you can print out pages for the task at hand and not worry about getting them dirtied or oil-soaked since they are replaceable. And unlike the paper manual, the printed pages can be pinned to the wall so they are not taking up space on the workbench. Just a thought,
Best,
DG

Choices

The reprom DVD manual is the most authoritative for what you need, although the organization and use are kinda clunky. The Haynes manual is also good. You might still want to consult several sources before embarking on any tune up or repair procedure as sometimes info changes, like the final drive oil amount and frequency of change. There are also some recalls and BMW service bulletins that could affect your bike that you would not be aware of from only those two earlier sources. You can ask your dealer or Google those, or go to the federal government website for motor vehicle recalls. It is nhtsa.gov or something close to that. Recalls of course are free and so are service bulletins, but I have found my dealer only does the latter if you are having other paid work done. This may differ from dealer to dealer.

Echoing what is said by those above and adding that A&S Cycles has printable service schedules on their web site for you.

I, like you, just started with a BMW boxer and found that this site, the BMW DVD, the Haynes manual and YouTube has all information/instructions/tutorials I have needed to accomplish necessary work. (Spent a lot of time reading before I started)

I have always done all my own work for the last 45 years of riding and intend this to be the same. To date using the above resources my bike has had: all fluids changed including brake and clutch flushes, valve clearance check and adjust (one exhaust side needed shims), throttle body sync, spark plugs, air filter, struts changed (rear was leaking), rear brake master cylinder changed (leaking), head light bulb replaced, front brake pads installed and seat heater wiring harness replaced. I did the service work just for my own edification as the previous owner had the dealer doing it on schedule, brake pads still had some life but changed them anyway and the needed repairs were performed.

I purchased the BMW DVD, Haynes manual, some Torx tools I did not have, GS-911, and a "tool kit" which included oil filter wrench and I had everything else already. Judging by the invoices from the dealer the previous owner gave me (he gave me all of the records back to purchase) I have already paid for all the purchased stuff.:)

GD

Back