• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Schuberth C3 Pro pin-lock and the clueless newbie

W7lej1

Kindly curmudgeon
Howdy All,

OK, so the local yearly 'cycle show went down a weekend or two ago. I sipped the Schuberth Kool-Aid and sprang for a C3 Pro. Finally got around to taking out the pin-lock "sub-shield" insert. It seems to be a very pale green tint. Is that a protective film that I haven't yet figured out how to peel off, or is it, as it seems, the actual color of the Schuberth pin-lock insert?

Thanks, regards,

Marty

Howdy All,
I sipped the Schuberth Kool-Aid and sprang for a C3 Pro.

I don't know the answer to your question but I have been contemplating trying this helmet. Please let me know how you like it. Did you get the comm system also?

I don't know the answer to your question but I have been contemplating trying this helmet. Please let me know how you like it. Did you get the comm system also?

Howdy Eaglechance,

Initial impressions (no particular order):

1. Fit - it was a little snug across my forehead after wearing it for about 15 minutes at the show. But I remembered that All previous new helmets "loosened up" over time, so I felt this would probably be ok. I've now worn it three or four times, two commutes per day, about 1/2 hour each, it seems to be "comfy-ing up" just fine. Apparently I have a "Schuberth-shaped" head (my heritage IS 1/2 German šŸ˜Š

2. Quietness - very subjective, but it seems a little quieter than the Shoei Quest I had been wearing. That is based on commuting at speeds up to about 40 MPH. Haven't had it out at highway speeds yet. And keep in mind - I'm the same guy that posted about riding with hearing aids about two weeks ago, so my assessment of quietness may not be very dependable!

3. Ventilation - awesome. First helmet I've ever owned where I can open the top vent and actually feel the air moving. No read yet on effectiveness of the pin-lock in preventing fogging.

4. Chin strap latch (vs. buckle on previous helmets) - I LOVE it!

5. Modular design and putting on/taking off - one more small step in the process, seems to be no big deal.

The SRC system - not yet. Still researching and considering options, and there is a budget to consider.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Regards, Marty

I should think there is a film on the pinlock insert. I have four and there was a film to be removed from each. I also don't think there is a green insert. I have dark and light smoke, clear and yellow. Maybe the green is the film to be removed.

I should think there is a film on the pinlock insert. I have four and there was a film to be removed from each. I also don't think there is a green insert. I have dark and light smoke, clear and yellow. Maybe the green is the film to be removed.

The film on mine is peel off and was a yellow green.

Thanks, All! I found out that a friend at work had also recently purchased a Schuberth and he also confirmed that the pale green is a film. Now, to figure out how to get it loose. I have the dexterity of a penguin.

Regards, Marty

Howdy Eaglechance,

Apparently I have a "Schuberth-shaped" head (my heritage IS 1/2 German šŸ˜Š

there is a budget to consider.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Regards, Marty

My biggest concerns!

There are not a lot of shops near me that sell these due to the price point. I've gone through ordering & returning helmets online and I'm ready to shell out for the one that fits. (My husband is ready for me to pick one already, also!) Sounds like this helmet has many desirable features that you don't know you miss till you have them - I was also wondering about the chin strap. I don't think I would miss fumbling with a D-ring latch!

Thanks for your insights! We may just take a trip cross-state to Revzilla.

~Renee

Great helmet!

I believe you will find it has a protective film. I've had my c3pro for two years and find it very comfortable, great quality and with the pinlock especially good on days where you may start out a 30f and peak at 50f - my glasses might fog up but the screen holds up well.

Be careful cleaning the drop down sunscreen to prevent streaking, and it seems to last very well.

I tried many helmets and the c3pro fit me best - although the price was steep. After a couple years I'm very satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Schuberth.

My biggest concerns!

There are not a lot of shops near me that sell these due to the price point. I've gone through ordering & returning helmets online and I'm ready to shell out for the one that fits. (My husband is ready for me to pick one already, also!) Sounds like this helmet has many desirable features that you don't know you miss till you have them - I was also wondering about the chin strap. I don't think I would miss fumbling with a D-ring latch!

Thanks for your insights! We may just take a trip cross-state to Revzilla.

~Renee

Renee
Definitely try them on.
I made the mistake of buying my wife a C3W med. to replace her HJC Symax med.
It was way to small. She was able to try them on some time later and found the C3 lg. was a good fit.
I went from the HJC Symax xlg to the C3 xlg and it was a good fit.

I got around to putting my pinlock in this winter. Works great. The only problem is my glasses fog up instead.

Renee
Definitely try them on.
I made the mistake of buying my wife a C3W med. to replace her HJC Symax med.
It was way to small. She was able to try them on some time later and found the C3 lg. was a good fit.
I went from the HJC Symax xlg to the C3 xlg and it was a good fit.

I got around to putting my pinlock in this winter. Works great. The only problem is my glasses fog up instead.

I would imagine that your glasses would have fogged as well as the inside of the windscreen without the pinlock.

At least that is my experience with my C3 and pin lock.

My glasses fog, but I can look around them as they are mostly for reading the GPS and speedometer

Last edited:
Pin Lock

For you seasoned riders out there. Now that spring it coming, and the warm weather is approaching, is it better to remove the pin lock anti fog inserts or keep them in throughout the summer?

Adam

Well, I have had mine for 4 years and just leave it in. I don't even notice that it is there.....

Oops, you asked seasoned riders!!!!!

John

Hmmm... If glasses fog up then I would never spring for the extra $$$ for pinlock and stick with a regular 'normal' shield. My experience with 'normal' shields and glasses is the ONLY way not to fog glasses in low temp or rainy conditions is to slightly crack the shield - yes this is colder (I am in Canada) and some liquid moisture gets in as well. I have tried a few snake oil anti-fog solutions and some work (for a very short while), most don't and all are only useful if both the shield and ones glasses both have it and that they both 'work' at the same time.

I leave my Pinlock insert in all the time. I have dark and light smoke, clear and yellow inserts which I change as lighting changes. Easier than carrying several shields on a trip, for example.

Back