• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2014: The Report

Today is Wednesday and we depart Louisbourg. Some of the group head to tour Fortress Louisbourg. I did not get any pictures from this year's visit but these former year pictures will give you the idea. Also, this link from a previous year will give you a good picture of what to expect. ( http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...lly-2013-The-Report/page4&highlight=salty+fog )

DSC02979-1.jpg

DSC03052-1.jpg

DSC03075-1.jpg

DSC03100-1.jpg

DSC03181-1.jpg

DSC03162-1.jpg

Mary, Paul, Ron and I ride to Glace Bay to tour the coal mine. ( http://www.minersmuseum.com/ ) Mary and Ron remain on the surface at the museum. Paul and I set forth on our underground adventure.

Some instructions from our guide ( a retired coal miner ) while we still have some standing room. Past this point the roof clearance settles into a challenging five foot (or less!!) head banger.

IMG_2464_zps41bfa883.jpg

IMG_2478_zps515db558.jpg

IMG_2480_zpsd50ce07e.jpg

Paul remained enthused throughout the entire tour

IMG_2508_zps8d126a00.jpg

A garden way down under...

IMG_2507_zps1702a280.jpg

A description of equipment used before our journey back to the surface

IMG_2488_zps4b051dee.jpg

We now ride on to meet with the others. The plan is to meet at the giant fiddle in North Sydney. From there it's a short ride to tonight's KOA camp next to the Cabot Trail and our counterclockwise journey on Thursday.

Last edited:
During SFRR2013, Wayne suggested that we all should visit the giant fiddle at the Port of Sydney in 2014. So we did. The group reconvened at the waterfront for a short walk to the fiddle.

IMG_2514_zps961568e1.jpg

DSC01526_zpsd79cf3ec.jpg

Our next stop for the night was truly rustic......

DSC01534_zpsd75d8bcf.jpg

... well, it could have been but we opted for the cabins at the North Sydney KOA ( http://koa.com/campgrounds/north-sydney/ Tell Jason that you heard about them from the Salty Fog Riders. Excellent hosts!). After a fine meal at the Cedar House Bakery and Restaurant (where's my picture of the famous whoopi pie....!? ), a short ride across the Seal Island Bridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_Island_Bridge) we returned for a night of campfire, adult beverages and being treated to some star-gazing guided by Quinn.

DSC05532_zps03572569.jpg

Now for breakfast and the Cabot Trail: Let The Adventure Step It Up A Notch

SmokeySign.jpg

Breakfast at the Clucking Hen (info and photos at: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran...rth_Shore_Cape_Breton_Island_Nova_Scotia.html ) Excellent place to stop before the ride on the trail and they have delicious and reasonably priced food and great coffee

Along the shore, after breakfast, Mary and I take the opportunity for a Billings promo.

57df1596-9831-4ccb-831d-08476a6dfee9_zpsc4213ad2.jpg

Last edited:
This is our route today. Tonight it's camping in Meat Cove and the Edge of the Earth Gathering :evil The next 60+ miles will take us high and along the rugged shore. Going counter clockwise allows some 'on the edge' perspectives - especially through the Cape Breton Highlands National Park ( http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ns/cbreton/index.aspx/ ) . It is also safer to keep the pull offs on your right (no cross traffic surprises... although we do have one road crossing stop)

1f321d16-6570-4d3d-bb8c-63e4ae8f0525_zps76591032.jpg

CBHighlandsMap_zps56de55e9.jpg

One of our traditional stops is just inside the park. Nice boardwalk and great for picture taking.

Next: SFRR On The Rocks

Along about this time we were joined by a couple from Ohio. Brian and Gail travelled with our little band on this leg of our tour.

10408603_890054667689211_4450669099704431660_n_zps6dc81001.jpg

CIMG1002_zps598d298c.jpg

A few pictures of the whole crew 'on the rocks'.....

IMG_2552_zps2d2f7862.jpg

IMG_2541_zps1d9d5025.jpg

All sorts of puns and really sad quips come to mind for this picture.....butt let the picture speak for itself.

DSC01558_zpsc028f2db.jpg

Next a beer run to Neil's Harbour and the Co Op Store and then onward to Meat Cove.

Now.... up, over, around and down to 'The Edge'....

DSC_1431-1.jpg

PaulandShorti17_zps53049c01.jpg

(archive 2013; Paul and Shorti photo)

PaulandShorti16_zps98a5fa80.jpg

(archive 2013; Paul and Shorti photo)

IMG_2620_zps5170b285.jpg

IMG_2627_zps34e088f1.jpg

IMG_2578_zps942a10d9.jpg

Time for some food at the Chowder Hut ..... and then the campfire, picture taking and great conversation... what a great night!

The food at the Chowder Hut in Meat Cove is EXCELLENT and worth the trip in itself! (this is an archive pic because I cannot find the recent ones.)

DSC05660.jpg

....and now as we ease into the sunset... eat your heart out Key West!

IMG_2588_zps59194144.jpg

IMG_2586_zps718c0c4a.jpg

IMG_2590_zps89b057de.jpg

IMG_2598_zps8c3a97b5.jpg

IMG_2610_zps090aac75.jpg

IMG_2617_zpsbbc0d641.jpg

IMG_2605_zpsf0889c92.jpg

CIMG1068_zps28f8371e.jpg

IMG_2606_zps3555eb07.jpg

IMG_2613_zps961426ca.jpg

IMG_2614_zpsa1e0d16f.jpg

Late to this thread, really have to get my pictures to you Bob (and others). :wave

I know you all enjoyed the Honda beer car and not having to suit up and ride to dinner, but I plan to be on 2 wheels this year. Total knee replacement is set for March 13.

Late to this thread, really have to get my pictures to you Bob (and others). :wave

I know you all enjoyed the Honda beer car and not having to suit up and ride to dinner, but I plan to be on 2 wheels this year. Total knee replacement is set for March 13.

ah.... the HondaBeerCar. What a one-off treat that was. Allowed us to do a few things with a bit more convenience but next time ..... Wish you well with the surgery. Chat later.

Best of luck with the replacement Tom.

Great stuff Bob and all! :dance

Makes me want to go back and experience the overnight on the edge. Meat Cove is spectacular! :clap

But then I would have to carry all that camping stuff. :D

Great stuff Bob and all! :dance

Makes me want to go back and experience the overnight on the edge. Meat Cove is spectacular! :clap

But then I would have to carry all that camping stuff. :D

They rent camping cabins there. Only thing is, if you take that it automatically becomes the 'hospitality suite' :lol Maybe you could just pencil in the first week of September and join the tour? A few folks from NJ have joined us and liked it so much that they came back again! - Bob

Thanks Bob (and Mary too!). I have read and enjoyed every one of your SFR Reports, as Paul also encouraged me to join you up there. Man, do I miss his enthusiasm.

Not sure if it is fortunate that I am able to take a long trip every year (JUly), or unfortunate that the first week of September does not work in my schedule for the long trip, probably both. Still have a few years until retirement will allow the time to travel the extended trips that I want to.

Maybe next time up I can at least let you know we're in the neighborhood, possibly 2016 or 2017.

And Finally.....

Friday, the last leg of the tour. This is an excellent ride with periods of challenge and joy. The Chowder Hut does not have breakfasts so we set about with some early morning packing and ablutions. We bid our farewells to Tom early this morning due his need to return home to Mass. Tom is the first person to sign up for the 2015 Salty Fog Rally we look forward to meeting again then.... if not in Billings :dunno

As Meat Cove fades in the mirror, we wind ourselves back out and onto the main road heading to Pleasant Bay and breakfast. This is today's route:

8fb5ab79-5a84-4655-af37-a6d73933508d_zpsf4a1bd27.jpg

Our breakfast stop is again at the Mountain View Restaurant and Motel ( http://www.themountainview.com )

MountainViewRest_zps5e58286f.jpg

Cannot find some pictures associated with this stop but just imagine .... :bar

Next stop: Four farewells to the Quinn, Mo, Brian and Gail then to Cheticamp for fuel.

Last edited:
Well nourished and ready to move on. However, Bob (aka me) miscalculated his fuel but the Restaurant folks arranged for a bit of fuel to ensure that he made Cheticamp without pushing. Very generous and helpful! We moved on for a few more scenic pull-offs

IMG_2637_zps0abdd653.jpg

IMG_2638_zpsc84dff6a.jpg

IMG_2636_zps83d1d615.jpg

IMG_2635_zpsaf75259d.jpg

Quinn, Mo, Brian and Gail make plans to go whale watching, following a suggestion from the staff at the restaurant. Word has it that they all had very good fortune with sightings. The remaining crew ventured forth for the ride back down to the Canso Causeway and back onto the mainland. A couple of pictures of the journey back:

Ron, Bud, Mary and Paul backdropped by the most often photographed spot on the trail.

IMG_2643_zpsf303a56a.jpg

IMG_2641_zpsf1957aad.jpg

Within a short time we were back on the mainland and heading our separate ways. Mary and I head back to Larry's River....Ron rides back home to Prince Edward Island...Paul and Bud journey back, respectively, to Ontario and Illinois. The end of Year Seven.

Stay tuned in another thread for information regarding the Salty Fog Riders Rally 2015. Your really don't want to miss the particulars of this one!

Stay vigilant; ride safe - Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Mary and Bob for the event and the report.:thumb

For anyone who has never been to Nova Scotia and think you might like it, I encourage you to go ASAP. Good people, good food, great roads, fantastic views and, if the exchange rate continues in the current direction, it will be a great bargain for Yanks. Today you get $1.24 CN for each $ US. A bonus of almost 25%. Last summer it costs $1.05 US for $1 CN so today would represent over a 30% savings from last year.

You will not regret making the trip.

And if you happen to be able to enjoy the Salty Fog it will be a double bonus.

Mary and Bob open their home to people they don't know and then give you experiences that you may not have had otherwise.

What are you waiting for? Get Kraken!!!!

Back