• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Saddlebag Reflector issue trickling down I guess.

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I received a recall today, seems like the reflector issue on some of the new GSA's-

Recall Campaign No. 17V-481: Rear-Side Reflex Reflectors.

Dear BMW Owner/Lessee

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. BMW AG has decided that certain Model Year 2018 BMW R1200GS Adventure,
Model Year 2008 - 2012 BMW F650GS,
Model year 2008 - 2018 BMW F800GS, and
Model Year 2014 - 2017 BMW F800GS Adventure motorcycles fail to conform to FMVSS No. 108 (lamps, reflective devices and associated equipment).
Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially effected motorcycle.

It goes on, but it sounds like they want to stick a reflector on the side of my (plastic) Vario cases.

My Bike is an 2009 BMW F800GS.

OM

Actual paperwork arrived today. His post was from August and I didn’t see the F800GS listed- only the F800R and F800GT :dunno
OM

My guess is BMW just said “screw it”, let’s just do them all trying to prevent the cataclysmic collapse of the last known black hole as the asteroid passed by. :bolt
OM

Yes, Canada too. I got the notice for my F800GT a while ago. I need to contact the dealer to find out if they need the whole bike or if I can just take them the cases.

Hmmmm, I wonder if it's one of the red reflective sticky ones you see on deer crossing signs.........

4272881395_0dfaaae012_z.jpg

Or- you could use the reflective tape from one of our members- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...eflective-Kits-for-Your-Saddlebags-and-Trunks

This is a big deal!!!!!! :rofl How can I decide? :ha
OM

The "CURE", cross posted from F-Twins....

If you have been patiently waiting to have the reflector recall performed on your F800GT with saddlebags you should know the parts are available in the U.S. now. My dealer apparently was not aware of this, but after a little back & forth between them and BMW USA Customer Relations they had the part number and the parts were ordered. They arrived quickly here in Maryland from Pennsylvania. I had the new bracket and reflectors installed today, it probably took about 45 minutes or so. The bracket drops the reflectors a couple of inches and the reflectors also hang off the bottom of the bracket(?!?). From the back they are nearly invisible still, while from the side they can now be seen (and we know the moron who just blew through a stop sign or stop light drunk or texting will now see my little reflectors and stop before killing me .. uh huh ...). Style-wise, I'd say they're definitely, uh, "functional". At least the new bracket provides a convenient place to attach some Hyperlites or Skenedesign P3 flashing brake lights down the road.

attachment.php

Thanks for the picture :thumb
OM

My prediction is a lot of people asking to keep their originals and a lot of the new bracketry residing on garage shelves across North America. A ridiculous issue that could have been resolved by adding a reflector to the pannier, which would be a more effective location anyway.

$0.02,

DG

My prediction is a lot of people asking to keep their originals and a lot of the new bracketry residing on garage shelves across North America. A ridiculous issue that could have been resolved by adding a reflector to the pannier, which would be a more effective location anyway.

$0.02,

DG

It's not a trip to the dealer I would be making for a retrofit. New bikes- no choice:banghead

Pretty silly still in my mind. I fell for a safety upgrade on my Dodge Cummins years ago...now the horn honks if you back up with door open,which sometimes is necessary wrangling trailers.Annoying.

I fell for a safety upgrade on my Dodge Cummins years ago...now the horn honks if you back up with door open,which sometimes is necessary wrangling trailers.Annoying.
Me too. Annoying...oh yeah!
Now so many vehicles leave all the lights on when they are shut off, with the back-up lights on, it seems like they left them in gear! :hungover
OM

Back