• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Route 66 Planning

wib

We plan to ride Route 66 next year. Probably leave Toronto late May, around the 20th, and need to be in LA around June 15th. We plan to ride secondary roads where possible, keeping off the interstate sections. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have some GPX files they would be willing to share? We are just starting the planning and I'm not sure where the highlights are and what places to avoid. Thanks, Chris

Yep - 2021

Rode it from the actual sign in Chicago to Flagstaff, that is where my kids live. Would really check out the routes, as you will find out Route 66 changed many times through the years. The route will take you through some big cities which I would avoid as some of the areas are not too nice. The hotels are neat and interesting if you stay in the original style ones. Some of Route 66 only excites next to a newer road, you will see the remnants, I did ride on some of them so I can say I actually rode on Route 66 in that area. There are some very nice towns that reflect what it was like back in its heyday but when I went there were too many tourists so a lot of it I just rode by. Some of it towards the South West is all Main Freeway, there are Remnants but dead ends and you will have to backtrack. I can PM you a link if you want to see some more pictures. have Fun and Good Luck. Any questions and I will try to answer.

Original66.jpg Route66_Start.jpg

I've ridden parts of Route 66 from Springfield to past Flagstaff. As was stated in a previous post, Route 66 has moved many times. Often it's the access road along I-40. You can find Old 66 as "Business Route 40" in many of the southwestern towns. These BR sections often show what 66 looked like in the old days. There are a lot of old museums on these stretches and other fun spots ("standing on the corner in Winslow, AZ"). If you follow Rt66 through OK, stop at Seaba Station, a small motorcycle museum located in an old gas station building. Not Barber's, but still fun! Just outside is the old bathroom building. IIRC, this station was the site of the first bathroom on Rt66 w/indoor plumbing. Just a few miles west of Seaba Station is the 30-ft(?) coke bottle, beckoning weary travelers to stop, fill up, and drink a cool one! (Note: last September this coke bottle station offered the highest priced gas in the state of OK).

Do your research and enjoy the trip!

Back