• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Road trip in S.Ca & Az

Hey guys
I"m from Boston Mass and my brother lives in Yacipa Ca. Last year I shipped my 85 r80rt out to Las Vegas and we did some riding and it was great. The bike is in Yacipa now and My Girlfriend and I are planing a south west ride the end of February this year.
Looking for advice on good roads, warm weather places, and good B&Bs.
We both teach School, are in our fifty's, and are looking for a nice low key getaway bmwmoa style.
Any help will be appreciated.
Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Thanks
Brian

Not sure how much riding you plan on doing. Over nighters, multiple nights, day rides? Typically So. Cal. can still be rainy at the end of Feb/March, BUT, since we are already over our average, it may work in your favor.
West and south from Yucaipa to our beaches is always an ok place to go(eats:eat & views:ear), but anything Long Beach to Santa Monica gets very difficult to navigate through.
A days ride north of you is Death Valley. Probably about the best time of year to see.
Just east and south is Palm Springs and my favorite area of Borrego Springs & Anza Borrego State Park. Can be quite warm in those areas that time of year. Also, with all the rain we have had, you 'might' catch the blooming flowers of the desert.
Up the coast towards Pismo Beach and Morro Bay is fantastic also.
Hopefully us westerners will start responding to your request with other ideas...there really is alot to ride/see out here.
P.S. I've got a relative in Yucaipa-If you golf, some great courses very close to you(I have gotten my 'strokes per dollar' value on just about all of them!
Sam

Thanks Sam
I plan on a few over night trips staying at a B&B or Motel and a few day trips. So Sounds like I have lots to see. Thanks. As it gets closer I will make a list of places to stay and see.
Thanks again and keep the ideas coming.
Brian

Plan warm;

Bring your electric riding gear, if you have any. I tour all year out here. Our passes get quite cold and AZ too is very nice riding in winter, but know you are in mountains that are huge by East comparisons. Watch the weather closely and the Grand canyon can be a wonderful winter getaway, but its 6000'+ and good weather is a great idea for that one. I've been there dozens of times in winter on my bikes. About a half day ride North of Phoenix. Electrics required. DV is a biker mecca in winter and many loops near it, say around Vegas, KingmanAZ and OatmanAZ and Lake HavasuAZ, all near CA. Near out here is an understatement by NE standards. Our states are LARGE and have open areas to cover. Locally, Julian and Ocotillo Wells, Palomar are great desert mountain riding. Welcome to the WEST, Happy Trails, Randy

Back