• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Road rules and things that aren't rules

Several years ago, while riding thru Texas for my first time, I noticed that in rural areas where there are lots of wide open space (most of Texas) and a very wide shoulder, that drivers would pull over when someone came up behind them and drive on the shoulder to allow them to go on by. This would definitely get you a ticket in Mississippi!

Been seeing and doing it as long as I can remember here. It's always been a road courtesy move. Get's a wave or a brakelight tap as they go on by usually:wave

Recall seeing signage about Not driving on the shoulder in some states...as well in a few places here.
There are a few vehicles from certain states that will not do it even if they see it happening ahead of them, nor move out of the fast lane on IH-10 going 5 or more under. Not profiling...sure can count on it to be one in particular more than any others:whistle
Don't move over on the bikes often as we do in our 4 wheelers as we seem to be right ahead of the pace, and there is a lot of junk in some spots...unless pressed:banghead

I don't remember the date, but I do member reading later that Wisconsin made it legal to proceed through a non functioning light after a certain length of time.

Edit: The date was Sep 2006.

Just for clarification, we have no "statutory language" that declares a non-functioning traffic control signal as 'anything.' All signals have hinged 'drop signs' that then display STOP. The intersection simply reverts to a four-way stop until the signals are repaired. The hinged signs are then flipped back up out of sight.

Statute 346.37 spells out the circumstances and time to wait (min. 45 sec.), before carefully violating the signal on a motorcycle (or bicycle). :wave

Just for clarification, we have no "statutory language" that declares a non-functioning traffic control signal as 'anything.' All signals have hinged 'drop signs' that then display STOP. The intersection simply reverts to a four-way stop until the signals are repaired. The hinged signs are then flipped back up out of sight.

Statute 346.37 spells out the circumstances and time to wait (min. 45 sec.), before carefully violating the signal on a motorcycle (or bicycle). :wave

Thanks for the info. By non-functioning, I meant the signal would not recognize our two bikes. I went back after our tickets to take pictures and the signal would recognize a 4 wheel vehicle.
The drop down sign is a smart feature I've never seen.

Mark, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I wanted you to understand even if there's an unwritten rule, you may run into a police officer that had a bad day.
Debbie and I have collected plenty of tickets over the years, but we have collected a lot more warnings with no fines.
I would say 99% of the time we have been stopped the officer has been friendly and understanding. A lot of this has to do with how you treat them.

Standard Practice in ...

Several years ago, while riding thru Texas for my first time, I noticed that in rural areas where there are lots of wide open space (most of Texas) and a very wide shoulder, that drivers would pull over when someone came up behind them and drive on the shoulder to allow them to go on by. This would definitely get you a ticket in Mississippi! I observed this for a couple of miles, thinking to myself that everyone in Texas must surely be crazy :), then realized that I am expected to do this if someone comes up behind me! Actually works quite well. I don't know if this is legal or not in Texas, but everyone was doing it. As for red lights, I've always wondered what the heck you are supposed to do if the red light won't turn green. If I'm in an area where there isn't much traffic, I don't see a cop, and it is clear...then I go. I always turn right on red when clear unless I see something that says don't.

South Africa. It is really appreciated on some twisty and hilly roads. And, if you are the vehicle doing the passing, it is customary to turn on the hazard lights to show your appreciation.

I have seen farm vehicles do this here in Ontario if they can. Works well.

Several years ago, while riding thru Texas for my first time, I noticed that in rural areas where there are lots of wide open space (most of Texas) and a very wide shoulder, that drivers would pull over when someone came up behind them and drive on the shoulder to allow them to go on by. ...

When we lived in Texas (Austin area), the shoulder was more often used as the passing lane. Quite unnerving to have some idiot in a pick-em up truck blast by you on the shoulder even if you were doing 10mph over the limit. Then again, open containers were legal there then...might have something to do with it.

Must be a Wisconsin thing. I've never seen that. Signals in New York might go into "fault" mode, in which case they blink red or yellow, depending on which road is chosen as the primary. If they go dark, good luck. Usually the police or fire department will assist if it is a local situation.

Harry

Several years ago, while riding thru Texas for my first time, I noticed that in rural areas where there are lots of wide open space (most of Texas) and a very wide shoulder, that drivers would pull over when someone came up behind them and drive on the shoulder to allow them to go on by.

On the "government" highways in Saudi Arabia, on a two-lane road, they'd just come at you head-on at full speed to pass. You were expected to take to the shoulder. That's what those paved shoulders were for, right?

Harry

Pretty sure driving/riding on the shoulder is prohibited here. When on a two lane road and a car approaches from the rear, I will move from the left wheel rut to the right wheel rut so the approaching vehicle can have a clear view of oncoming traffic and more room to pass. I know that, despite what my speedometer says, I'm probably going under the limit so I try to be courteous about it and not impede other vehicles.

South Africa. It is really appreciated on some twisty and hilly roads. And, if you are the vehicle doing the passing, it is customary to turn on the hazard lights to show your appreciation.

I have seen farm vehicles do this here in Ontario if they can. Works well.

I think it's Montana that has signage directing vehicles to move over if 3 or more vehicles are in your mirror. Saw the Highway Patrol enforcing it a few times.

Referring back to Royce's post #20 -
While it may be "legal" and convenient, parking in the striped ends of a row may be dangerous in another way:
If your bike gets clipped by a car, your insurance may not cover you: You were not occupying a real and designated parking spot.

I strongly believe that it now legal in ALL states to turn right on a red light (after coming to a full and complete stop first).
Shoulders - not in CA! But it's only illegal if you're caught...
Non-Functioning (or non-MC-sensing) lights - We do have written language that you may proceed after coming to a complete stop; if you get a ticket anyway but can show that it wasn't working correctly, the judge will toss it.

Traffic Signal Loops - TMI?

This may be too much information for this discussion, but I found a WikiPedia explanation of how traffic signal loops work. Seems like a magnet would have no effect, other than providing a bit more metal mass to a motorcycle:

"Vehicle detection

Vehicle detection loops, called inductive-loop traffic detectors, can detect vehicles passing or arriving at a certain point, for instance approaching a traffic light or in motorway traffic. An insulated, electrically conducting loop is installed in the pavement. The electronics unit transmits energy into the wire loops at frequencies between 10 kHz to 200 kHz, depending on the model. The inductive-loop system behaves as a tuned electrical circuit in which the loop wire and lead-in cable are the inductive elements. When a vehicle passes over the loop or is stopped within the loop, the vehicle induces eddy currents in the wire loops, which decrease their inductance. The decreased inductance actuates the electronics unit output relay or solid-state optically isolated output, which sends a pulse to the traffic signal controller signifying the passage or presence of a vehicle.[2] Parking structures for automobiles may use inductive loops to track traffic (occupancy) in and out or may be used by access gates or ticketing systems to detect vehicles while others use Parking guidance and information systems. Railways may use an induction loop to detect the passage of trains past a given point, as an electronic treadle.

The relatively crude nature of the loop's structure means that only metal masses above a certain size are capable of triggering the relay. This is good in that the loop does not thus produce very many "false positive" triggers (say, for example, by a pedestrian crossing the loop with a pocket full of loose metal change) but it sometimes also means that bicycles, scooters, and motorcycles stopped at such intersections may never be detected by them (and therefore risk being ignored by the switch/signal). Most loops can be manually adjusted to consistently detect the presence of scooters and motorcycles at the least."

Not to get off track, but I enjoyed your well written article in BMW ON March 2016 under Rider To Rider concerning Left lane legalities.:)

Not to get off track, but I enjoyed your well written article in BMW ON March 2016 under Rider To Rider concerning Left lane legalities.:)

Thank you Gail, but still waiting for my March Copy.

We'll see if it was 'edited.'

Better weather coming soon!

Getting anxious to ride, as in 6 weeks I start teaching motorcycle classes again. :dance

To the OP - realize that what is acceptable in one state (or even town) may not be in another. If you can follow local plates at well above the speed limit - do so for your own safety. If there are no local plates, obey the speed limits and parking regulations. Legal hassles are the one thing people from other countries MOST want to avoid.

In fact, I think this good advice for US tourists and Canadian tourists. If all the locals are driving 62 mph on a road posted at 60 mph, they are not concerned about their fuel economy. They know something. If the locals are driving 80 mph on a road posted at 70, they know something too. Go with the flow.

I think Doug has hit the nail on the head so to speak. We found that local flow is a very good indicator of what is "acceptable".
As tourists, we try to respect the local road rules while still trying to bleed every drop of enjoyment and excitement out of the amazing roads in the US. We want to avoid confrontation with the local police as well but the primary intention is to stay safe.

Back