• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Retirement!!!

Retirement ! ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasspicker View Post
Going on July 12th 2018, 4 pm

That's less than a thousand days plus or minus.
Even less when you count weekends, holidays and vacations.
Short timer

Charlie

p.s. If it is just you and a spouse, the trick is to get home first.
Also, take longer vacations. Tell your boss that you figured that if they couldn't do without you, they would be paying you more.

Glenfiddich,
Don't you go getting down on me. I know things are tuff now but they will be better soon. Your 60 so you only got a few years till full Social Security kicks in. And you'll be riding your butt off with all that free time and disposable income. Hang in there big brother, I look forward to seeing you at the national next year.

Not getting down on life, just disappointment that such a phenomenal company full of hard-working, passionate employees who thought of the company as their own has been driven into the ground by new management with ego issues.

Upon retirement I look forward to playing a much more active role in our local BMW club, traveling and hosting travelers, keeping up with home maintenance and improvements, and raising the next remarkable dog to share our lives. I might retire at 62 while I'm still young enough to enjoy the golden years, but not collect SS till later. Again, the health insurance thing is the only obstacle.

I had to dig down aways to find this thread. Apparently, MOA members have decided to keep on working, at least for the last four months. I just flew my last trip, and with the last four days of the month off, I am effectively retired. My official date is April 1, 2016, but for all intents and purposes, I'm retired. I will miss the job, some of the people, none of the commute to New York every week, and the paycheck. I look forward to time at home and travel for pleasure. My last trip was JFK to Barcelona and my wife was given a seat in business class and we enjoyed a brief visit to a beautiful city. My first day was spent working on the bike and then enjoying a ride. Next up, taxes. Oh well, it can't always be perfect.
Doug

I had to dig down aways to find this thread. Apparently, MOA members have decided to keep on working, at least for the last four months. I just flew my last trip, and with the last four days of the month off, I am effectively retired. My official date is April 1, 2016, but for all intents and purposes, I'm retired. I will miss the job, some of the people, none of the commute to New York every week, and the paycheck. I look forward to time at home and travel for pleasure. My last trip was JFK to Barcelona and my wife was given a seat in business class and we enjoyed a brief visit to a beautiful city. My first day was spent working on the bike and then enjoying a ride. Next up, taxes. Oh well, it can't always be perfect.
Doug

What did you do that required the travel?

Going on July 12th 2018, 4 pm :wave

Congrats!!

Rarely a decision anyone regrets.

Sometimes, we fall victim to an entire industry of complex 'retirement planners' who make the whole scenario more difficult than it seems, with algorithms, pie charts, astronomical estimates, actuarials, etc.

I made sure everything I had (house, SUV, car, R1200RT) was paid for before I walked out the door. Then I calculated how to simply live within my means - not how to live regardless of my means - that leads to big debt and sleepless nights wondering if you should have pulled the pin.

Walked out the door at age 53 (10 years ago come this May 3rd) and never looked back. With limited part time employment of my choice (I teach newbies how to ride motorcycles or drive cars fast - they pay me for that!), I don't fret over health insurance costs, price of gas, etc.

To each their own, but I kept life simple, and that was all that mattered in the end. :wave

OK guys, you want to talk when to take your SS retirement. Your hopes and desires let me give you some hind sight, For free. Remember what is good for one is not good for all. What would have I done different? First of all I would have taken flying lessons when I was still wet behind the ears. Second; I would have waited until I was 65 rather than 62 for my SS retirement. I did this under advisement of an accountant who I later fired, once you do this there is no going back. However I continued to work and pay into SS, but I worked on a reduced schedule. I continued to work part time until I was 75 years old, I am now 83 years old. As stated before I was self employed and able t choose my assignments, also as stated before I liked my work, I enjoyed it. What would I have done differently at this point? After losing my wife almost 6 years ago I should have sold this house pronto, and bought a motorhome or toy hauler and hauled ass out of South Florida. If I had done this when I was younger I would not have the worries of home ownership, taxes and all that stuff. Plus I surely would have better places to ride my motorcycle. But with my present physical condition this is now out of the question.

....And so goes life, all it's would've, could've, should've and too-late-now'ves (that's not a word). We survey the choices, make our picks and push go...until the go button is gone.

Sounds like it was fun. Any thoughts on an after career or are you going cold turkey?

My plan is to at least take the summer off. Corporate flying may still be an option, but, after 30 years, I'm ready to stay on the ground for a while. I am looking forward to more flexibility when planning my motorcycle trips, go when it's nice, stay home when it isn't. I suspect that once the home projects are sorted out, I may look for some local part time work. I've saved and hopefully will have enough to make future employment a choice and not a necessity.
Doug

My plan is to at least take the summer off. Corporate flying may still be an option, but, after 30 years, I'm ready to stay on the ground for a while. I am looking forward to more flexibility when planning my motorcycle trips, go when it's nice, stay home when it isn't. I suspect that once the home projects are sorted out, I may look for some local part time work. I've saved and hopefully will have enough to make future employment a choice and not a necessity.
Doug

I'm in the planning stages for what comes next. It's couple of years out, but I'm looking for something to keep the creative juices stirring on a regular basis. For the next 5 or 10-yrs, full time would be OK, as long as I was interested/entertained and living in a place I enjoyed.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to truly retire and enjoy it. I think I'll need to do something.

However, I know that I'm fortunate to even have the chance to consider options.

Jon

Health Insurance

I haven't really followed this thread to much........Read a few and then go away for awhile. What I haven't seen mentioned that truly hits me a lot is health insurance.
Specifically a supplement for Medicare. Those of you that are healthy, God bless you for sure. May you and your spouse totally remain that way. For me, I have been blessed with my VA, military health benefit, and now Medicare for the last couple of years. My wife will not be eligible for Medicare for a few years and has had a string of knee and ankle problems. I'll tell ya what, if it had not been for my Tri-care I don't know what I would've done and even still though the 20% co-pay can eat up a lot of money.........

Thank goodness for my health insurance coverage. This is what I am trying to point out to you guys. I hope you have a Medicare supplement to take care of your co-pays when you hit 65 and something for sure for your spouse.........I still am basically healthy but it seems at around 60, I started having all kinds of stuff go wrong, and it isn't getting any better.......Surely not to moan and groan about my health problems on here for I totally cannot abide by the folks that come on here, other threads, and complain about what is going on.......that's another subject........But, what does happen as we age, if you just watch on here, is folks get worse off physically as we age........Hoping your insurance is gonna take care of you financially and physically.........Otherwise you just might end up in the poor house for sure........God bless.....Dennis

I haven't really followed this thread to much........Read a few and then go away for awhile. What I haven't seen mentioned that truly hits me a lot is health insurance.
Specifically a supplement for Medicare. Those of you that are healthy, God bless you for sure. May you and your spouse totally remain that way. For me, I have been blessed with my VA, military health benefit, and now Medicare for the last couple of years. My wife will not be eligible for Medicare for a few years and has had a string of knee and ankle problems. I'll tell ya what, if it had not been for my Tri-care I don't know what I would've done and even still though the 20% co-pay can eat up a lot of money.........

Thank goodness for my health insurance coverage. This is what I am trying to point out to you guys. I hope you have a Medicare supplement to take care of your co-pays when you hit 65 and something for sure for your spouse.........I still am basically healthy but it seems at around 60, I started having all kinds of stuff go wrong, and it isn't getting any better.......Surely not to moan and groan about my health problems on here for I totally cannot abide by the folks that come on here, other threads, and complain about what is going on.......that's another subject........But, what does happen as we age, if you just watch on here, is folks get worse off physically as we age........Hoping your insurance is gonna take care of you financially and physically.........Otherwise you just might end up in the poor house for sure........God bless.....Dennis

Dennis,

You're absolutely correct on this one. You need to have insurance and medigap when the time comes.

The scary thing is............ I've known several people, contractors, loggers, entrepreneurs, etc..that never had health insurance until they became medicare eligible. I never could understand that lifestyle......

Congrats to you Doug for making the call.

It can be daunting, but also a sense of freedom. My oldest brother was a regular Pacific crosser prior to putting his wings to the side in favor of a 42' sailboat in the PAC NW many years back.

I physically and mentally work harder now than my last few years at work. I wasn't challenged anymore and I was able to say Adios.

Retirement to me did not mean sitting still or hanging out at the local coffee shop shooting the breeze.It was about enjoying the rest of my life on my terms...and Helen's of course:love I am busy and the doc says healthier at my last yearly physical. Yes, I already hurt in places I didn't before...but I am still happy.

Health and adequate( whatever that really means)health insurance are and should be factors. Don't wait too long if you think you need to for XYZ reasons...life can grab your backside abruptly and regret is a hard pill to swallow. Have known friends who thought they had to stay employed because they were the leader and doing well and thought they could not let it go...went to their funerals way too soon. I couldn't train my replacement soon enough after one of those events.

I am not near Medicare eligible for several more years and hope to hold off on SS until 65, but looking ahead of what to do. we have decent coverage as a retiree, though at a higher cost...but you cannot do w/out it, especially since we are some of those crazy folks riding motorcycles all the time among other outdoor risky but fun and healthy activities.

Report on news this morning says the Millenial Generation will need about $2 million in savings to live in their retirement due to fewer long term pensions or plans...not sure what age bracket that is...my kids fall in it as they are in their 30's I believe. That is scary and daunting.

It also seems a lot of younger generations have swapped jobs more than their parents. mine have, searching for security for their kids and happiness...which a lot of us gave up on in our long careers to see the light at the end of a long tunnel. My last two years were LONG, though I left at 52 with 30 years of service with only two employers. I still have friends waiting on that elusive XYZ...they aren't getting any richer staying.

I wonder what Hugh, the OP is up to now...he had a 'Wing when he moved on and was chasing golf balls.

Report on news this morning says the Millenial Generation will need about $2 million in savings to live in their retirement due to fewer long term pensions or plans...not sure what age bracket that is...my kids fall in it as they are in their 30's I believe. That is scary and daunting.

2 Million in 40-yrs ............that's easy. Just save $50,000 from each year's paycheck.

But, considering that the "mean" family earns 52~54,000 per year, it might take some sacrifice:)

Last edited:
Between playing golf, riding his Wing, and driving his Porsche, he hasn't had time to post since 2013. :)

I envy the smile he must sport every day, with that kind of a routine.

I enjoy my Gold Wing, drive all kinds of exotic machines at Road America, but can never emulate Hugh's golf game.

My feeble attempts at chasing that little white ball could best be described as "cruel and unusual punishment." :violin

That's called the VA........Anyone who wants to find out what Obama medicine is like needs to visit or get treatment by the VA...........

My brother has been a recipient of VA care that's been quite acceptable. Like all contacts with care providers, the more responsible we are knowing our health conditions and what our health care expectations should be...the better the chances of receiving the most efficient and highest level of care.

Last edited:
Back