• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacing Sight Glass Questions

mhallman

I bought the Wunderlich replacement sight glass with the C-ring for my 1100 RS. I couldn't find the process for replacing the sight glass in my Clymer manual but watched a couple videos on removing the glass. From what I've seen, drill/punch through the plastic and gently try to pry it out with a screwdriver. Is this the best way to take it out? What are some of the things I could screw up and make things worse?

Also, is there a trick to reinstalling the new glass with the C-ring? Videos show to use a large socket to force the new glass in, but none of the videos had the glass with the ring. And again the most important question, what do I need to be sure to avoid when reinstalling?

Thanks in advance.

Similar to removing an oil seal.

I use a strip of hard wood of the appropriate size to pivot the screwdriver shaft against it. Acts as a fulcrum. And don't run the end of the screwdriver on the aluminum mating surface as you are pivoting it out.

See if information here helps-
There are other threads as well. Usually on a “seal” like that, I would drill in and use a self-tapping screw to provide a “handle” to carefully remove the seal.
Good Luck.
OM

See if information here helps-
There are other threads as well. Usually on a “seal” like that, I would drill in and use a self-tapping screw to provide a “handle” to carefully remove the seal.
Good Luck.
OM
Would a screw work or cause a new problem if it was a new SG that had a glass rather than a plastic window? 🤷‍♂️

Would a screw work or cause a new problem if it was a new SG that had a glass rather than a plastic window? 🤷‍♂️
To drill glass, you would need a bit capable of drilling glass.
Any of this type of work needs as Deadpool would say- “Maximum Effort”.
OM

A glass sight glass would shatter in most removal cases. I am 99% sure it is plastic. Owners can use a soldering iron to melt the plastic sight glass. And the screw goes into the sight glass retainer, not the glass. Just checking in case you misunderstood OM

I just sold my 2003 R1150 GSA that I bought new 20 years ago. I used to carry a new sight glass, a new oil fill cap and O-rings for the quick disconnects in a small Nalgene jar in case of an emergency. I never needed them. LOL

The sight glasses were originally plastic and it was a simple matter to melt a hole on the clear plastic then use a screwdriver or brake spring tool to pluck out the sight glass. But the plastic got cloudy over time so a switch was made to glass, and the glass windows need to be left intact and extracted by the rim. As OM suggested above, a sheet metal screw inserted into the rim portion makes a great “handle” for pulling the sight glass. Just please don’t try drilling the glass unless you don’t mind fishing it out of the crankcase somehow. :oops:

best,
DeVern

Also, is there a trick to reinstalling the new glass with the C-ring?

The sight glass fits many different models and years. Your 1100RS does not have a channel to hold the clip that comes with the new sight glass. In your case, you throw it away. I think the 1200 bikes are the first that have the channel to fit the clip.

The sight glass fits many different models and years. Your 1100RS does not have a channel to hold the clip that comes with the new sight glass. In your case, you throw it away. I think the 1200 bikes are the first that have the channel to fit the clip.
Thanks. Should have asked before I bought it - could have saved twenty bucks on a cheaper version.

A glass sight glass would shatter in most removal cases. I am 99% sure it is plastic. Owners can use a soldering iron to melt the plastic sight glass. And the screw goes into the sight glass retainer, not the glass. Just checking in case you misunderstood OM

I just sold my 2003 R1150 GSA that I bought new 20 years ago. I used to carry a new sight glass, a new oil fill cap and O-rings for the quick disconnects in a small Nalgene jar in case of an emergency. I never needed them. LOL

As far as I know it's the original - I bought the bike about 6 years ago. I'm making the assumption it's plastic...

That's how I replaced them. I just drove a self tapping screw into the rubber outer edge and yanked it out with a pair of vice grips.

Just to follow up. I took the advice to use a soldering iron. The plastic melted easily and I carved out enough of the plastic to get a screwdriver in. I almost think I could have pulled it out with my fingernails - it came out in about 5 seconds (had good lubrication around the rubber :)). It was clearly ready to pop. Spent more time getting the new one to fit in.... Thanks for all the advice.

Back