• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RANT: Why I am done working on BMW's with CRAFTSMAN TOOLS!!

This guy is really rough on tools...its only a matter of time before he breaks another one.

Tools

I have found a lot of good information on these guys videos 13 or 14 minutes explaining why craftsmen tools suck a bit much, if you don't like craftsman you always have Pittsburgh tools at the Harbor.

I keep telling everyone if you don’t want to pay Snap-on prices, Home Depot has two lines of tools, one is China crap, the other is made by Matco, look for them or ask they are polished and darn nice

Jim

I keep telling everyone if you don’t want to pay Snap-on prices, Home Depot has two lines of tools, one is China crap, the other is made by Matco, look for them or ask they are polished and darn nice

Jim

I stand corrected, they are made by Proto is USA

My grandfather made most of his cabinet making tools himself. I remember him saying many times, " A good carpenter never blames his tools". I still have some of them.

Friedle

Jim

The Matco resource material I have seen is vague on where tools are actually manufactured They state they make a toolbox in USA, but I can't find comments on actual tool production. They do state they contract for some (many?) of their tools. Any reference material on which of their tools are made where? There is so much made in China now-a-day hard to find a pure USA quality product line.

Last edited:

I thought you might enjoy this guide for determining SNAP-ON manufacture dates.
0b8e1b7829045a38c41bbe9a97191e48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to own a set of Snap Ons, but have just never been able to justify the price for the non-professional mechanic.

I recently bought a set of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets from Tekton. I had never heard of them until I read a favorable review in Popular mechanics. I gotta tell you, I love these sockets. Excellent fit and finish, comes in a molded plastic case and the sockets are easy to remove unlike some others I've owned. The ratchet has more teeth in the gear than my craftsman, and feels very smooth and solid. Family-owned business in Grand Rapids, MI. and guaranteed for life.

https://www.tekton.com/sockets-and-ratchets?individual-set=set

Last edited:
Torx Set and Air Pressure Gauge

On the subject of tools.....

It's time to buy a really nice set of torx tools. This weekend went to install a Touratech LED headlight protector assembly requiring 3 torx sizes - I had 2 of 'em. Recommendations? (Shout out to the techs at Sandia BMW who tossed me the one I needed to borrow so I could finish the job begun in their driveway.)

- break -

Also - I have a tool box drawer with the remains of tire gauges cheap and not-so. I want to buy a new one that'll last forever - well, at least 20 yrs as I'm 60. If you've bought one lately (so it's still available either online or brick 'n mortar...) what's a good one?

Thanks guys/gals.

Mark

Mark - I'm quite happy with my BMW gauge, the black plastic one with the 45-degree angled head. Once you learn the "feel" of the angle against the valve stem, it's easy to use on my 1150's mag wheels, and on friends' Ks.
I've compared it to several other gauges, and it's spot-on.
The package it came in says lifetime warranty - even if the battery dies, bring it back and I get a free replacement.

Tim - More teeth inside the ratchet head may indicate that the teeth are smaller, and so would not have the strength to withstand some heavy-handed abuse. I've busted three Craftsman heads internally (two in a flex-head and one a fixed-head) over the years, and each time I got a rebuild kit free, no hassle at all.

Also - I have a tool box drawer with the remains of tire gauges cheap and not-so. I want to buy a new one that'll last forever - well, at least 20 yrs as I'm 60. If you've bought one lately (so it's still available either online or brick 'n mortar...) what's a good one?

Thanks guys/gals.

Mark

I have been using this one for years: https://tinyurl.com/y76aupg5

Joe

Accu-Gage EZ-02 in the garage. Also keep the more compact Milton S-921 on the RT and in both cars for on-the-road checks. Readings match within 1 psi. If I could have only one, I'd keep a Milton, probably the one I bought for my first car back in 1972. It's still accurate.

+1

I keep one on each bike and one in the garage. If you're at a gas station's air pump and their inflator won't fit onto your valve, no problem. Just put this gauge on your valve stem and then attach the service center's inflator to it and bring your tire to the correct pressure.

Back