• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Radiator Guards -- Plastic or Metal?

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
So my first attempt at getting radiator guards for my 2018 R1200 GS was a bust. Although the "Ebay Special" indicated they would fit my bike, they ended up being about 3/8 of an inch too narrow. :banghead So, I thought I'd just buy the BMW guards; however, I noticed they are plastic when I was at my local dealership. Now I'm having second thoughts about the BWM ones. What are people's thoughts on this? Would plastic provide enough protection, or should I look for metal ones?

I bought a set from COX and I am 100% happy with how they were made and how they fit...and you know I am one hell of a picky you know what.

Cox Racing Radiator Guards - BMW 1200 GS LC - Silver - 113-18121.jpg

And because I have better things to do than get the bugs out of my radiators, I made these fiberglass screens that have no effect on the before and after coolant temperatures. The bugs just brush off. I use my GSA as a street-only motorcycle since standards motorcycles no longer exist.

Cox Racing Radiator Guard Set, Silver with Screen - 1-XL.jpg

Cox Racing Radiator Guard Set, Silver with Screen - 2-XL.jpg

37K miles on the plastic BMW Radiator guards with no issues - lots of gravel betwixt here and Dawson City as well as the Copper Canyon and LaPaz. I had a set of BDCW metal guards on my '14, I like these better, they seem to flow more air and are easy to clean. YMMV

Back