• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

radiator fan toast

n1hnr941

Just pulled my radiator fan on my 96 k11rs. The forward end of fan had been hitting hard against the radiator and has done some minor damage to the fins. Doesn't look like it went too deep. I caught it in time. The fan had been squeling and making a racket. Anyway my question is because I can't see how the fan is attached, how is the fan attached to the motor shaft. The end is all chewed up and I don't want to pull it apart until I get my replacement fan assembly. I am not sure if the fan has slipped on the shaft or that the whole motor and fan assembly has shifted forward. And I found a spacer under the fan bracket and I assume it suppose to be there and I am missing one, is there suppose to be one directly forward of the fan centerline? If there is that is where my problem is Thanks for the help in advance. Bob Hearn, biddeford Maine

I replaced the fan/motor assembly on my 1100LT when I had it, more of a precautionary move. I've also heard of the fan moving on the shaft. Just replace the entire unit.

The plastic blade unit just pushes onto the fluted motor shaft & could move if the motor got hot. Fan failure is usually the bearing under the blade unit going dry & eventually locking the rotor. I reach in a couple times a season to check for free rotation. The squealing you mention may be the bearing going out. Good Hunting... <<<)))

Back