• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R90 Odometer repair (again)

plehman

http://www.pbase.com/dwerbil/image/14562012

Odometer stopped working recently. I'd done the JB Weld procedure before and the gear on the main shaft seems to be solid. But the worm gear was not engaged against the main shaft when I opened it up. When I turn it against the worm gear I cannot move anything. Sure looks like it should be engaged. When I back the worm gear off things turn, but I don't see what drives the odometer.

Question: should the worm gear be engaged against the odometer main shaft as now shown in the photos?

thanks a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 74
Yes, that photo shows the worm gear engaged with the main shaft. Mine was not when I opened it up. But when I engage the worm gear with the shaft nothing turns. The BIY said manually test.

So two questions, maybe obvious. Should this worm gear be engaged? and should I be able to manually turn it somehow.

thanks!

I take it when you say "things turn" you mean the parts upstream (in the instrument/odometer) from the worm gear. If that's the case, the problem lies between the speedo drive input and the worm gear.

Back