• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/5 speedometer

mgsdan

The speedometer on my '73 75/5 is moving wildly about. Speedo instrument was rebuilt about 3k miles ago. I replaced cable but still no help. If I hook up a variable speed drill too the drive end of the cable, speedo needle is smooth up to 60mph at least. So, maybe it is the drive gear in the transmission. The Cylmer manual says on the 4 speed, it is removed by just lifting it out. Is that possible, as I can not just lift it out. Any thoughts appreciated.

gear

It is very doubtful it is the gear in the transmission. They do not wear very much at all as they are metal and oil bathed. I had an issue with two rebuilt speedometers and bouncing needles on my /7 bikes. Unfortunately I was not able to solve the issue with the shop doing the repairs. The owner said the same thing, under their bench testing the needle is smooth.

Sorry not much help here, double check the routing of your cable. St.

This picture shows the speedometer drive:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0260-EUR-05-1973-2476-BMW-R75_5&diagId=23_0261

The small hat can be taken out...it's what holds the end of the speedometer cable. But for that drive gear to come up through that hole??? Hard to believe that works. :dunno

That drawing is wildly out of proportion, possibly to give a better view of the speedo drive spud? I know on the 5-speeds I’ve lifted those out and they can be fiddly to get reinserted and meshed. A short piece of old speedo cable to help rotate the spindle helps.

As pointed out earlier, not worth the effort as it’s not a part that normally wears. Cable and instrument are more likely to cause needle bounce.

Best,
DeVern

I had one with a busted cable that did exactly that. It would work with a drill, but in practice it waved all over. Turned out the cable was busted and at lower speeds like the drill could muster, it would hold together, but at higher speeds, it wouldn't.

Something to consider.

further

Further thought and info. As I said, I had issues with rebuilt speedos needles bouncing. One unit was the original unit to the bike with 200000 miles on it. The odometer quit working and I sent it in for repair, Speedo was recalibrated and upon getting it back and installing it, the needle bounces around. Second unit was a NOS unit, I sent it in for odometer to be set to a certain mileage, Speedometer Was also calibrated and of course the needle on it started bouncing. The speedometer I have on the bike now was a used one and I waited until mileage matched the second rebuilt one and installed it. Perfect calibration and no needle bounce.

I have never been able to solve the issue as to why I sent in two speedometers with perfectly steady needles and got back two with bouncing needles.

Backing up, I also thought the gear at the end of the speedometer cable might be worn. As I found, after 250000 miles it still looks brand new. A bouncing needle is either due to a bad cable, cable routing or the speedometer. St.

I will register another vote for the cable being the cause. A needle bouncing wildly from a bad cable will wreck your instrument. And yes, it happened to me on a ride home from a neighboring state. It didn't take very long either. If you fit a new cable and it does not solve the issue, you were going to have to have the speedo repaired anyway.

If it craps out again, you may want to consider going digital. Some look very similar in design to the /5, but now with no Speedo or Tach cables to mess with.

Back