• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/5 and a 'Uni-Go' trailer

TheSlashFiveTourer

Original 1973 LWB R75/5
Hello, ÔÇ£tourunigoÔÇØ out there in Halifax, Nova Scotia ÔÇô a question about the 'Uni-Go' trailer if I may.

I notice in your profile that you're the proud owner of a 1973 R75/5. Your main ride is the 1992 K1100LT with the 'Uni-Go' tagging along behind.

My question: Have you ever seen an R75/5 pulling a 'Uni-Go'? Good idea, or not?

Reason IÔÇÖm asking is that IÔÇÖve had a hankering to pull a 'Uni-Go' since I saw my first one at the Redmond (Oregon) National in 2001. A couple of the trailer owners from the Chicago area -(if I remember correctly)- had their units on display and were answering questions. I asked if an R75/5 could be set up with the proper hitch to haul the 'Uni-Go'. The answer I got was that the /5 drum brakes probably couldnÔÇÖt handle the little trailer over a long period and the clutch would wear out in no time.

When I got home from the Redmond National in 2001, I e-mailed the factory guys in New Zealand and posed my questions directly to them. They didnÔÇÖt address the brakes or possible clutch problem but told me, with so little demand from /5 owners for the 'Uni-Go', they didnÔÇÖt have a hitch designed for early bikes like my R75. One of the e-mails suggested that if I could have a hitch fabricated locally to accept the 'Uni-Go', I'd be ready for the road.

I saw a couple of swell-looking 'Uni-GoÔÇÖs' at the Trenton National in 2002 but they were attached to late-90ÔÇÖs or early 2000-year models ÔÇô all heavy on the disc brakes and more modern electrics than my venerable 33-year old R75/5. I notice the new website for 'Uni-Go' in the States - Schoolhouse Motorcycle Accessories - still does not show a hitch for the /5. They trying to tell me something?

(MoneyÔÇÖs tight so I canÔÇÖt really afford to head out and buy a 2005 R1200C at the moment. I had a ticket on the latest PowerBall, but some guy in front of me at that store in Lincoln, Nebraska last week bought the winner just before I got to the counter. Had I won, however. . .)

So, a 'Uni-Go' tugged by a 1973 R75/5 . . . Good, Bad or Ugly?

And, as I understand it, youÔÇÖre the 'Uni-Go' representative for the eastern half of the Dominion?

Thanks for your time (and anyone else who wants to chime in with proÔÇÖs and conÔÇÖs on the matter)

Attachments

• Uni-Go.jpg
    Uni-Go.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Be kind to your R75

Hello,
I am no expert on trailers, but as an owner of a similar bike, I would say be kind to your venerable /5. I love my 75/6 but I try not to ask more of it than it can comfortably deliver. I have packed mine moderately heavily for touring and it does just fine. I try to avoid long rides two-up with a lot of gear mostly because I think that the suspension and brakes are not really up to the added stress.
I made the supreme sacrafice of purchacing a newer R1150GS for the extended two-up touring. Both bikes are happier, as am I, and my wife. Only my bank account suffered.
I am sure that the /5 is a great bike and a strong runner. I am also sure that going easy on it will help to keep it that way for decades to come.
Theo Marks
'74 R75/6
'01 R1150GS

I think pulling a trailer would be better than putting saddlebags and a giant Luftmeister fairing on the thing, and how many people did that? Those bikes are tough.

I have been toying with simular idea's at different times. Everytime I ask questions about it I get told one way or the other that the bike is not designed for a trailer and trailering should be left to 4 wheels. I am sure that the Airheads can do it, especially the later ones from 1990 to 1995; but that still does not make it a good idea. :nono
With this in mind my philosophy has also changed. I think that less is more, simple is better than complicated. Just like the Airhead cannons say.... Bottom line is if I need to pack more stuff, I take the truck or it needs to stay at home. Food for thoughts.... :eat
Good luck making a decision, I think doing your research will help. :type Here are some questions you might want to ask yourself:
1. Why the need of the trailer?
2. Is it worth the added maintenance of clutch, suspension, brakes and bearings?
3. How often would I use this trailer?
4. Is it worth the added expense or should I ship things to certain locations, take more time while traveling, add laundry days?
5. Will this overtax the bike, me or the enjoyment of the adventure?

:type ... we have been 'toying' with the notion of installing a hitch for the Uni-go on the /5 and have only gotten as far as making a few bends on an old hitch. I want to review the posts (all with important observations) and get back to you a bit later today with additional thoughts. (Brakes, at least in our experience, will be an important consideration). I will post a picture of our very packed /5 (speaking of no brakes and big loads two up) in 2002. 12,000 miles and 37 states in 5 weeks on 75/5. We were at Redmond and camped with the Black Sheep. Anyway, other duties call and will get back at this later. -Bob

... :type ...ok, a bit more time now. But, like Markst1 suggested, the /5 is a wonderful piece of work on its own and (maybe) not made for a trailer. However, sidecars have been around for a while and have enjoyed a productive history thus fitted. We have (as mentioned earlier) travelled many miles around the U.S. (and loving EVERY minute of it....thank to y'all) two up. (see pic) Personally, we would have preferred to have had this little trailer with us. Far too much weight onboard. Long story but suffice to say that we were full of new-found personal blush, a basement based rebuilt motor and a big chunk of piss 'n' vinegar (read bright eyed, cuban cigars and Mr Jack sprayed over the bike). All things are possible! And we did it with no brakes. Really! Yes, the Uni-go would have been a blessing but..... would it have been the same story? :dunno We found adventure, new friends (Texas Highway Patrol ..... great help), new sites and each other. Maybe we should do a little seminar on this?? Someday maybe.

Back to the hitch and Uni-go: yes it can be done and yes the /5 is up to the task. 70 lb trailer with 50 lbs on board give about a 35 lb tongue weight. For a fit /5 it can work. R100? Perfect.

We love the /5 and Mary says it is more comfortable than the stock K1100LT (well...that's well known). Now our /5 awaits another adventure from the offspring: the Backroads of America Tour (Bob 'mapped it'). The /5, sans trailer, awaits a new adventure from one of the sons......just passing the torch. jeez....sounding a bit weepy here! :eek

Anyone interested in this little /5 fitting please contact us at: tourunigo.com

Bob and Mary
www.tourunigo.com
North America

Attachments

• Santa Barbara and Loaded.JPG
    Santa Barbara and Loaded.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 184
``

Markst1 said:
Hello,
I am no expert on trailers, but as an owner of a similar bike, I would say be kind to your venerable /5. I love my 75/6 but I try not to ask more of it than it can comfortably deliver. I have packed mine moderately heavily for touring and it does just fine. I try to avoid long rides two-up with a lot of gear mostly because I think that the suspension and brakes are not really up to the added stress.
I made the supreme sacrafice of purchacing a newer R1150GS for the extended two-up touring. Both bikes are happier, as am I, and my wife. Only my bank account suffered.
I am sure that the /5 is a great bike and a strong runner. I am also sure that going easy on it will help to keep it that way for decades to come.
Theo Marks
'74 R75/6
'01 R1150GS
Interestingly, I was once told that even with the addition of the single disc front brake on the /6 models, starting in ÔÇÖ74, I would be able to handle the added weight of a camping trailer but not to attempt it with the /5 drum brakes. Around that same time, late ÔÇÿ70ÔÇÖs, I saw several camping and cargo trailers being hauled around by. . . /5ÔÇÖs.
I chatted with the drivers and, to a man (didnÔÇÖt see many lady drivers on Beemers in those days ÔÇô some, not many. Please ÔÇô no cards, letters or hate mail!), I was told they had experienced no problems with handling if they planned ahead for the additional weight factor, drove carefully and kept their highway speeds at. . . highway speeds. None of the folks I spoke with in those days had ever had an accident, or a panic stop, when towing their campers.

Those camping units were of the ÔÇ£Cycle SleeperÔÇØ and ÔÇ£Cycle CamperÔÇØ variety and ÔÇô if I recollect - weighed in at about 180/200 pounds tagging along behind the /5ÔÇÖs. These new ÔÇÿUni-GoÔÇÖsÔÇÖ are listed at 70 pounds (empty) ÔÇô a huge difference in tagalong weight.

As one can see in these photos from the late ÔÇÿ70ÔÇÖs, ÔÇÿCycle SleeperÔÇÖ in Phoenix was advertising their camper for use on motorcycles with drum brakes. Top picture definitely a drum brake-equipped Beemer followed by a 750cc (450cc??) Honda with drums.

I was ready to buy a ÔÇ£Cycle SleeperÔÇØ in the early ÔÇÿ80ÔÇÖs when my offshore work decided otherwise and the deal was cancelled. I forgot about it for several years as my employment kept me off the /5 for a long period and my motorcycle adventures consisted of reading my monthly Owners News from start to finish.

After spying the ÔÇÿUni-GoÔÇÖ at Redmond and Trenton, and seeing a couple of them zoom through our little town the past couple of summers, IÔÇÖve started to think about a trailer again - for my strong-running venerable old /5.

Ill keep looking.thanks for the input, Theo.

Attachments

• pltr.jpg
    pltr.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 171
jdiaz said:
I think pulling a trailer would be better than putting saddlebags and a giant Luftmeister fairing on the thing, and how many people did that? Those bikes are tough.
Ooops! and Eeeek!! My /5 has been equipped with a Vetter IV fairing, complete with lowers and an original set of Krauser bags for...ever I think. Had a Heinrich handlebar fairing (and lowers) installed when I picked it up in Munich in '73 but a couple of spooky speed wobbles on the autobahn that first week convinced me to switch over to the frame-mounted Vetter when I got back home.

Saw a LOT of folks back in the late '70's and early '80's with the Vetters and Luftmeisters installed but they fell out of favour and faded from the scene. Don't see many of the barndoor fairings on the road anymore. I guess it's only anal old coots like myself that continue to paddle down the highway at exactly 60, sitting up bone straight, peering through the plexiglass wondering when the next bathroom will show up. :gerg

Weren't there a fair number of /5 and EARLIER BMW's that had drum brakes that also had hacks on them. Seems to me they had sufficient power to move and then stop a heavy hack. Respect the limitations of the bike and drive within the individual bikes capabilites. Exceed them, on any bike, at your own risk. If it bites you don't whine about your own decision to do it.

Motorman said:
Weren't there a fair number of /5 and EARLIER BMW's that had drum brakes that also had hacks on them. Seems to me they had sufficient power to move and then stop a heavy hack. Respect the limitations of the bike ...

Actually the "limitations of the bike" (/5 and later) are that BMW forbids attaching sidecars!

Sigh of relief

"Saw a LOT of folks back in the late '70's and early '80's with the Vetters and Luftmeisters installed but they fell out of favour and faded from the scene. Don't see many of the barndoor fairings on the road anymore. I guess it's only anal old coots like myself that continue to paddle down the highway at exactly 60, sitting up bone straight,..."

One of the first things that I did after purchasing my /6 from a wonderful "old coot" who had enjoyed he bike for more than 25 years was to remove the 35 Lb Luftmiester fairing (replaced with Parabellum Scout). The bike gave up an audible sigh of relief, and seemed much happier. Handles better (despite the fact that the new Parabellum is bar mounted), the suspension is improved and stops better. My /6 prefers to be unencumbered, fore and aft.
Theo Marks
'75 R75/6
'01 R1150GS

Boxerkuh said:
I have been toying with simular idea's at different times. Everytime I ask questions about it I get told one way or the other that the bike is not designed for a trailer and trailering should be left to 4 wheels. Bottom line is if I need to pack more stuff, I take the truck....Food for thoughts....
Good luck making a decision, I think doing your research will help.
Here are some questions you might want to ask yourself:
1. Why the need of the trailer?
`

Last edited:
Boxerkuh said:
I have been toying with simular idea's at different times. Everytime I ask questions about it I get told one way or the other that the bike is not designed for a trailer and trailering should be left to 4 wheels....
Good luck making a decision, I think doing your research will help.
Here are some questions you might want to ask yourself:
Is it worth the added maintenance of clutch, suspension, brakes and bearings?
ThatÔÇÖs what IÔÇÖm trying to find outÔǪis there really ÔÇ£added maintenance of clutch, suspension, brakes and bearingsÔÇØ because of the addition of the single-wheel ÔÇÿUni-GoÔÇÖ? If the trailer weighs in at 70 pounds and my collection of camping gear and equipment totals say 60 pounds, is the resulting 130 pounds of added weight being towed really going to stress my /5 components?
What's the difference for an R75/5 motorcycle between having 130 pounds in the little trailer behind the bike OR a 180-pound passenger sitting on the seat behind me? That passenger part is not a concern to me 'cuz I never ride two-up. My /5 is equipped with a solo saddle and my tote box has been mounted on a shelf mounted directly over the rear axle.

Boxerkuh said:
How often would I use this trailer?
Everytime I head out to a rally or camping trip. I think having the trailer would only add to the enjoyment of the trip. I'd probably go on more rally trips and other riding adventures if I had the trailer. Not having to wrestle the overloaded and top-heavy /5 through congested traffic (see picture above!) would sure eliminate some of the stress of the trip. It's a snap to simply unhook the trailer at a motel stop and wheel it into your room for the night. The 'Uni-Go' website video shows how fast and easy this can be accomplished. No more unloading the bike at night, haul your stuff into the room, haul it back out the next morning, reload it and hope the bungees hold 'til the next stop. Well, that's when I was using bungees - I'm now a disciple of 'Helen Two Wheels' so the little rubber cords with those eye-piercing hooks are no longer part of my travel kit. (Maybe a couple of the real small ones for emergencies...)

Boxerkuh said:
Is it worth the added expense or should I ship things to certain locations, take more time while traveling, add laundry days?
There sure would be some "added expense" - these 'Uni-Go's' don't come cheap but I'd look at it as an investment in my riding comfort and camping pleasure for the years I have ahead of me with my faithful /5.
Heading out on an extended trip for several weeks, going where the wind and road detours may take you, I think it's a good idea to be self-contained with all your requirements safely on board your own bike each day. Particularly true if one is heading to Alaska or the Yukon for a couple of weeks. Nice to be able to pack a few extra tubes and tools. If I used one of the courier services to get my stuff from one place to another, I'd always be wondering if they delivered the box to Baghdad instead of Burlington.

Boxerkuh said:
Will this overtax the bike, me or the enjoyment of the adventure?
Ummm, I don't think so, no and not likely. Thanks for the input, Boxerkuh. As you say, food for thought.

I hope some cycle trailer owners with older Beemers will ÔÇÿfess up here on the Forum and give us some detailed information on their equipment. Anybody out there with a /6 or /7 hauling a trailer?? Thanks.

Last edited:
SlashFiveTourer said:

glad you made some good use of the pic. However, Helen wouldn't find any bungees here. Ratchet straps and a solid substructure. Too much on the little fella for sure! However, it did take two people (survivors??) 12,000 miles around the U.S. Speaks well for the bike (as well as the good graces of the Gods!). Oh yeah....want to hear spooky??.... we passed a couple of HDs on a long back road in Wyoming at 90 mph (according to new digital speedometer :rocker :uhoh -Bob

tourunigo said:
glad you made some good use of the pic. However, Helen wouldn't find any bungees here. Ratchet straps and a solid substructure. Too much on the little fella for sure! However, it did take two people (survivors??) 12,000 miles around the U.S. Speaks well for the bike (as well as the good graces of the Gods!).... -Bob
No disrespect intended there in using the picture of your heavily-loaded and faithful /5, Bob. I've been in that exact same position too many times myself which is why I'm checking out the 'Uni-Go' features. I'm just gettin' too old and feeble to struggle with a top-heavy bike anymore. I'll think about it for awhile and if I have more questions, I'll contact you through your website.

Thanks for the input. ` ` :thumb

Last edited:
Just get the trailer you desire and go for it. I read this thread and have to agree, all that weight on the bike or in a trailer, it isn't going to matter to the bike. I think it would be a lot safer having the weight down low than piled on the seat and rear of the bike.

In the end, if you aren't happy with what you did, you can always sell the trailer. I'm betting you will love it. I pull a trailer some, and it is awesome having the extras along just because you have the room.

I tinkered with the trailering idea for 6 years, and all it did was cost me more money as the trailer price just kept creeping up. I could have been enjoying it for six more years if I had purchased it when I first looked at them.

What are you waiting for? Go for it!

SlashFiveTourer said:
No disrespect intended there in using the picture of your heavily-loaded and faithful /5, Bob. I've been in that exact same position too many times myself which is why I'm checking out the 'Uni-Go' features. I'm just gettin' too old and feeble to struggle with a top-heavy bike anymore. I'll think about it for awhile and if I have more questions, I'll contact you through your website.

Thanks for the input. ` ` :thumb

:type ... we have a showing at a local M/C trade mid March and are going to make your 'poster' into a real poster for display. So, obviously we appreciated your work.

Also, if you look closely at the pic, there is a U shaped grill under the bag so that the weight distributed evenly and wouldn't shift :uhoh That allowed us to access or remove the the Cravens. Grill also served as a small table when camping.

If you have any Uni-go questions at all please do contact us. -Bob

Rich said:
Just get the trailer you desire and go for it. I read this thread and have to agree, all that weight on the bike or in a trailer, it isn't going to matter to the bike. I think it would be a lot safer having the weight down low than piled on the seat and rear of the bike.

In the end, if you aren't happy with what you did, you can always sell the trailer. I'm betting you will love it. I pull a trailer some, and it is awesome having the extras along just because you have the room.

I tinkered with the trailering idea for 6 years, and all it did was cost me more money as the trailer price just kept creeping up. I could have been enjoying it for six more years if I had purchased it when I first looked at them.

What are you waiting for? Go for it!

SlashFiveTourer: I think you have done your research. I think it is time to go out and get the trailer and have some adventures. If it does not work out behind your /5 you still have the option of selling the trailer or changing it to a different bike for trailing.

Like Rich said: What are you waiting for??? :dance

Those of us who had /5s and switched to single disk /6s quickly discovered that the brake "improvement" was a double edged sword.

1. The feel of the disk brakes was better - more linear, less grabby.
2. The setup of the brakes was a wash - careful adjustment of the two drum arms wasn't needed, but careful alignment of the caliper carrier cam was.
3. In a full bore hard stop as quick as I can mode the drum brakes were superior.

There is a reason I've always called the single disk /6 the bike with BMWs first anti-lock brakes ;)

PGlaves said:
Those of us who had /5s and switched to single disk /6s quickly discovered that the brake "improvement" was a double edged sword.

1. The feel of the disk brakes was better - more linear, less grabby.
2. The setup of the brakes was a wash - careful adjustment of the two drum arms wasn't needed, but careful alignment of the caliper carrier cam was.
3. In a full bore hard stop as quick as I can mode the drum brakes were superior.

There is a reason I've always called the single disk /6 the bike with BMWs first anti-lock brakes ;)
Hello PaulG! ` ` (Hello VoniG)` ` Thanks for the feedback on the /5 and /6 brakes. More elements to add to the equation of 'should I' or 'should I not' opt for the trailer system.

I've attended several of your seminars at recent Nationals and always enjoy your expert presentations. :wave

Back