• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R50 1969 turn signals not working

1der

The bike belonged to my father who passed away last Sept. It's now my sons. He wants to ride it to the "Glen Rally" next Friday. BUT we can't get the turn signals to work. If the flasher unit is bad would the turn signal light at least come on BUT not flash? Signal lights don't even come on. Bike runs, head light high and low beam, and tail light work. Before dad passed away he tried to work on something in the head light assembly, but with dementia and alzheimer's things got a little messed up. I'm pretty sure I got all the wires back on correctly. It would help if I had a wiring diagram to read. I'm also thinking the switch would be bad. But those wires are all soldered. Any easy way to check that?
Also to adjust the valves- to get to TDC can I just bump the rear weal with the trans. in gear, or do I have to take off the front engine cover?
Hopping SOMEONE can help.
Mike 1der

PS the horn also does not work. Could just be that it is bad. If I was to run a wire from the battery +- (6v) directly to the horn it should blow, correct?

Here's a copy of links for a diagram...not the best, though:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/2man/page222.jpg
http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/2man/page223.jpg

Signals: are these barend signals by Hella? If they are, they should have been installed like this:

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/articles/howto/signal.html

Adjusting the valves: you can definitely put the bike in gear (3rd or 4th) and bump the engine around by turning the rear wheel...no need to pull the front cover. Pull the left valve cover. Using the rear wheel, turn the engine until you see the intake valve (closest to you) open and then close. Once it starts to close, side beside the bike on the left side and watch for the timing marks - first the F mark, then the S mark, finally the OT mark. I usually bump the rear wheel with my right hand a little at a time, watching for the marks. At OT, set the valves on the left side. To do the right side, you can repeat the above while watching the right intake valve. Or you can simply stay on the left side of the bike and rotate the engine 360 degrees until the next OT mark shows up. At that point the right side will be ready to set.

Horn: Pretty simple. You should really be sure the horn works off the bike. You apply +6v to one terminal and touch the other terminal to ground via a wire. Most period horns had a screw on the back which allows to adjust the internal points...yup, it has points! The way the bike works is the horn button is what completes the circuit by shorting one of the terminals to ground. It's likely that the ground path is weak through the button and the horn isn't sounding. But be sure the horn works on its own.

Thanks for the help. Bar end, I think you mean the lights are on the end of the handle bar, correct? On our bike they come out the headlight assembly. The diagram is a BIG help. also the info on the valves. We will work on this project later today, my son works 3rd shift and is sleeping now. Will post later on how we made out.
THANKS

Finally got the turn signals to work. Could not figure why a separate wire was run for the horn. We disconnected it and used the original wiring and figured out the correct ignition post to connect to. The signal lights were not using the correct connections either. They now flash but at a slow rate. I suspect a bad flasher and will replace. Bike started on the second kick.
Thanks 20774 for the BIG help.
1der

Son ordered a new flasher from NAPA , installed this evening. Works great, slight hick-up in the switch on the right side, nothing a little electrical spray won't cure.
After much, MUCH, MUCH coaching from 20774 we got the valves adjusted. Started on the first kick, purred like a 42 year-old kitten. The mufflers are a little loud, end baffles have rusted out. Son may put that next on the list.
These old bikes are a real joy to work on. Hope he have a new father-son project to endeavour on.:):)
20774- THANKS:thumb
1der
Mike Wunder

Well wouldn't you know it would happen. Went to start up the R80RT AND the flasher on it is bad. Not going to worry about it until I get home from the Glen rally. Got hand signals.:)

Back