• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1250RT (K57) residual power consomption

popi

Hi !
I've a friend with a 2022 march (K57) R1250RT that has a residual power consomption the reseller techs don't succeed to find the root cause : they decide to replace all the wiring harness ...
Does anyone has found or heared about such issue ? May be a software bug could explain this residual power consomption (it happened in 2006) ?
:beer

Greetings across the pond.
I think you are referring to what we call a “Parasitic Draw” which is running the battery down with the bike off?
There is a number of things that have come up from a bad battery to the NAV connection. If they are willing to replace the wiring harness, hopefully they have already checked those.
The bike is actually a Wethead so one of the moderators will move the post a bit later.
Good luck.
OM

Power Draw

I had a similar problem on my 2018 K1600GT where the battery would discharge in 3 or 4 days to the point it wouldn't start. When I checked is was drawing about 70 to a 100 milli-amps. It took the dealer a while to diagnose the problem but it ended up being a bad module one. There are multiple CPU's on the bikes now which can make electrical issues tough to run down.

Hope that helps.

While there are multiple modules or ECU's on the BMW one can still do a parasitic draw test with a decent multi meter that performs a current draw reading .
Simply unplug each ECU or module one at a time till the draw is near zero . 0.002 is a normal draw on most units . Here is a photo of the service manual test procedure for a K54 1250

current draw.jpg

On my R1200GS it turned out to be the ground module. You can see the thread here.

It took many months and three different dealers to get a resolution. Part of the problem was that the drain seemed to occur only after the bike had been ridden long enough to warm up.

Cheers, Ken

Back