• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1250RT bar backs

motodan

Believe I've decided on Ilium over the Heli bar-backs as I do not want 2 inches wider bars, which is what Heli's describes as their end result (though I do like looks of Heli somewhat better). Question for those having used Ilium's extraction tool, once the factory joined bar sections are separated, is it necessary to have their rental tool for any further separations? Didn't know if the factory pressing was so much greater than the reconnected assembly that future disassembly could be done without the puller. Thanks

Believe I've decided on Ilium over the Heli bar-backs as I do not want 2 inches wider bars, which is what Heli's describes as their end result (though I do like looks of Heli somewhat better). Question for those having used Ilium's extraction tool, once the factory joined bar sections are separated, is it necessary to have their rental tool for any further separations? Didn't know if the factory pressing was so much greater than the reconnected assembly that future disassembly could be done without the puller. Thanks

Some folks would fine the increase in handlebar width a plus, I think that is what make a GS nimbler in the corners.

Motodan:
I've done about 8 of the Ilium bar installs and purchased the removal tool outright from Ilium at the start.

Once the grip stub is separated from the casting, I sand down some of the paint that is on the grip side. It seems that that this black paint acts like an adhesive when pressed in from the factory. Once it's somewhat cleaned off, it doesn't have the same issue with becoming stuck. Maybe some of it is that there is a slight reduction in diameter as well.

One way or the other, you can disassemble the stub from the Ilium parts later without special tools if you want to move this assembly to another bike, or remove them completely.

Hope this helps.

Motodan:
I've done about 8 of the Ilium bar installs and purchased the removal tool outright from Ilium at the start.

Once the grip stub is separated from the casting, I sand down some of the paint that is on the grip side. It seems that that this black paint acts like an adhesive when pressed in from the factory. Once it's somewhat cleaned off, it doesn't have the same issue with becoming stuck. Maybe some of it is that there is a slight reduction in diameter as well.

One way or the other, you can disassemble the stub from the Ilium parts later without special tools if you want to move this assembly to another bike, or remove them completely.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for input Boxflyer!

I rented the tool and used it, but realized I would have been fine without it. I could see, though, where if it had been a bit stickier I'd have wished I'd rented the tool, had I not. I'm guessing better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

With my 2018 the one handle bar pulled right out, the was not coming out without the tool.

I have not tried to remove the handle bar ends since.

Back