• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ilium Works Bar Backs

Tscoots

tool

I put the bar backs on two 2014 RT's and used the tool for both. It was not so easy, even with the tool. I can't imagine not using it.

I put the bar backs on two 2014 RT's and used the tool for both. It was not so easy, even with the tool. I can't imagine not using it.

Mary I neglected to ask how you like the Ilium Bar Backs. Was the difference noticeable, did it result in a little more comfort, setting you back in the seat a bit, reducing forward lean?

Have any of you installed these Bar backs by Ilium Works made for R1200rt 2014 (+)? http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-500&pID=103
If you have, did you use or was it necessary to use the tool they sell for pulling the bars, kind of like a wheel puller, http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-550&pID=108
If you accomplished it another way, please share. Was thinking about just tapping it out with 1/2" PVC???

Thanks

Tim

I put them on my 2015RT. They help with my lean angle enough that I think they were worth the money, I'm 6'1". I rented the tool from them and was glad I did, it seemed to be a pretty straight forward install but without the tool I can imagine my cussing and wanting to use a bigger hammer.

Comfort

Mary I neglected to ask how you like the Ilium Bar Backs. Was the difference noticeable, did it result in a little more comfort, setting you back in the seat a bit, reducing forward lean?

Yes, I did notice a difference right away. I do a lot of long distance riding and they help.

I put them on my 2015RT. They help with my lean angle enough that I think they were worth the money, I'm 6'1". I rented the tool from them and was glad I did, it seemed to be a pretty straight forward install but without the tool I can imagine my cussing and wanting to use a bigger hammer.

Did not know you rent the tool?

After 12k miles with several LD rides, I decided to add these bar backs on my 2015RT. I think they are making a difference, though slight for me @ 5'-8".

If I recall correctly, if you purchase the bar backs from the Illium Works site, you have the option to put a deposit for the tool. Upon receipt and post install, once your done using the tool, you can return it for a refund.

After 12k miles with several LD rides, I decided to add these bar backs on my 2015RT. I think they are making a difference, though slight for me @ 5'-8".

If I recall correctly, if you purchase the bar backs from the Illium Works site, you have the option to put a deposit for the tool. Upon receipt and post install, once your done using the tool, you can return it for a refund.

That is correct. I did it that way. was very easy install. Comes postage paid to return tool.

Have any of you installed these Bar backs by Ilium Works made for R1200rt 2014 (+)? http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-500&pID=103
If you have, did you use or was it necessary to use the tool they sell for pulling the bars, kind of like a wheel puller, http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-550&pID=108
If you accomplished it another way, please share. Was thinking about just tapping it out with 1/2" PVC???

Thanks

Tim
Well I rented the tool, it worked great, easy job. Thanks

I didn't rent the tool. But I would suggest anyone considering buying these to rent the tool. I machined something that worked for me. Installing the throttle side was WAY to hard.

I was ok with the stock setup till I had the Russell seat done. It is a tad bit taller than average. That put too much of a sport bike lean into my posture. Which was still ok, but now with the risers I don't get the wrist pain I would get on long rides. I tended to lock my elbows with the stock setup-bad for long rides.

Fortunately Ilium was installing the bar backs at the Billings rally for $40. After they were installed, combined with lowered foot pegs (Suburban Machinery) and a BMS custom seat, the ergonomics are just about perfect for me at 5' 11".

Back