• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT 2005 fuel sensor & saddle bag

philmonat

Fellow Riders: Have a 2005 1200RT, changed the fuel sensor when I got it under warranty four years ago. (Bike was sitting for two years with previous owner, due to deployment). Worked great until the two weeks ago, when it started flashing to zero and then coming back to life, on, off, etc. I have read about a possible fix of electrical contacts under tank? Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations, I would rather not spend $450 for the shop to pull the tank, replace sensor, and re-calibrate. . .

Also, the original bags are getting harder and harder to lift up the lid open latch on. Is there anyway to open up these integrated bags and lube the mechanism? I'm afraid one is going to break (like one did two last year necessitating my purchasing a new inside bag frame.

thank you all,

You would probably be better served by posting this in the "Hexheads/Camheads" section of the Forum. Your bike isn't an Oilhead. Its one series newer. Best o' luck with finding a fix for your issues. :thumb

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!

Although your bike is beyond the BMW 12-year extended warranty for the fuel strip, I'd still at least ask your BMW dealer if they can help. It doesn't cost anything to ask.

The latch mechanism lives in an area between the shells that is not sealed, so the lubricating grease collects a lot of road dust and grit. This post and this post over at bmwsporttouring.com have some of the best mechanism pictures I've found. (I'm pretty sure they are visible to all.)

The mechanism is pretty complex, so I'd recommend taking many more pictures of your own as you disassemble the bags, and even a video from many angles. There are lots of different screws, so I draw an full size outline of the bag on scrap cardboard, and poke holes at corresponding spots to hold the screws. Clean only one side at a time, so if things don't go back together properly at first you will have a reference. The original grease looks like white lithium, I used silicone caliper grease since I had it on hand and does not thin out and run when hot. With fresh, clean lube the latches will lift with a single pinky.

You would probably be better served by posting this in the "Hexheads/Camheads" section of the Forum. Your bike isn't an Oilhead. Its one series newer. Best o' luck with finding a fix for your issues. :thumb

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!

Thank you so very much for the direction, and the kind welcome. Greatly appreciated. . .

pm

Although your bike is beyond the BMW 12-year extended warranty for the fuel strip, I'd still at least ask your BMW dealer if they can help. It doesn't cost anything to ask.

The latch mechanism lives in an area between the shells that is not sealed, so the lubricating grease collects a lot of road dust and grit. This post and this post over at bmwsporttouring.com have some of the best mechanism pictures I've found. (I'm pretty sure they are visible to all.)

The mechanism is pretty complex, so I'd recommend taking many more pictures of your own as you disassemble the bags, and even a video from many angles. There are lots of different screws, so I draw an full size outline of the bag on scrap cardboard, and poke holes at corresponding spots to hold the screws. Clean only one side at a time, so if things don't go back together properly at first you will have a reference. The original grease looks like white lithium, I used silicone caliper grease since I had it on hand and does not thin out and run when hot. With fresh, clean lube the latches will lift with a single pinky.

Thank you - I did talk to the dealer and aside from the $450 to change it out, no problem! I was hoping perhaps it was contacts under that tank. . . but I will direct that question to right forum, my mistake. As for the bags, THANK YOU for the super link to the folks who posted that up - very well done, great photos, I'm off to get some silicone grease and give it whirl. REALLY APPRECIATE IT!
PM

Back