• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200R Seat

Just purchased a used 2013R1200R. Stock seat is incredibly uncomfortable. I have read a lot about Corbin, Sargent, Russell, and Meyer. Has anyone zeroed in on the most comfortable replacement? I am thinking of going to a local shop and see if I can't get a nice plush modification. Need to keep my wife comfortable too.

I believe the 2013 came with the BMW "comfort" seat which was a huge improvement over the original seat. Many riders including me find that seat satisfactory, but not everyone. Unfortunately, everybody is different, so what works for one person may not be right for you. The best thing is if there is a custom seat maker near you is to take the bike to them and have them fit a seat to you. But that is often not possible due to you location.

Each seat maker has its fans. One thing to keep in mind about Corbin is they use their own fiberglass seat pan and it does not always fit well.

Good luck
Scott

Corbin Seat R1200R

The standard Corbin seat worked great for me. The BMW seat was an abomination.

Rick Mayer Seat

I bought a used 2003 K1200RS in LA and drove it back to San Francisco. My butt started burning after 100 miles. I then went up to Red Bluff to get a Rick Mayer seat made. I recently did a 2600 mile trip in 9 days to Utah and back, my butt had just a little discomfort after 4 or 5 hours but never burned. A Mayer seat is worth it, either from Red Bluff or Los Angeles. Two brothers making exceptional seats.
Rick W

I bought a used 2003 K1200RS in LA and drove it back to San Francisco. My butt started burning after 100 miles. I then went up to Red Bluff to get a Rick Mayer seat made. I recently did a 2600 mile trip in 9 days to Utah and back, my butt had just a little discomfort after 4 or 5 hours but never burned. A Mayer seat is worth it, either from Red Bluff or Los Angeles. Two brothers making exceptional seats.
Rick W

Rick has screwed too many people. There's a whole thread on it. Just saying.

Rick W
Welcome to the forum!
Glad your seat worked out for you.
Gary

I've had 4 Corbin seats on 4 diferent motorcycles since 1992. Every one has made the long rides so much more bearable. They support and hold shape better especially when it gets hot. And, they may be designed with your own colors! Cheers! I now have a 2013 R1200R classic!

Having your existing seat modified is also an option. I've heard many positive comments about the results of Spencer seat modifications . It will be much cheaper than a custom seat as well.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

After hearing about Spencer I contacted him some time ago about an R1200R seat. He refused to do it, claiming he cracked a seat base trying to staple into it. Surprisingly, Sargent who offers a redo of the R1200R seats doesn't seem to have that problem.

Perhaps he has gotten sharper staples?

I have a seat from Rich's in Washington state. They use the original seat pan and fit to your body requirements. I know this may not be in your neck of the woods, but it might be an alternative. And, yes i love the seat, 500 mile days fly by with no issues.

http://www.richscustomseats.com/

2013-Oct-25 Rich's seat.jpg

Last edited:
I just rode 3000 miles in a week on my replacement Corbin leather seat and it is a great improvement over stock.

Back