• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RT Stainless Lines

johnwraystewart

I have just joined, and recently acquired a 2002 R1150RT. It looks like I've got a leak around the front brake line, so I'm looking to replace. Apologies if this is a FAQ; I've tried my best at searching posts here before posting.

I'm finding the Spiegler kit:
https://spieglerusa.com/bmw-r-1150-rt-front-rear-brake-line-kit-r-1150-rt-s-bm0172.html

And a Galfer kit:
https://galferusa.com/product/bmw-2002-r-1150-rt-abs-multiple-lines-fk003d792-5

I saw mention of Russel, but couldn't find a kit.

The Galfer kit is slightly less expensive, but not much.

Just wondering if anyone recommend one highly over another? thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
At the bottom of the page you may find some helpful threads.
Good luck.
Gary

Ordered. I was impatient.

Hopefully the leak is not too bad, planning a big trip Monday

I've never read or heard a single bad word about the Spieglers from any BMW owner anywhere. Everyone says they're worth it. By contrast I've found a few threads here and there complaining about improper fit with Galfers on Motorrads, and annoyingly slow turnaround times in getting the fitment issues fixed.

I think you made the right choice. The slight increase in cost is worth the stellar track record.

Spiegler all the way. Keep in mind that the banjos are adjustable which makes fitment a snap.

Galfer. Just kidding! Spiegler. I put some on my 1150RT and was really happy with them.

I agree on Spiegler lines. And I will add the reminder that Tom Cutter, one of our very valuable own, is a Spiegler vendor at the Rubber Chicken Racing Garage.

I agree on Spiegler lines. And I will add the reminder that Tom Cutter, one of our very valuable own, is a Spiegler vendor at the Rubber Chicken Racing Garage.

Nice shout out for Tom Cutter. Thanks, brake lines are on my to do list in the future on my 1100.

Lines

I'll only add that I thought my brakes were perfect on my stock '04 RT, but over the winter I swapped out the original's to Spiegler and the improvement is remarkable.

They arrived yesterday; hopefully will dig in this weekend.

I ended up NOT taking the 1150RT on the long cycle trip. Flat tire 10 miles in, eek! Rear tire, fortunately leaked slowly enough I had control the whole time. First time in 20+ years of motorcycling I've ever had that happen. Fully loaded and 2-up, soo.

So I took my old Yamaha XS1100 on the trip instead.

Looking at the kit, it doesn't seem like a whole lot of stuff in there; am curious how there could be enough lines to replace everything (because isn't there brake line from the master cylinders to the ABS pump, plus the lines from the ABS pump unit to the brakes themselves?). I shall find out soon enough, I guess!

They arrived yesterday; hopefully will dig in this weekend.

I ended up NOT taking the 1150RT on the long cycle trip. Flat tire 10 miles in, eek! Rear tire, fortunately leaked slowly enough I had control the whole time. First time in 20+ years of motorcycling I've ever had that happen. Fully loaded and 2-up, soo.

So I took my old Yamaha XS1100 on the trip instead.

Looking at the kit, it doesn't seem like a whole lot of stuff in there; am curious how there could be enough lines to replace everything (because isn't there brake line from the master cylinders to the ABS pump, plus the lines from the ABS pump unit to the brakes themselves?). I shall find out soon enough, I guess!

There are five lines total. The line from the front M/C goes to a junction on the frame and not all the way to the ABS module. That's why it appears shorter. And another line goes from another ABS module junction to another junction block down to both front calipers. It's very clear once you get the tank off and start the process.

Five lines:

2) for each front brake caliper to fork bridge junction block
1) front M/C to frame junction block
1) from frame junction block to lower fork bridge junction block
1) from rear caliper to rear junction line

RPG

Back