• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150GSA wheel compatibility between NONservo ABS and Servo ABS brake models.

plexiform

Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this issue. I have a 2002 GSA and purchased used wheels from a later model. My 2002 has non-servo ABS and the wheels I bought came from a servo-ABS bike. There is a clearly visible difference in the hub of the front wheel. But the parts micro-fiche does not say these wheel hubs are different. I'm wondering if the non-servo ABS ring can be mounted to the Wheel hub via the same bolt that mounts the wheel hub to the rotor?

Later model front wheel with servo-assisted ABS. (rotor and ABS ring mounted to the wheel hub at the same place with the same bolt)
IMG_8806.jpg

Earlier Model front wheel with NON-servo ABS model (rotor and ABS ring mount to the wheel hub at different points with separate bolts)
IMG_8549.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to use these wheels interchangeably between the earlier and later model bikes with different ABS brakes? Thanks.

There are 3 hubs listed on the max fiche

01 36 31 8 522 409 WHEEL HUB, FRONT (from 09/02)
FOR VEHICLES WITH ABS ELECTRONIC EVO (CODE: X684A) :
01 36 31 2 314 272 WHEEL HUB, FRONT (to 09/02)
NOT FOR VEHICLES WITH ABS ELECTRONIC EVO (CODE: X684A) :
01 36 31 8 522 409 WHEEL HUB, FRONT (to 09/02)

(interesting the hub is backwards in the assembly sequence - ABSII ABS ring tabs should be on the left side of the bike)

The earlier cast ring can't be mounted to the later servo hub without custom fabrication - I have not tried that.

Attachments

• GSA hub.png
    GSA hub.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this issue. I have a 2002 GSA and purchased used wheels from a later model. My 2002 has non-servo ABS and the wheels I bought came from a servo-ABS bike. There is a clearly visible difference in the hub of the front wheel. But the parts micro-fiche does not say these wheel hubs are different. I'm wondering if the non-servo ABS ring can be mounted to the Wheel hub via the same bolt that mounts the wheel hub to the rotor?

Later model front wheel with servo-assisted ABS. (rotor and ABS ring mounted to the wheel hub at the same place with the same bolt)
View attachment 79472

Earlier Model front wheel with NON-servo ABS model (rotor and ABS ring mount to the wheel hub at different points with separate bolts)
View attachment 79473

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to use these wheels interchangeably between the earlier and later model bikes with different ABS brakes? Thanks.
Wondering if your ABS2 is working with iABS (3) servo style stamped steel with hole tone ring? I have a R1100GS and want to install a R1150RT rear wheel for rainy winter road use. According to larigrider.com it can and would work with disclaimer of course

Last edited:
Back