• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150 GS Brake light conundrum

Ridingman1
I have a 2001 R1150 GS. The brake light is activated (bright) without the hand switch or foot switch depressed. When the foot switch is depressed the tail light dims.

If I unhook the foot switch connector under the seat, hand switch works correctly.

I replaced the foot switch and the tail light tests correctly. There are no symptoms with other electronics. I have the wiring diagram.

Something is making up the foot switch connection or it is reversed (the tail light dims when the foot switch is depressed.) The only thing I have not done is trace the foot switch circuit from the connector under the seat. How does the fuse box affect this circuit? Does anyone have any advice about how to further test and correct the foot switch wiring?

Richard Ridlehuber
BMWMOA 76914
Spartanburg SC

Last edited:
bulb

Have you changed the bulb and put it in backwards? I did that to a car once. Get a test meter and check the hot wires see what is up.

Thanks for the reply - I put the bulb in as many ways as possible and it made no difference.

Richard Ridlehuber
BMWMOA 76914
Spartanburg, SC

I am a bit confused....
You said you 'replaced' the foot switch (with a new one?) or pushed it back into the connector?
And it still does the same thing?

I just did a service on an 01 with the brake light on all the time - turned out to be a little rock wedged in between the switch actuator arm and the switch body.

FYI:
Both switches are wired in parallel, either will activate the brake.
The rear foot switch is a normally closed contact held open by the brake pedal until it depressed.
Fuse F1 feeds the brake lamp circuit
Fuse F2 feeds the tail lamp/side lamp circuit

I have a 2001 R1150 GS. The brake light is activated (bright) without the hand switch or foot switch depressed. When the foot switch is depressed the tail light dims.

If I unhook the foot switch connector under the seat, hand switch works correctly.

I replaced the foot switch and the tail light tests correctly. There are no symptoms with other electronics. I have the wiring diagram.

Something is making up the foot switch connection or it is reversed (the tail light dims when the foot switch is depressed.) The only thing I have not done is trace the foot switch circuit from the connector under the seat. How does the fuse box affect this circuit? Does anyone have any advice about how to further test and correct the foot switch wiring?

Richard Ridlehuber
BMWMOA 76914
Spartanburg SC

It sounds like you replaced it with a two position switch with 3 contacts, and that you've wired in the normally open pair instead of the normally closed pair, is that possible?

It sounds like you replaced it with a two position switch with 3 contacts, and that you've wired in the normally open pair instead of the normally closed pair, is that possible?

I think that is what I did.
The part I purchased is 61 31 2 305 988. It was the only one available at the dealer.

I think need 61 31 1 459 747.

I am also experiencing ABS faults (lights won't stop flashing after the pull away test). I hope the ABS issue is related to the brake switch problem.

I am a bit confused....
You said you 'replaced' the foot switch (with a new one?) or pushed it back into the connector?
And it still does the same thing?

The original foot switch was worn out and obviously not working. I cleaned it with contact cleaner, but the ball under the switch spring was compressed into the housing.

Whoa! ABS Faults? You said no other electronic issues..... Do you have servo brakes?
in that case both switches input to the ABS module and the module sends out the brake signal.
The ABS Module may need to be scanned and reset.

This is what the fiche says
61312305988 MICRO SWITCH, PILOT CURRENT, FOOT BRAKE - L=580MM $50.31ADD TO CART
This is a rear brake switch for vehicles WITH integral ABS.

OR.......if no servo brakes

You bought the wrong switch

Last edited:
Do you have servo brakes?

I am going to say non-servo brakes. It has Brembo calibers and the rider information display shows two ABS lights that flash alternately.
I can find no mention of servo brakes in any of the literature that came with the bike.

There were no ABS faults before I installed the incorrect switch.

Please advise if there is a better way to determine servo brakes.

Pardon my ignorance. This is my first GS. I have been riding a '74 R90/6.

I am going to say non-servo brakes. It has Brembo calibers and the rider information display shows two ABS lights that flash alternately.
I can find no mention of servo brakes in any of the literature that came with the bike.

There were no ABS faults before I installed the incorrect switch.

Please advise if there is a better way to determine servo brakes.

Pardon my ignorance. This is my first GS. I have been riding a '74 R90/6.

Servo brakes are power brakes, they make a whirring sound when the brakes are applied. Also you have very little braking if the ignition is off. I doubt if your machine is new enough, they started switching over in '02. The servo calipers will say BMW on the side as well.
It looks to me like you bought the wrong switch.

You should have bought:
61311459747 REAR STOP LIGHT SWITCH 0.05 1 $49.15

Problem solved

As a follow-up, I received the correct switch today, rush delivery from nearby dealer, and installed it in 10 minutes. That solved the brake light problem.

The ABS fault persisted, so I followed the ABS reset instructions at http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html and the ABS fault was corrected.

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I have only been riding motorcycles for a year and the GS is my second bike. Prior to the GS, my motorcycle experience has been based on my 1974 R90/6 that I inherited from my late dad.

Back