• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Purpose of new Switch on ‘98 R1100RT Right Hand Control?

Paul_F

RK Ryder
The local BMW dealership informed me that I needed a new right hand control unit, which arrived today.

Above the turn signal cancel switch is a yellow button which moves sideways. Called the dealership and the service/parts department double checked my bike’s VIN and his parts fiche and although he did not know the purpose of the switch, he assured me that it would work on my ‘98 R1100RT.

is he right and what does that switch control? :dunno

My guess is that its for heated grips, but not 100% sure. On my 04 R1150RT that is where the heated grip switch is, but its a gray rocker type switch.

Oops, guess my speculation was a bit off. I would have thought that the old switch gear would have had a headlamp switch there also though? I need to stick to later oilheads more similar to my 04.

US models have lacked a headlight on-off switch for a long time while European models had such a switch. The new switch might have been for models sold where full time headlights were not required, or for Authority bikes in the US.

Three-position yellow switch below the starter button that moves parallel to the handlebar it's mounted on?

My own 1996 RT came with the same switch (used). It turns the headlight/taillight circuit on and off. As Paul said, that switch did not come on any US-market RT's from the factory unless they were Authority models.

I am assuming then that since this is a shut off switch, the high/low switch on the left handle bar assembly will still work when I install this.

Mystery solved!

Thank you for the replies.

Paul

Back