• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pressure washer use thoughts

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Having read a few threads recently about water intrusion into places it shouldn’t easily reminded me of some finds and probable causes talking to various owners.

The most common I have seen is water in the Paralever on a lot of R1200 and K12/13/1600 models. Sure, a lot of front boots are torn on GS’s and easy for water to get in that way, but a lot of in place, non-damaged boots also have had water when dropping final drive. In talking to the operators, none have driven in high water, however admitted to pressure washing the bikes close range.
On earlier 1100/1150’s the HES symptoms often are after a wash, though the insulation is going to fail at some point even in a rainy ride, so cannot use it as a root cause.
I admit on occasion I have stopped in a bay and sprayed crud off bikes… more often it’s a garden hose at 60 gpm on a good day. On the pressure washer it’s about three feet back and try to go in direction rain would normally travel front to back, more light spray than full blast! I never spray instrument cluster or ignition switch area.
Not the wash method police and not needing to hear you’ve done it that way for years :laugh Just throwing it out there that the bikes most likely designed with front to back rain in mind with connector orientation and water shedding abilities… just sayin’ it could be a factor. I’ve watched friends peel paint, vinyl, insulation and occasionally parts only to not have bike start up afterwards… only to look at me in a panic and delay the ride.

Was curious about speed at nozzle of average home pressure washer
Saw this
E8FF032C-E33D-4D4A-BA33-6F369D2BE11B.jpeg

Don’t think you would ever encounter that velocity though sometimes it feels that way!

For you math fellows:

DB2F7302-209F-44F2-8559-A03A3B675D9A.jpg

Pressure washers can cause a lot of damage and can force contaminates into areas that would not normally “see” contaminates. Road salt being one of the damaging contaminates.

61246434.jpg

Problems usually show up long after the pressure washer use.

OM

Back