• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Power Socket ??? '23 RT

I couldn't find room for a fuse-box on my 22R1250RT, I did on my 14R1200RT, it didn't have a lean angle sensor. The Hex Cam was the best way to go in my option.

The manual says it's 10 Amps total on my 14RT, higher then my buddies wethead GS (13R1200GS which was 5 Amps total, both accessory plugs). He needed air, I plugged in my air-compressor to his BMW accessory outlet and the can bus shut down. I was parked next to him, not problem with my RT. BMW did change the GS limit I believe it's 10 Amps. It's 12 Amps total on my 22R1250RT. Check your manual.

1709149847031.png

True, if the outlet is rated at 5 A, then it shouldn't be a problem (Vest is 4 A), but add anything else and it begins. Sounds like the SAE connection, from the battery, is the best bet, for multiple items.

Steve
If you run them at max power, yes. If you run them at less than max power, it won't draw max rated amps.

Back to the originally posted question - I mentioned that I had used a vest and gloves without any issues. The manual for the R1250RT (page 249) specs the total power available at the sockets at 12A. This is plenty to run vests and gloves. During one of the BMW launch videos they mentioned it was meant to be able to power two vests (rider and passenger) using the two sockets. People commenting on it being only 5A are likely thinking about other models/years.

Back to the originally posted question - I mentioned that I had used a vest and gloves without any issues. The manual for the R1250RT (page 249) specs the total power available at the sockets at 12A. This is plenty to run vests and gloves. During one of the BMW launch videos they mentioned it was meant to be able to power two vests (rider and passenger) using the two sockets. People commenting on it being only 5A are likely thinking about other models/years.
Both the 16RS and 11RT are limited to 5 amps. That's interesting BMW upped the amps through the DIN on at least your model and year.

Sounds like that is running TWO different outlets?
If this is the the correct information that you are providing, it would be necessary to double the heat controllers as two outlets were being used.
Just wondering.
OM

Interesting, So 6 Amps per socket. I found it on page 259 (not 249).

Thanks,

Steve

1709220030224.png

Interesting, So 6 Amps per socket. I found it on page 259 (not 249).

Thanks,

Steve

View attachment 96915
It's not split between the two sockets - it's the two in total. So you could have 8A on one socket and 2A on the other with no problem. Mine is on page 249 - there are multiple versions of the manuals as they revise them over time.

page.jpg

Sounds like that is running TWO different outlets?
If this is the the correct information that you are providing, it would be necessary to double the heat controllers as two outlets were being used.
Just wondering.
OM

Not sure what you mean. I take the "total" to mean the two sockets are on the same circuit and there's a limit of a 12A draw on the circuit.

It's not split between the two sockets - it's the two in total. So you could have 8A on one socket and 2A on the other with no problem. Mine is on page 249 - there are multiple versions of the manuals as they revise them over time.

View attachment 96916
Great, thanks for pointing that out, 12 total, no matter how you get there. What will happen if you exceed that, will you blow a fuse or have to reset something???

Steve

Great, thanks for pointing that out, 12 total, no matter how you get there. What will happen if you exceed that, will you blow a fuse or have to reset something???

Steve
It turns the circuit off. It resets when you turn the bike off and restart.

My 2015 R1200RT's manual, page 169, says the max rating of all on-board sockets, combined, is 10amps. I've used my old Gerbing heated jacket w/heattroller w/o problems. Nothing else hooked into any socket.

I wonder if the GPS mount is included in the socket count?

My 2015 R1200RT's manual, page 169, says the max rating of all on-board sockets, combined, is 10amps. I've used my old Gerbing heated jacket w/heattroller w/o problems. Nothing else hooked into any socket.

I wonder if the GPS mount is included in the socket count?
No, it's on it's own circuit, as part of the wiring harness, and has access to other channels (for speed and telemetry data) on the LC boxers and other newer models.

Just a video update on how I wound up hooking up my Gerbing heated gear. Thanks for all the ideas, and help.

Steve

I'm trying to find out, how many amps is the power socket, below the right side glove box is rated for? I want to plug in a Gerbing vest and gloves and just want to make sure I don't fry out the wiring, I couldn't find it in the manual.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
I have a Gerbing LT jacket and G3 gloves that I plug into the right-side power outlet and have never had a problem with the outlet being shut down because of too much amp draw. 2018RT and 2021RT.

I have a Gerbing LT jacket and G3 gloves that I plug into the right-side power outlet and have never had a problem with the outlet being shut down because of too much amp draw. 2018RT and 2021RT.
My understanding is 12 Amps total, between the two outlets, anyway you get there. A jacket (6 A), and gloves (2 A), so 8 Amps for you. Your passenger could use anything with 4 A, or less like a vest 4 A, without a problem. Guys here have been very helpful.

Steve

I stopped worrying about max factory amps by replacing the front right side socket on my '23 RT with a Powerlet socket kit with a 20 amp fuse that is wired directly to the battery. The socket doubles as a convenient maintenance charger socket.

My understanding is 12 Amps total, between the two outlets, anyway you get there. A jacket (6 A), and gloves (2 A), so 8 Amps for you. Your passenger could use anything with 4 A, or less like a vest 4 A, without a problem. Guys here have been very helpful.

Steve
Might find that all works under perfect circumstances.
OM

Back