• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Portland to Spokane & back

bob_m

I had a presentation I needed to give in Spokane. It is only 343 miles by the shortest route, so rather than fly I opted to ride and take a couple of vacation days on each end of the Wednesday event for travel. I did not take the shortest route. Having ridden the Columbia River Gorge innumerable times, I simply went on the interstate to Hwy 97, and crossed over to the Washington side to ride a two lane route to Kenniwick. From there I took hwy 12 through the rolling wheat farming region of the Palouse to Colfax. The grain crops were lush green and the undulating terrain was cloaked in green velvet. Hit one short rain squall just south of Spokane, just enough to rinse the bugs off my face shield. The event was over at about 4:00 so I packed up and rode east and then south on Hwy 95. This route parallels the massive mountain lake of Coeur De Lane then wends its way through a transition zone between the Palouse and the Rocky Mt. foothills. In the valleys the ride was surrounded by the tall luxuriant wheat, and then the road would climb a foothill ridge through pines to a view of the agricultural richness below; repeat. As I neared Lewiston I saw a sign that read “Frontage Road, Scenic Viewpoint”. What I found was that I had been meandering across a high plateau and that the “frontage road” looped and twisted down the face of the Snake River gorge. The drop was about 1500’. At first tar snakes heightened my pucker factor, but further down the cliff face the pavement got better and I assumed my cautious but enthusiastic pace. I camped at Hell’s Gate State Park on a branch of the dammed Snake River. With a beer in hand, as I walked along the water's edge at twilight, I saw a large owl fly by.

After food and fuel I headed south over Hwy 129 from Clarkston to Enterprise. This is Rattlesnake Pass. The road is beautiful, twisty and remote, running down to the Grande Ronde River near the Snake in Hell’s Canyon. It is really big country. Again I assumed my “old man’s” enthusiastic pace which I am sure would be laughable to more courageous riders. On the Oregon side, I stopped for a few minutes to watch a Golden Eagle soaring just overhead. My first positive I.D. of that awesome bird.

The ride from there was pretty much a run back to the barn. I rested for a bit on a pic nic table near Umatilla, and woke up to find the heat had dissipated from the engine. The wind between La Grande and Troutdale was strong and gusty. That made the ride frenetic. My 1982 R100RS ran flawlessly. The presentation went well.

Photos are of Hwy 3 north of Enterprise, and a Palouse hill in the late afternoon. Look for the car on the Hwy 3 photo to appreciate the scale of the canyon.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Just completed a trip from San Diego to the Portland area and back. Spent the first night at Lake Tahoe, where I got snowed on at elevation. Second day took me to Bend, and the third day to Vancouver down the Washington side of the Gorge. Heading back, I took the 101 coast route to Oakland, and then hit the 5 back to San Diego. 850 miles on the last day back. Bike performed flawlessly and had a great ride. Beautiful and diverse geography along the route, and, surprisingly, didn't get much rain at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a presentation I needed to give in Spokane. It is only 343 miles by the shortest route, so rather than fly I opted to ride and take a couple of vacation days on each end of the Wednesday event for travel. I did not take the shortest route...

Nice ride report. I've done many of the same roads with the same excitement and enthusiasm as you. There's so much great riding to be had. I'm always scoping out backroads for future rides.

Every other weekend is a four day weekend for me, and the spouse (retired) and I are planning to do Rattlesnake at some point in the next two months. I know it won't be as green and beautiful in July or August as it is now, but thanks for the picture. Really looking forward to the ride.

Back