• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Planning...Cooperstown to Cape Breton

rick601

This may sound like a general topic, but it intended as a fairly specific question. My son and I are travelling from Upstate NY to Cape Breton (Cabot trail) later in August. Usually on our longer trips (Ashville NC, Wilmington NC) and even our day trips, we sort of do a little research on sights, get a general route to our destination picked out, MAYBE think of a first night destination and play the rest by ear. Now I knowe there is a topic right there, but my question has to do with where we are going....I'm not real familiar with Canada, let alone the wilds (?) of Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. Does the area lend itself to such impromptu touring? If we start looking for a campground or reasonable hotel at 3 in the afternoon, are we likely to find something before dark? I realize "the area" covers many different areas. So any comment on both the adventure part and the getting to the adventure part are welcome.

BTW I'm on a 2016 RT , and he's on a big HD (2014 Electraglide).[EDIT...BIG EDIT! He can't decide whether to take the KLR or the Harley...thoughts??? he says the KLR is all day comfortable, can cruise well, 70 or more, and he can load it as well as the bagger.]

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but the consensus on this one will guide my further inquiries. as to some route choices etc.
TIA

Last edited:
I haven't been to Cape Breton in years, but my last trip I planned a central campground and toured from there. The island is small enough to make day trips from about anywhere and easily return in the evening. Lovely place, and wonderful people. Have fun.

I haven't been to Cape Breton in years, but my last trip I planned a central campground and toured from there. The island is small enough to make day trips from about anywhere and easily return in the evening. Lovely place, and wonderful people. Have fun.

ah! that's a great suggestion...I didn't realize the island was small enough to do that. The more I enlarged it on Google maps, the more nights I thought we'd need...Island got bigger And BIGGER...lol

ah! that's a great suggestion...I didn't realize the island was small enough to do that. The more I enlarged it on Google maps, the more nights I thought we'd need...Island got bigger And BIGGER...lol

2005 r1200rt
the wife and i just got back from newfound land last week, left from south carolina and in ny state now hanging out for a few weeks. we got really lucky 20 days and no rain

our first time in nova scotia and cape breton, area was really nice to visit and not crowded at all, very little traffic. as for finding places to stay on the way up we had a list of cheap hotels with us in the area we though we'd be in at around 3ish or 4ish, no problems at all. on the way back we just winged it and again no problems..20 days total. lot more expensive up there so be prepared. we liked cape breton but wasnt up to what i though it should of looked like, cant beat living in the smokie mts.. , as for the rock " nufieland" it was beautiful.
hope this helps you some.

I lived in Nova Scotia from '96-'02 and frequently traveled all the maritime provinces. Campgrounds galore, small mom/pop B&B, etc. There's a campground on the Margaree River in Cape Breton (can't remember the name) that we often camped at. If you're camping, be prepared for the black flies; if there's no wind they can be an issue.

Duane

I lived in Nova Scotia from '96-'02 and frequently traveled all the maritime provinces. Campgrounds galore, small mom/pop B&B, etc. There's a campground on the Margaree River in Cape Breton (can't remember the name) that we often camped at. If you're camping, be prepared for the black flies; if there's no wind they can be an issue.

Duane

Big thanks on the black fly warning. Upstate NY it's pretty much only beginning of spring/summer

Back