• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

pinstripes on 72 r75

Hi
Got a nice 72 curry swb. Picked up a set of wixom bags and after a few months of elbow grease, parts, and paint I have a nice looking cruiser. I also have a few lwb 5's and like the pinstripes on the tank. So my question to the group is how come there are no stripes on 72 toasters but stripes on the 73s. And I am going to get bags striped and want to stripe the tank as well. What do you think about striping the tank?
Thanks
brian

Last edited:
Why were there no pinstripes on '72 toasters? Because that is the way that Hans determined (and designed) it to be.

It's your bike, so stripe it if you like, but I'd go with black only, dual stripe. Not sure if one of the stripes should be narrower than the other. Find a photo of a striped '73 to guide your painter.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of a '73 or probably a '73 1/2 taken in the 1970's with one pinstripe around the toaster chrome.
The polished parts were not stock but almost positive the Striping was.

image.jpeg

Charlie

p.s. Incidentally, the photo has the only image of the country house we have, where we lived for 14 yrs during the '70's and 80's. Rent was $50/month. Lots a /5's around then, and you knew every BMW in town. Ah, the Good Ole Days.

My LWB "1973" R75/5 did not have pinstripes on the toaster tank. Silver with blues stripes on the fenders only.

Build date was 12/72

Back